Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'67 Porsche 912 to VW engine conversion
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chancemo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: '67 Porsche 912 to VW engine conversion Reply with quote

I have a "67 912 Targa "soft" rear window. The engine is in need of a rebuild, due to bad rings. I have a complete new VW 1776cc mild performance engine. Question is what will it take for me to install this engine in my 912??
Rescue912
Ferdinand Sanford

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolt pattern is correct but you will have to futz with the clutch and bend up a rear hanger. All the surround tin will need to be fab'd too. Search a bit, a few people here have done it.

If the engine still makes decent oil pressure rering it to get a few more miles out of it before a complete rebuild. Not the best idea but main bearings are getting spendy for 912s.
bt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a site where a guy put vw into a 911
Http://geocities.com/clarkblumberg/911-912page9.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys I have done this a bunch. my wife drives a 66 912 with a 2180 cc vw motor in it. bolt pattern is no problem. You will have to fab a rear hanger which I just made out of 1 inch tubing welded together and uses some long threaded rod to bolt it in place on the body. Looks wild with a stinger sticking out the back. I was going to change the exhust but My wife got where she liked the redneck sound and look of the stingerso I have just left it. The sucker will fly. faster than the OE engine did. Later Mark Dearing Salem Import Service Salem va
RIGID1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: opposite? Reply with quote

How about the opposite , installing an 912 motor into a 65 split window bus??
Rescue912
Ferdinand Sanford

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwbrain wrote:
hey guys I have done this a bunch.

Right on! Post some pix, I get this question a lot and would love some specifics...

Type 4 bolt right in with a 914 clutch but I have never tried a Type 1.
RIGID1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, you misunderstood. I am asking if it is possible ? I have a 65 splitty and I have a lineup on a running 912 . I was thinking of parting out car and keeping drivetrain . Possibly putting into my bus for some more GO..
Rescue912
Ferdinand Sanford

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rigid, that was directed at vwbrain's comment about doing this multiple times already. I am asked this a lot so I would love gory details on the conversion.

As for the 912 in a split, yes it will fit. The bolt pattern is same-same but not sure what to use for a flywheel/clutch. All the surround tin will need to be fab'd but you shouldn't need a rear hanger. Some kind of kafer bar to prevent wheel hop would be a good idea though.

That engine will also be tough on the redux boxes so make sure they are in tip-top shape or lose them and go with a straight axle kit. I have 3 912 mills in the barn and have thought about putting one in the SC but haven't tried it yet.
brycastillo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwbrain wrote:
hey guys I have done this a bunch. my wife drives a 66 912 with a 2180 cc vw motor in it. bolt pattern is no problem. You will have to fab a rear hanger which I just made out of 1 inch tubing welded together and uses some long threaded rod to bolt it in place on the body. Looks wild with a stinger sticking out the back. I was going to change the exhust but My wife got where she liked the redneck sound and look of the stingerso I have just left it. The sucker will fly. faster than the OE engine did. Later Mark Dearing Salem Import Service Salem va

Hi! Are the studs on the engine at the bottom of the engine make it through the transmission mounting holes and tighten the nut?
oldvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: porsche motor into a vw! Reply with quote

in 1970 i put a porsche 356 motor into my '65 bug. i had wrecked my '55 speedster and the motor was all i had to remember her by. other than a small amount of metal removed on the vw bumper bracket area to fit the larger 356 valve covers and the rear tin as i recall-it was a bolt-up. i was running a bursch exhaust. it was the most fun a kid could have at the time-well maybe there was something else.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it too. When I couldn't get the doors closed on my super rusty 62 S90 Cab. I put the engine, brakes, gauges, and seats in my 64 bug. 40 hp
out and 90 hp in made for a snappy little bug. With the shorter gears in the VW transmission, there was nothing that could beat it across an intersection.

I think I'm gonna do it again. The first Hot VW's were Porsche powered.
FarmerJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a 69 912 into my buggy
buggy has a 68 type3 rear in it so it's 12 volt. 912 flywheel protruded too far and would hit on the trans. housing. Had to use a 200mm 12 volt 356 flywheel with a vw clutch & pressure plate to make it work. I'm assuming you've got 6 volt so figure acordingly. Throttle linkage was a little tricky to work out as porche is push vs vw pull to accelerate. As far as the studs I think I swapped them out with the ones from the type 3 engine I pulled out
porsche tech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also put a 912 motor in my 56 bug. 356 flywheel and clutch (so the VW starter would engage); cut a section out of the middle of the oil filler and braized it back together (I had a convertible deck lid and the water barriers inside the hood louvers wouldn't clear the oil filler tank). Original 912 wire mesh air cleaners fit perfectly. Had to cut the side trays in the engine compartment and fab my own aluminum sheet metal. Lotsa torque for hills in 4th gear!
FarmerJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea I forgot to mention I also had to shorten the oil fill/breather & relocate the fill cap to the front of the canister to clear the body
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the early flip top can with the road tube...
oldvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: porsche motor in vw Reply with quote

i like that 'dsrtfox'=the first hot vw's were porsche powered...and the first porsche was vw powered! on a serious note-the world's fastest 356 is powered by a vw motor and trans. this is something the porsche crowd cringes over-they need to get over it! there is a relation between vw and porsche-one just has the 'namesake'=porsche. i will post a picture in my gallery from 1969/70 of my 'original' 'hot vw' which terrorized the streets of santa cruz in those days.
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey oldydub,

Welcome to the Porsche forum on the Samba where the topic is swaping engines between VW's and Porsche's.

Let me assure you that the 356 crowd is not cringing over the fact that the fastest 356 hybred is VW powered, what else would it be ? I don't know any 356'ers stupid enough to think that our ancient 36hp based engines would stand a chance against some huge stroker Chinese/Brazillian mongrel posing as a VW.

Most of the 356'ers started in bugs and busses and got into Porsche's back when mear mortals could.

One last thought, call the Bergs and ask them what Genes first race car was powered by!

Curt...
oldvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: vw/porsche power Reply with quote

i like it! chinese/brazilian mongrel posing as a vw-too funny. heh...why is that the forum topics for porsche's on 'the samba' are way cooler and has real people who know what they are talking about-at least know how to turn a wrench!
simibob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: 356 into a bug Reply with quote

Hey guys. Guess I was ahead of the curve here. In '63 I got a '56 Bug from my aunt. By late '64 the 36HP engine had dual carbs, 010 bus distributor and headers, and then I found out what a Gland Nut was, when the flywheel came loose. Found a wrecked 356B in the local paper for $500, and by early '65 had the 1600 N engine, brakes and wheels on the Bug. Pretty sure the flywheel and clutch mated with the VW trans and TOB, but the 180mm clutch was a big problem. Ray Litz had just opened shop in Pasadena, Ca. and I was one of his first customers, to machine the flywheel to accept 200mm bus clutch. Lots of clutch problems until the clutch tube in the body completely broke free from the frame, a problem with a lot of early bugs with big 9 spring clutches. When I started looking for Koni shocks for my '56, people thought I was crazy. One mechanic told me the car would "vibrate to pieces"!
As I remember the throttle cable had to be shortened to mate with the Porsche linkage at the back of the motor, new sheet metal pieces under the carbs, and took a cutting torch to the rear tin to narrow it on the sides. We initially used the Porsche muffler, shortened on each side to fit. It wasn't long before we had Competition Engineering's 1700 Industrial Kit and a Super cam, headers and Super jets and venturis in the motor. Also Installed '65 Type III trans with long axles, and it took three tries (trans in and out of the car) to drill the shift fork locating hole before we got it right. Also, the front trans mount turned to mush after a while, and there were no trans straps back then to fix the problem. Just put a new one in every year or so. One night I popped the clutch trying to race a Shelby GT 350 on Colorado Blvd. and the whole shift housing/mount at the front of the trans shattered into a thousand pieces. Finally Crown Mfg. came along with a trans strap to solve that problem. A few years later installed a 912 engine in my '69 Westy, but thats another story.
I pretty much had to write the book back then, because there weren't guys like Gene Berg to go to for answers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: