Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering box rebuild
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: steering box rebuild Reply with quote

hi folks,i have a 1968 standard beetle and i pulled the cover off my steering box and the inside of it was full of nasty sludge.i think its time to rebuild it maybe?anyways is there anyone who sells rebuild kits for them (basically new gaskets and parts)?and what type of oil did they use?thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spotco2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen a kit for those in years.

They are not very expensive to replace with a reman unit.

VW's are not just a car, they're an adventure!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have some threads showing on the adjustment screw and can adjust out the slop, just clean it and refill it. It may not hold oil anymore, many folks fill it with grease. You'll need to get creative with new plugs on the cover.
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In doing a full restoration, would taking the steering box apart be a good idea, or should I not touch it if it was working? It's the original from the car.
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the price of a replacement steering box on a super lately? They are expensive. Like over $350 bucks if you can find one. I would do everything I could to preserve the one you have. If it holds oil, make sure it's filled. If it doesn't, pop the top, clean it out, and fill it with grease. There is no drain on it, so if you have it off the bug, I'd probably clean it out either way. Someone could make some money just on the steering box when parting out rust bucket supers if it's in good working condition. There is a guy on ebay selling "reconditioned" super boxes. My guess is that he is just combining parts from multiple units to make one good one.
Drag0nHart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotrat wrote:
Have you looked at the price of a replacement steering box on a super lately? They are expensive. Like over $350 bucks if you can find one. I would do everything I could to preserve the one you have. If it holds oil, make sure it's filled. If it doesn't, pop the top, clean it out, and fill it with grease. There is no drain on it, so if you have it off the bug, I'd probably clean it out either way. Someone could make some money just on the steering box when parting out rust bucket supers if it's in good working condition. There is a guy on ebay selling "reconditioned" super boxes. My guess is that he is just combining parts from multiple units to make one good one.

I think the OP has a 68 beetle...in that case it's only around $120.00 for a new one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Drag0nHart on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
rzepko6194
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotrat wrote:
Have you looked at the price of a replacement steering box on a super lately? They are expensive. Like over $350 bucks if you .

The question was regarding a steering box for 68 "standard" NOT a "super". Standard boxes are about $100 new.
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnems wrote:
In doing a full restoration, would taking the steering box apart be a good idea, or should I not touch it if it was working? It's the original from the car.

I know guys, I was answering Vinnems question.
Drag0nHart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the exploded view of your standard steering box if you do attempt to take it apart...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=401488&start=0

It seems a lot less complex than the ones for the Supers...

Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been through a few standard boxes. Seems like the worm gear wears out more than anything. If the seals are shot, fill it with grease instead of oil. I've heard that most people over-tighten their boxes and ruin them. New ones also seem to come set too tight. After cracking a few open, you'll learn that there isn't much too them. The big allen should just be finger tight to remove any axial play. The bearings are in a plastic retainer. The roller should be adjusted to just tough the worm with less than 1" of slop. If you try to get all the slop out, you'll over-tighten it.

In SoCal you can get used ones for $0-$20 bucks off CL. Heck, you can get a complete beam drum to drum with the steering box for $50 every now and then
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool pics lottrat. I think this weekend I'll take apart my Super's steering box and try to put together a picture tutorial on cleaning it and putting it bac together. I love those kinds of topics Very Happy
Douglas A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Steering box Reply with quote

Lotrat wrote:
I've been through a few standard boxes. Seems like the worm gear wears out more than anything. If the seals are shot, fill it with grease instead of oil. I've heard that most people over-tighten their boxes and ruin them. New ones also seem to come set too tight. After cracking a few open, you'll learn that there isn't much too them. The big allen should just be finger tight to remove any axial play. The bearings are in a plastic retainer. The roller should be adjusted to just tough the worm with less than 1" of slop. If you try to get all the slop out, you'll over-tighten it.

In SoCal you can get used ones for $0-$20 bucks off CL. Heck, you can get a complete beam drum to drum with the steering box for $50 every now and then
Quote:
I know this is an older post, just took my 1970 "bug" steering box apart, to inspect. All metal parts inside not plastic? I had no slop in my steering, however on the bench it felt like it was grinding or binding. Somebody had over tighten it. So it was a good time to flush everthing out and readjust. Also sombody had filled it up with grease as well.
missourimark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of grease do youse guys use?
John Pedersen 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know the size of the 2 bearings ? And the 2 seals ?

/John
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box rebuild Reply with quote

Has anyone rebuilt theirs? I want to rebuild mine for a 73. I would like to know where you bought the parts if you did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box rebuild Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Has anyone rebuilt theirs? I want to rebuild mine for a 73. I would like to know where you bought the parts if you did.

You need to read this thread top to bottom before proceeding:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446

The guy who started the thread now makes rebuild kits containing the bearings, seals, and gaskets you will need.

Read that thread all the way through so you know what you're getting into.
New2me69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box rebuild Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
kawfee wrote:

You need to read this thread top to bottom before proceeding:

The guy who started the thread now makes rebuild kits containing the bearings, seals, and gaskets you will need.

Read that thread all the way through so you know what you're getting into.

I was following that thread as it happened and when I was running into steering box issues. That thread is EPIC and book marked it a while back. I have a VW box in the garage that I will eventually re-do and that thread is key to my success. I rebuilt one back then too (got lucky it all worked out) but it was before he had his stuff complete. Next one though......
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box rebuild Reply with quote

That's a very nice thread. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box rebuild Reply with quote

OKType3Tim looks like he has done a few. Might as well send to him with his expertise.
Jamgraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: steering box rebuild Reply with quote

I'm no expert in the field but I can tell you one thing. If your box is leaking rebuild it or at the very least put new seals in it and adjust it properly. DON'T PUT GREASE IN IT! I recently rebuilt my steering box. More accurately I bought a bunch of cores and rebuilt one that had oil in it and not grease. Mine was full of grease and was junk. All of the cores I opened that were full of grease were destroyed. My personal theory, he clearance in the roller shaft doesn't allow grease to get into the roller bearings. On all of the boxes I opened up that were full of grease, the roller shaft had seized cut grooves into the roller and the worm. Read this thread:

This man knows what he's talking about. I bought my rebuild kit from him.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: