Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

makeshift exhaust fan for painting...
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: makeshift exhaust fan for painting... Reply with quote

does anyone have an idea of if I really need an exhaust fan when painting my single stage paint. Im painting a roof section on my bug. I was just going to cover the walls of the garage and wet the floor. and use a box fan near the door so it pushs out some fumes.

-Leo
k29349@yahoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a fan with a sparkless motor because it might cause a flash fire. I have used an industrial exhaust fan mounted in a plywood that was as wide as my garage door and just closed the door down on it.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the intake . where do I put the filter?
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever seen this 'flash fire' happen? Hmm, I have a 12" squirrel cage with a 1/2 hp motor and never even considered this. I've seen a few shops with regular exhaust fans and they've been OK too. Anyone out there with a real life story?
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I get away with something like this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Little Long Winded Reply with quote

What I understand about paint is that in a way it is opposite of gasoline. Gasoline liquid isnt flamable but its fumes are. Paint is flamable but its fumes are not. Better safe then sorry though.
I had learned a trick from a guy, was to use and fairly large swamp cooler as a exhaust fan. You can put filters on it, and the water also helps filter out some of the crap flying out of you shop or garage. It moves quit a bit of air. Another trick the guy showed me was to use some old white sheets (lets in more light than a dark colored sheet)and hang them from your garge door and anhcor them to the ground with something heavy. It works as a filter and bug screen.

The only time I have ever heard of a flash fire wasn't caused by the paint but by the painter's lack of safety or experince. What happened was he was painting a PG&E S-10 truck. What he didnt realize was that the truck was a propane powered vehicle. So ten minutes after he flipped the booth over to bake , the gas inside the propane tank had expanded and BOOM. Well the booth and the truck were pretty much totalled. I dont think anybody was hurt other than some hearing damage.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sheet thing isnt a bad idea. I thinkby wetting down the floor and covering my walls with plastic I should be ok. Im gonna use a box fan to push out hte fumes and use the sheets to cover my garage door.

-Leo
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame about that door, I like it. Where's a cheap hollow core when you need one! I suppose if you were paranoid about the fume thing, the idea of pushing fresh air into the would work, I just don't think it would have the same draughting effect. (or is it drafting?) ie: pulling the airboure particulate away from the work area.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not my door, I found it on a site. do I really need a fan. I have a forced air resporator and im only painting my roof section. I could care less about ventilation.
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of olde skool doods stand by the "wait for a morning with heavy dew and calm air, roll it onto the driveway, spray it and forget it. You're only painting the roof, that won't take long at all. If you're not in a proper booth then I think it's a crap shoot either way. Good luck.
Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check around some local shops they my rent there booth and if they dont I'm sure they or one of there techs would know someone who does.
1redvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait before you paint on your driveway make sure you don't have a bitch nextdoor neighbor like i did. i painted my car on the driveway like i did several others. i guess the fumes went in her house by way of a window fan. she called the fire dept and the cops out. they said that i wasn't doing any thing wrong and left, but that wasn't good enughf for her so she got up on her roof with a leaf blower and blow s#*t in my fresh paint job Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad i sold my house and move insted of doing life in prison for murder
LOWASS60RAG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I paint, I use a standard box fan in a cardboard box with some house AC filters. Works pretty good. I also paint late at night, like tweeker hours, so not to piss off any neighbors. You might have a little overspry and hazing to deal with, but nothing wet sanding and buffing won't take care of.
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1redvert,
I know about the moving thing because I did it too but you should have called the cops back and had her arrested. What you did was legal. What she did was definitly illegal. You could have probably sued her for the cost of a new paint job.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1redvert, i had a bitch neighbor too! at least she gave me warning that she was going to call the cops if i didnt knock it off soon. since her kids were playing downwind about 60ft away i realized she was probably right. i had the mask and goggles on, so obviously i wouldnt want to breathe what i was making her kids breathe. what helped me have this this enlightening realization was having my other neighbor spray his car- it got so bad i had to leave owing to a bad case of the dizzies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Obsessed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 3 box fans stacked on top of one another(build a rack) and taped the filters over the fans. raise the garage door about 4" and put some filters over the opening. make sure you wet down the walls and floor before you paint. if you use and HVLP gun it will cut down on the overspray created.
nuckled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a good website on setting up your own paint booth some good ideas on the fan setups

http://www.sonic.net/~mizamook/Booth1.htm

compliments of www.dropgates.com

hope it helps
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!gave me some ideas...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: