Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chopping the Top on a VW Bug
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
auto doug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Chopping the Top on a VW Bug Reply with quote

I have an extra Bug setting in my storage bldg that I don't have time for so tryed to sell it, but nobody in our area wanted it! Crying or Very sad (It is a project), but a good rust free California car. So I put an add on C.L. Can't sell it might as well chop it! Shocked I had a tremendous response, so we set a date, and this past weekend followed through with the Chop.
We had seven guys sign up, after some coffee, rolls and get-to-know one another, we hovered around the sacraficial Bug Smile and disussed how to, how not to, what to look out for when you make cuts, how the angels will change etc. Confused Then it was time to start cutting. Chopping the top on any vehicle is a difficult task, so I decided to keep it simple with this one, so a rear pivot 3 inch slant chop would be the theme. The class looked on as the initial cutting took place, I'm sure they were wondering what is this guy thinking! Think But with in a few minutes the top slanting forward and down 3 inches at the front, the post were kicked back and out to fit the new design, and they all started to see the concept take shape and became anxious Anxious to join in, lots of trimming, fitting, relief cuts, tack welding, more fitting, welding lots of thinking, and more trimming fitting and welding! more thinking. After two seven hour days we had a nice mild looking chopped VW Bug, Dancing now it's on to flairing the fenders raising the lips, maybe pancake the hood, and so on Wink . I guess I'd better set up another seminar class! here are a few picture of the class in action.
This first picture is a rusty bug I have lying around so a few days piror I made a pratice run and the other bug before the chop
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here are some quick razer blade chops I did with pictures to get an Idea of the look I'd say things went as planed.

DogN8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how the cut angles work; letting the entire roof sit lower without having to do major surgery on the top metal. Too bad you guys are halfway across the country. Your chop is the essence of the kiss principle in action.

Any more detailed pics?

Nice work
auto doug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes chopping a top doesn't need to be all that dramatic most vehicle bodies can be inproved apon just by minor tweeking! the little bugs are ment to be chopped some radical and some suttle it makes for good conversation. Wink The way I did the slant chop was simple, and it makes for a fast foward look and can be done by almost anyone with some body working skills, in a weekend Very Happy . I'm providing all the guys who attended my seminar a DVD of the two days activaties, maybe I could provide the same to anyone with interest ? my wife took a few pictures during the class, I'll have to look at them to see about details etc.
Major tweeks can also be acomplished by studing the lines, angels horazontals and verticles, a lot of thinking, late nights in the shop and then proceed with metal surgury as long as you know you can pull it off, go for it!
Thanks for liking it,
Auto Doug
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set up another Class. One of your students will eventually Buy it from you! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucketbrigader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: hey looking for more info on this... Reply with quote

Hey there , just wanting to know some specs on the slant chop. No one has info on it anywhere I am looking at the pics and I like the way you did it . Please let me know how far back to make the cuts in the rear, do you leave the b posts slightly attached , How much metal out of the front?
I think 3 " , but how far up, and alos where did you put relief cuts??
really interested thanks
auto doug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your interest in this style of chop top on a VW bug it is basically straightforward and relatively EZ to accomplish with satisfying results. But to try and explain it in a email would be to lengthy. Yes I agree finding good info on how to chop a top is very difficult. With me it seems to be instinctive, I've been doing this kinda stuff for a long time now and I instantly see the finished product and procedure in my head before I even get started. I see a lot of over doing out there and some very complicate attempts and I shake my head at others. I have some video footage of the class I held, maybe I should make a DVD if there was much interest. I also will plan on doing a few more classes like this from time to time.
Thanks
upsfella
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks to be the start of something great.. keep this thread alive with more pics!!
auto doug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm trying to post some more pictures of the bug but I can't seem to figure it out this time?? I'll have to get the wife to help me Embarassed
auto doug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chop VW Bug is now painted flat blk with shinny blue fenders I'll try to get pictures up soon it's looking pretty Sharp! [/img]
auto doug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok lets see if I can pull this off WOW I did it a new skill posting pictures I'm excited! here are a few more pictures of the chop top VW Bug class I hosted at my shop we had a lot of fun some guys learned a lot about custom body mods and we came away with a cool new look for the bug, now it's time to sell it as a project car and let someone else have all the fun! I'm in the purple shirt.

[
fyrfytr1310
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your chopping of the VW beetle one question would wedging (6" front - nothing at the back) require the same principle?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice doug !! have you thought about taking a vacation to the beautifull snow white powdery sands of northwest FL???? for some emerald green water,soft fine sand,some cutten,some sand,some water some cutten,some cutten some sandin,some water,some more cutten some weldin some cuten some weldie,some watter,some sand,some sea food,some cutten& sandin& weldin,
ponobully
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: chop top Reply with quote

To: Auto Doug
Aloha from hawaii like the chop getting ready to chop a 74 are there more info or pic's that i can use mostly around the A and B post and and door post near the A post trying to use a magnify glass to look at the cuts and where you did and did not cut.....please help my hobby is building cars from A to Z mostly doing custom painting.....aloha
auto doug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Three replys here), First off a 6 inch pivot point slant chop would look a bit out of per-portion, dropping the rear deck area would need to be done maybe 3 inches, this would get complexed, but it is all very doable just need some general metal working skills, confidence, and determination! I spent a few days on that Emerald coast bout ten years back! lets do it !!!!!! My life and hobbie is restoring and custom building cars and teaching other how to do so as well, I have a DVD of the class I help on chopping the top $ 55.00 call 402 474 2344 Thanks Guys ! ,
toddferguson3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Chopping my 62 Reply with quote

Im taking an Auto Body and collision repair class at school. Im a few days out from chopping my bug 4 inches in the front. Going to do the same type of cut you did. One question though... Im thinking of getting rid of the B pillars, will that mess with the structural integrity of the car? Or do i need to keep them in for support? Confused
auto doug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i'm a bit over due for checking in with this sight been a whole year my Bad! Yes getting rid of the B pillar will hurt the integrity of the shell, you will need to add a roll bar and tie it into the inner roof structure somewhere.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what ever happened to the chopped bug? Did you sell it? I don't see a For Sale advertisement Here. Ads are Free after-all! Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vox13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/wHbvEbX1pGE

this is what i did with my bug !!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: