Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MG or Gazelle Kit Car
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: MG or Gazelle Kit Car Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a project MG or Gazelle kit car that someone wants to get rid of? I've sure wanted one for a few years. Thanks

2012 Silverado
53 FiberFab MG TD Replica (VW)

Life is hard and its harder if you're stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=826575
bigtonkakid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: MG or Gazelle Kit Car Reply with quote

74Ghia wrote:
Does anyone know of a project MG or Gazelle kit car that someone wants to get rid of? I've sure wanted one for a few years. Thanks

Sure do I know of 5 of them but posting them would be a waste if you live some place other then here.
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74Ghia, I know of a Gazelle project that may still be for sale. Check your PM inbox for more information.

BTW, have you ever looked at Bugatti T35, Alfa Romeo Monza, Fraser Nash Roadster or Jaguar SS100 replicas on VW pans? The Bugatti would likely be the easiest to find, followed by the Jag and Fraser Nash. Alfa replicas are quite rare, though. I'm not trying to dissuade you from an MG or a Gazelle, just giving suggestions. Cool

A word about Gazelles: There were two very similar cars made briefly in the late 70s/early 80s. They were the Bradley Baron (from the same folks who created the Bradley GT) and the Lance. While these strongly resemble a Gazelle, few if any parts interchange and you will be up the creek without a paddle if you were to break or lose something in the process of restoring the car. The main visual differences between the Baron and Lance (which may actually be from the same set of molds) and the Gazelle are the fenders and the grille shell. Baron/Lance grille shells were wider and a shade lower, and were occasionally brass-plated. The fenders were also closer to a Model T Ford style than the Gazelle's. These are often sold as Gazelles or under the umbrella term "Mercedes SSK replicas" which Gazelles, the Baron/Lance, early Excaliburs and the CMC Baron (which is completely different from the Bradley Baron) fall under.

If looking for a project on eBay, you may find as many viable Bugatti and/or SS100 replica projects than MG or Gazelle kits. Those along with the Fraser Nash and Alfa, can be outfitted with authentically-styled parts via Speedway Motors and Moss Motors catalogs, may have more resale potential than an MG or Gazelle, and will attract as much if not more attention, and they all make beautiful replicas when done well.

OG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch OldGrimey. That's some good info especially for anyone who is switching from one type of VW to another. I still have the same problem regardless which model VW I go for as my next project...the scarcity of VWs east of the Mississippi. Seems only bugs and buses are fairly easy to find. Anything else can be as scarce as hen's teeth. But I'll keep an eye open for them. Thanks again.

2012 Silverado

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Augiedoggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found mine on craiglist here in ny a couple years ago. It my first vintage vw based car...needed some wiring redone and still need to find proper seats for it...although MG magic owns all the old stock and rights for the mg and Gazelle (fiberfab and CMC kits only)
I do know someone here with the frazer nash kit he is looking to sell but not sure how much.....Lasy year I saw a completed red 53mg kitcar sell for $1200 or BO on craiglist in rochester NY so they are around you just have to be patient...I love mine its a blast....I had to do some engine work to fix the po follies but thats half the fun.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
1966 Bahama Blue Bug

1964 yellow bug (girlfriends ride)
Thanatos
Samba Psychopomp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augiedoggy wrote:
I found mine on craiglist here in ny a couple years ago. It my first vintage vw based car...needed some wiring redone and still need to find proper seats for it...although MG magic owns all the old stock and rights for the mg and Gazelle (fiberfab and CMC kits only)
I do know someone here with the frazer nash kit he is looking to sell but not sure how much.....Lasy year I saw a completed red 53mg kitcar sell for $1200 or BO on craiglist in rochester NY so they are around you just have to be patient...I love mine its a blast....I had to do some engine work to fix the po follies but thats half the fun.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Beautiful Gazelle, Augiedoggy! BTW, for vintage-style seats, hardware, lights and other things needed for a classic sports car replica, there's a company in the UK with reasonable prices called Holden Vintage & Classic, and their website is http://www.holden.co.uk.

Highly recommended for Gazelle, Fraser Nash, Bugatti and SS100 builders who want their cars to look authentic.

OG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Augiedoggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, I will check them out....I love trying to find ways to make it more authentic looking....I just picked up an old chrome rear view mirror and I am looking to find some way to affix some authentic looking wheels to it like the frazier nash kits used...(on a small budget this is tough)
1966 Bahama Blue Bug

angelxo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know you posted this a while ago but if you're still looking i'm selling my 1929 Mercedes Benz Gazelle Replica. I'm located in NJ
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through the folks here and in a couple of other sites I found and purchased a VW based MG TD kit that was still unassembled and some still in boxes. Thanks to all who passed me leads. Now comes finding the right chassis and possible a complete, wrecked bug. And figuring how to get the kit car registered in GA. Seems even those in the Geprgia DMV have different thoughts.

2012 Silverado

TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad that you don't live closer to Massachusetts. I have a buddy who has a "factory" MG kit demonstrator for sale, complete cream with brown fenders. He also has the molds for making more, the dealers invoice papers and contracts, promotional material, etc., I guess he pretty much bought a franchise/manufacturer's package back when but didn't do anything with it. Wants to sell everything.

Cool but weird . . .

T
Augiedoggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74Ghia wrote:
Through the folks here and in a couple of other sites I found and purchased a VW based MG TD kit that was still unassembled and some still in boxes. Thanks to all who passed me leads. Now comes finding the right chassis and possible a complete, wrecked bug. And figuring how to get the kit car registered in GA. Seems even those in the Geprgia DMV have different thoughts.
strange...I always though GA was liberal on that stuff....they dont even have inspections there...my buddies a cop in atlanta and he has told me stories of some of the totally unsafe wrecks they have pulled over for "other reasons"
1966 Bahama Blue Bug

74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC/Team Evil,
your buddy wouldn't happen to be able to issue MSO papers would he? Or have the MT TD Kit data plates?
Also, where in Mass. I grew up in the Berkshires.

2012 Silverado

TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask him about the MSO and such this Friday, most likely see him then. He lives in Kingston, South coastal Massachusetts, a small town just north of Plymouth. I'll get his contact info for you as well.

Luck,

T
desertwrx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy I've been buying parts from has a pretty nice looking MG for sale. The only thing that is worn is the carpets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC/Team Evil,
I know where your friend is from. I grew up in western Mass in Pittsfield. Most east coast Mass folks call us New Yorkers. I'm pretty certain I can register it as a VW kit car using the VW chassis VIN and a VW Birth Certificate plus the bill of sale for the VW. And generally when I finish a build or rebuild, it's in like new condition and pretty darn safe.

2012 Silverado

Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a new vehicle data plate from FiberFab.

http://www.fiberfab.us/dataplate.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: