Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump relay location on Super Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: L-Jet in 1975 Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
L-Jetronic came on the bug in 1975
I was close Wink I know my 71 square back was FI
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PO must have installed an FI system in the car as '75 was the first year of factory FI Beetles.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Cadudeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:
The PO must have installed an FI system in the car as '75 was the first year of factory FI Beetles.

It is a possibility that the fuel injection was added after production, hell, the whole motor could be a transplant for all I know.
Let me ask this since I'm not a VW expert, is the '75 or later' fuel injection implementation a U.S. only situation, or was it global? Did foreign designated bugs have fuel injection before '75?
I believe this car came from Canada and the speedometer is km, not mph, I wouldn't think that was typical for a U.S. car.
Once again, all I know right now is the VIN starts with 111, it's fuel injected and the VIN # tells me it's '"1971 - UK Historic class".
I would definitely like to have my facts straight when describing this car but I'm not quite there . . . . yet.
Ed
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo of Brain and Double relay
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about some photos of this mystery car?
Canada didn't get Km speedos until 1977.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Cadudeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ground wire connected, still no juice to the pump. I went to get some parts today and the guy there said to take the top off of the box to the left of the air filter and rotate the 'air mix' valve with the key on and I should hear the fuel pump. Still nothing.
Is there a way to test the double relay? Or just replace it?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadudeman wrote:
I have the ground wire connected, still no juice to the pump. I went to get some parts today and the guy there said to take the top off of the box to the left of the air filter and rotate the 'air mix' valve with the key on and I should hear the fuel pump. Still nothing.
Is there a way to test the double relay? Or just replace it?

Whoa!, stop right now and don't go back to that shop!
You can depress the flap in the AFM with a screwdriver or chopstick through the square intake hole visible when you remove the air filter element, when the key is on you should hear the fuel pump run up front (very quiet).
Have you looked at any of the stuff Randy posted or these troubleshooting manuals yet??, the type 2 one works for beetle too, same stuff, different locations

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Cadudeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll have to do a little reading. I tried it thru the side, then popped the top off and tried it that way. Neither worked. I guess the relay is my next destination . . .
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted in you other post, you ca is either a '77 or '78. Read Randy's link, it shouldn't be hard to diagnose and fix.

-jeffrey
Cadudeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on getting rid of the fuel injection anyway. I don't like it.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's to bad, properly set up the FI can be near perfect. I've got 240k on the original FI on my '79. Also, removing it will reduce the value. You might try getting it to run before you start tearing it all apart, providing the car is not stolen.

Before you get into it, make sure the car is legal. If the VIN on the title does not start with a 157 or 158, it's possible that the car is stolen.

-jeffrey
Cadudeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Printed the troubleshooting manual and it lead us to the wire that is supposed to come out of the DR and go to the starter was re-routed to the dash area. The car had an alarm so I'm guessing that wire was part of it. We ran the wire back to the starter and the fuel pump operates as it should.
I'm just getting started on replacing the fuel lines around the fuels pump(s)? I guess the the smaller pump is to supply the Eberspacher heater with fuel?
At this point I suppose I should pull the fuel tank and give it a good cleaning.
Is there a 'good' way to remove the existing fuel line clamps? I don't think my way is so good, but I guess it works.
I can see where the supply/return lines go into the tunnel up front but I haven't made it to the engine area yet. Is the line in the tunnel all steel? Are these something that should be replaced also?
Ed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: