Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hot Vw's Magazine
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Hot Vw's Magazine Reply with quote

Anyone else notice that the stores don't seem to have Hot Vw on there racks anymore? You use to be able to go into grocery stores and always find it there. Anyone else run into this or know why stores don't seem to carry it anymore? I still see it in book stores.
dcketh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always read it in Hastings, and as of last Friday night they still had it.
skeeter!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a subscription every year from a relative, that way I don't have to think about it... used to have a sub. to VW Trends, but as Hot VWs is the only domestic magazine now (it'd cost me 100 bucks a year to get Ultra VWs) I figure it's the best bet.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skeeter! wrote:
I get a subscription every year from a relative, that way I don't have to think about it... used to have a sub. to VW Trends, but as Hot VWs is the only domestic magazine now (it'd cost me 100 bucks a year to get Ultra VWs) I figure it's the best bet.

And you're getting almost the same tech features. My wife gets me the U-rope mags when she flies there and every single time I see the same thing. Ultra did shifters, HVWs did shifters. Volks World did heads, HVWs did heads. Laughing
skeeter!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When "Trends" was around, their tech articles were a little better sometimes-- more pics, better descriptions, etc... of course, they both use the same spell-checker... LOL
Madtat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW Trends was good....then they started to feature water cool's
(No offence to the anti-freeze crowd) right after that it seems they went under. imo
Twisted Evil
skeeter!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they did that to get more readers from the water pumper crowd-- after all, I had one more month on my sub. when they went under, and I got a month of Euro Tuner-- what would a guy with a '68 Bug do with that? I gave it away... heh
vintagevolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep this topic on the subject! Thanks
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagevolks wrote:

That's why we can't have nice things. Sad
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My humble suggestion would be to subscribe. It's significantly cheaper than newsstand prices for the year, and you don't need to worry about whether or not your local store is going to have it or not, you just have to hope a VW nut in the Post Office doesn't glom onto it. They are poly-wrapped now, which makes it harder for the BWD types to peruse it when it's in their hands awaiting delivery...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Madtat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagevolks wrote:

just get a script, its cheaper.. but you will have to find a new excuse to go the the quickie mart and scam the Hustlers. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
My humble suggestion would be to subscribe. It's significantly cheaper than newsstand prices for the year, and you don't need to worry about whether or not your local store is going to have it or not, you just have to hope a VW nut in the Post Office doesn't glom onto it. They are poly-wrapped now, which makes it harder for the BWD types to peruse it when it's in their hands awaiting delivery...

BWD is a very clever chap.
He has his own supply of zip-lock bags to reseal the freshness before sending the magazine on to its destination.
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

GRRrrrr...I hate that stuff. It was a sad day at the ol' PO when Playboy and Penthouse gave up on the old paper sleeves!!! Mad

Laughing Laughing Laughing
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWD wrote:
Dave wrote:

GRRrrrr...I hate that stuff. It was a sad day at the ol' PO when Playboy and Penthouse gave up on the old paper sleeves!!! Mad

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Was the paper absorbent?

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just VW magazines, all magazines are fading into the sunset. Most grocery stores today don't have half the magazine selection they did 10 years ago. With the Internet, iPhone, and 287 cable/satellite TV stations every magazine is suffering. 25 years age Playboy was the number 1 subscription magazine in the country. Today they are on the verge of bankruptcy.

I'll make a guess and say that Hot VW's will be down to 6 issues a year (1 every 2 months) within the next 2-3 years.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool, that Hugh Hefner guy is a creepy anemic looking rich (Howard Hughes) sort of freak any way. Why can't we have a vintage month every month instead of just July? (and no, I don't want to see her frame horns spread like butter)
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
It's not just VW magazines, all magazines are fading into the sunset. Most grocery stores today don't have half the magazine selection they did 10 years ago. With the Internet, iPhone, and 287 cable/satellite TV stations every magazine is suffering. 25 years age Playboy was the number 1 subscription magazine in the country. Today they are on the verge of bankruptcy.

I'll make a guess and say that Hot VW's will be down to 6 issues a year (1 every 2 months) within the next 2-3 years.

This is so true! TVGuide was at one time going to almost 75-80% of my route, now I get 12 for my route. Playboy, maybe 20-30 per route, now, I get about 4! Time, Newsweek, same thing, a hand full and they're half the size they use to be!
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWD wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

This is so true! TVGuide was at one time going to almost 75-80% of my route, now I get 12 for my route. Playboy, maybe 20-30 per route, now, I get about 4! Time, Newsweek, same thing, a hand full and they're half the size they use to be!
So then what are you reading now?

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
BWD wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

AARP Embarassed
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWD wrote:
notchback wrote:
BWD wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

AARP Embarassed

Your own subscription I hope!

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: