Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dumb question on powder coating
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Dumb question on powder coating Reply with quote

I am looking at some parts that the owner claims have been stripped and powder coated. All well and good, but there is a problem - I don't know what powder coating looks like. They could be rattle canned or latex house paint for all I can tell.

So, what can I look for to help identify if the parts are truely powder coated? (They are black in color BTW.)

Thanks!

Home Solar Power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell in pictures but sometimes you can tell by the larger, rounder bumps (orangepeel) on powdercoated parts that weren't heated adaquately enough. Black makes it hard in pics to, but the surface should appear VERY uniform in color,texture, and finish.

If it has any sharp edges, the powdercoat usually smoothes them out as well.
Cobey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily, I don't have to use pics only. I can go handle the items and get a good look at them. I just don't know what it is I should look for.

Home Solar Power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get hands on, you shouldn't be able to put a dent or scratch on the piece with your fingernail, it should be very dense, smooth and uniform. The thickness is the key.
Cobey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chad! Smile

Home Solar Power
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n/p man. Wink
vwken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then I should have my beetle pan powdercoated instead of a normal paint application if I want it to stay better looking?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powder coating is actually on the soft side and will show scratches rather easy compared to say laquer. If it's gloss black and you rub your finger over it and look real close you will actually see real fine scratch marks in it. A coat of good non abrasive wax should cover most of it up though. Powder will typically also tend to feel thicker than what normal paint will. If you have a newer car more than likely the wheels on it are powder coated or any newer patio furniture. You can go look at something like that for comparison. If the piece is relatively flat it will probably also show some orange peel. Just depends on how good the person was that applied it. That's about all I can think of for now.

Mike
Summit Powder Coaters
59 single, 66 bug, 69 bus, 73 super
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: