Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front License Plate Bracket or Holder - 1970 Bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
uiterwyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Front License Plate Bracket or Holder - 1970 Bus Reply with quote

OK,

I've searched and found nothing.

Having just moved to Virginia (a two license plate state), I've got to figure out a neat way to mount the front license plate.

Yeah, yeah, I could just drill two holes in the bumper and mount it directly to the bumper, but that's UGLY.

Anyone have any better ideas or a source for a holder?

Thanks,

Robert
VWDruid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a bracket that hangs from under the overiders then bent up some corner brackets for making shelving so it sticks out and wont hit the bumper.

i'll try and get some pics.

EDIT:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

70 Westy, 2027cc "dual DRLA 40 m140 i55 wjdoc a165 p33 v30 "w100 straight cut 040 polished heads 1.25 rockers 1.5 A1sidewinder supertrapp muffler trans 091 coil SUM-850500 CDI universal svda Pertronix
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It's not the straight cut gears It's the T.A.R.D.I.S. engine.
wanted Chameleon Circuit
skid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put this on my front bumper
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-113-905

It works well!
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well get use to it, its a 2 tag state and the cops will write you up with out one. the front tag doesn't look that bad on my 70, but i have a vintage tag frame around mine. anyway welcome to va, i think you might just like it here. where in va are you ??
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just be aware that front brackets are different than rear brackets - for a good reason. rear brackets lack the 2 straps which allow you to both adjust to vertical AND keep the plate from being too high or low (in the center)

with a rear bracket, to keep the plate vertical, you would have to mount the bracket on the bumper's ridge. this would give you the choice of high and weird lookin, or too low and prone to being bent by snow banks, high vegetation, crap sittin in the driveway, etc, etc, etc...

check out this page at http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/accessories/accessories/license_brkt.cfm where you can see the differences in all VW brackets and purchase the right one...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uiterwyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans , Thanks for the link. That is exactly what I needed.

devesvws, We moved to Hampton , VA on the water. Very pleased with the area.

Robert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: