Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coil problems on a 72 super beetle 1600cc
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakrum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Coil problems on a 72 super beetle 1600cc Reply with quote

Well, I went to autozone to get a temporary coil until my bosch comes in because the old coil is leaking and missing. Well apparently who ever did the wiring before did a pretty crappy job and everything was a jumbled mess and i ended up having to disconnect everything from the coil all at once to get it out, bad idea I know Sad. My question is can someone help me with some pointers to get it back up and running. I tried many combos with the wires on neg and positive side with no start up at all. I checked out the wiring diagram on the forums too and that really did not help. I noticed some smoke coming out of the bottom of the distributor where it connects to the engine. Thanks in advance!
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil problems on a 72 super beetle 1600cc Reply with quote

Lakrum wrote:
Well, I went to autozone to get a temporary coil until my bosch comes in because the old coil is leaking and missing. Well apparently who ever did the wiring before did a pretty crappy job and everything was a jumbled mess and i ended up having to disconnect everything from the coil all at once to get it out, bad idea I know Sad. My question is can someone help me with some pointers to get it back up and running. I tried many combos with the wires on neg and positive side with no start up at all. I checked out the wiring diagram on the forums too and that really did not help. I noticed some smoke coming out of the bottom of the distributor where it connects to the engine. Thanks in advance!

If you have a standard breaker point ignition, hot lead to the + side of the coil, green wire from the condenser/distributor to the - side. I am sure you have fried the condenser, so change that and the points out. I think the points could have been the initial problem anyway. Disregard if it is an electronic ignition system.
Lakrum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who had the bug before me installed an ignitor electronic ignition into it. Could that have fried?
Rob Timmons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not good. Trying different combos has probably fried your condensor. The neg side of the coil will be for the wire going to distributor only. All others are positive side. Unless you have a tach then I think that is neg side as well. You might have to change out the condensor and maybe points. Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakrum wrote:
The guy who had the bug before me installed an ignitor electronic ignition into it. Could that have fried?

Absolutely! They can't take much when it comes to polarity. Where in the heck is that city you live in?
Lakrum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha im in Texas, I should have known better but I was in a hurry and not thinking right. I have the original points and condensor in a box so ill probably just swap them out.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakrum wrote:
Haha im in Texas, I should have known better but I was in a hurry and not thinking right. I have the original points and condensor in a box so ill probably just swap them out.

Good idea.
candymustang65
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely fried the pertronix .
Nothin but negative to negative side of the coil Green wire on point's .
If you have a tachometer installed in the car one other wire attache's to the negative side of the coil for the tach .
But basically only the green wire on point's and the black wire on electronic ignition goes to negative side of the coil .
Not all coil's are compatible with points and Electronic ignition's both .
Not sure what they sold you for a coil but I just paid 120 buck's for coil and pertronix ignition new capp and rotor .
3.0 ohm coil and pertronix 1 ignition .
As to Texas wife is from Haskell .
My youngest was born in Abiliene .
Sean
jeepsnbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: ignition Reply with quote

I had just put a new longblock in my restored '72 sb. My son took it out for a spin and I had to tow him back. The engine turned but wouldn't start. I looked at all the wiring......and I mean ALL of it. After several hours of searching diagrams and meter tracing (and aspirin), I read a note on Samba a fellow member posted about electric ignitions. He said "take the Petronix ignition and throw it as far away from the bug as you can). I put points and a condenser in it. Now I've got a 72 beetle that runs better than new (bigger cylinders and dual carbs).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: