Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much Lucas oil stabilizer?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
piruvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: How much Lucas oil stabilizer? Reply with quote

When I change my oil How much Lucas Heavy Duty oil stabilizer should I add into the mix? The label reads 20 to 60%. My motor is up there mileage wise (186,000) has a clicking valve when cold and occasional low oil pressure during hot summer drives (if I'm to assume the OP sensors are functioning correctly)

I hope this Lucas additive will quiet the valve and boost OP a bit. BTW I run 20-50W and a Mann filter.

So my question is...how much Lucas? (% wise)
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of additives, but by far the best advice if you're going to use one would be to strictly follow the product's label directions. They're the ones who've presumably (cough) done the exhaustive research to determine the % and compatibility of the various hundreds of engine bearing materials, tolerances, oil pump types, typical engine wear in various critical areas.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't assume the sensors are functioning or that the wiring is 100%.
20/50 should provide the added pressure you need.
I don't use Lucus often, but when I do it works well.
If you keep reading on the bottle it can be used 100% in place of the oil.
If you need more than half a quart of it, the writing is on the wall.
Lifters, oil pump...hell, the entire waterboxer is getting tired and I would recommend doing something about it and I don't mean adding thicker oils.

Two words, Zetec & Subaru, think about it.

dylan
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Lucas additive in engine oil but I use regularly gas additive with good result. It says that it keep the cylinder/head/piston clean and free the rings of gum...

yes I can feel the difference after a long period of treatment on all of my cars.

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 84 does not have an oil pressure gauge so I drove many miles w/o ever knowing or caring what the pressure was other than to say it was 'enough'. Ignorance can be bliss -- when the engine finally failed it was a head gasket, not oil pressure than did it in, the usual suspect as it were.

I have doubts that additives are the answer, though I have heard that Marvel Mystery Oil has quieted a lifter for some -- that makes sense as it is a thin oil -- but I do not know that a noisy lifter at start-up is anything more serious than annoying.

I wouldn't assume your engine is on the way out just from what you describe, but for peace of mind you could have the press olio measured with a known-to-be-reliable gauge.
wenholzm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put 1/2 quart of Lucas in with every change. I use straight Pennzoil 40, I hope to get 100K with this combination.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: