Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Proper Prep. for repainting a roughish OG Paint VW?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Proper Prep. for repainting a roughish OG Paint VW? Reply with quote

sorry, this is really long...but any suggestions or reassuarnce would be very welcomed...this will be my first body restoration and I want to do it as best as I can.

I've gone through countless threads trying to learn what I need to do at various stages of my body resto and was having trouble seeing the forest from the trees. So I put this list together as a road map of where i need to go and how i plan on getting there:

I think I have picked several medium and top-grade products that can be applied safely at home with affordable installation and safety equipment (appropriate filters, eye protection and ventiliation when welding/painting). From what I could tell, all these products are compatible with each other in my proposed applications.

The products I plan to use are:

POR-15 (rust inhibitor)
MasterSeries CT (rust inhibitor) and AG111 (hard enamel paint)
Rust Bullet (rust inhibitor)
Evercoat Rage Gold (filler)
Evercoat Easy Sand or Metal Glaze (glaze)
“All Metal” Filler (made by who?) (for filling at welds)
Dupont Centari Acrylic Enamel with Dupont Reducer and Urethane Hardener (Paint)
Primer: Dupont product _________?
Primer Sealer: Dupont Product _________?
Seam Sealer Brand? Weldable Primer Brand?

Step 1: Weld in Replacement Panels:
a. Remove crusty, rusty, weak sheet metal
b. Remove paint and surface rust
c. Fit replacement panel
d. Apply weldable primer (contains zinc, use filter when welding)
e. Apply POR-15 to backsides of panels that will be inaccessible after welding
f. MIG weld the panel in with many small tack welds
g. Grind welds smooth
h. Apply seam sealer to flanged and spot welded seams
i. Apply additional POR-15 along backside of welded seam
j. Clean welds with denatured alcohol and finish with “all metal” filler
k. Dry sand filler to smooth. Use a glaze filler to remove pinholes

Step 2: Fix Dented Areas:
a. Remove Paint and surface rust
b. Straighten using body tools
c. Dry sand dented area with 80 grit or 40-36 grit roloc discs
d. Apply Master Series CT (if dent was rusty)
e. Clean surface with denatured alcohol (if dent wasn’t rusty)
f. Fill with Evercoat Rage Gold w/ blue catalyst
g. Dry sand filler (36,80,180,320 grit)
h. Apply Evercoat Easy Sand or Metal Glaze to remove pinholes
i. Sand glaze coat (400-600 grit?)

Step 3: Fix Surface Rusted Areas:
a. Remove paint and surface rust
b. Etch metal
c. Apply MasterSeries CT to exterior and interior exposed body panel rust
d. Apply Rust Bullet to hidden and hard to reach rusty areas like: window sills, interior floors and interior of doors
e. Dry or wet sand smooth where accessible or exposed

Step 4: Recondition the Undercarriage:
a. Remove old paint, grease, surface rust and undercoating
b. Scuff surface with wire brush
c. Apply Rust Bullet
d. Apply MasterSeries AG 111 (flat black) to underside of car.
e. Not planning on sanding it smooth

Step 5: Prepare the original paint for repainting:
a. Wash and Degrease
b. Remove any spray paint and rattle can primer down to original paint.
c. Scuff the original paint with 400 grit
d. Wash with denatured alcohol? Wax and grease remover product?

Step 6: Prime Coat and Painting (ChillKoot’s method as described in the sticky)
a. Etch bare metal
b. Apply primer
c. Apply guide coat
d. Wet sand 300-400grit
e. Apply primer
f. Apply guide coat
g. Wet sand 600-800grit
h. Let sit 2-3 weeks to allow primer to shrink

Step 7: Painting:
a. Wash and use wax/grease remover product
b. Apply Primer Sealer in a color close to the final paint color (2 coats)
c. Base Coat, flash, Top Coat, flash, additional Topcoats w/ AE paint if desired
d. Color sand as necessary

Suggestions?....
Thanks, Mark Laken

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Prep. for repainting a roughish OG Paint VW? Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread after 14 years with no answers.
I could use answers to these questions. Anyone have input?

Cheers,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Prep. for repainting a roughish OG Paint VW? Reply with quote

What was question, I read it as a statement?
Media blast, epoxy, filler, primer and paint.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Prep. for repainting a roughish OG Paint VW? Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Resurrecting this thread after 14 years with no answers.
I could use answers to these questions. Anyone have input?

Cheers,
Emil

Great autobody restoration guys use quality materials, didn’t see any on the list.
I only use PPG or Glasorit. About the same cost overall. Worth every penny.
Right out of the gun after 30 minutes to clear the fumes out of that tiny space

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No buff, no bullshit.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Prep. for repainting a roughish OG Paint VW? Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
...Great autobody restoration guys use quality materials, didn’t see any on the list.
Nice work, it gives me hope that i can paint my Ghia in my two car garage. Since you have a good understanding of what is going on, could you elaborate on the above list and perhaps make recommendations on products and procedure?

Thanks,
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Prep. for repainting a roughish OG Paint VW? Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
...Great autobody restoration guys use quality materials, didn’t see any on the list.
Nice work, it gives me hope that i can paint my Ghia in my two car garage. Since you have a good understanding of what is going on, could you elaborate on the above list and perhaps make recommendations on products and procedure?

Thanks,
Emil

You've been 'talking about paint jobs' for 3 years & have not made any progress yet? Buy CUSTOM PAINTING by Tom Brownell & follow his advice!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Prep. for repainting a roughish OG Paint VW? Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

Thanks,
Emil

I did a repair on that bus outside while it was snowing in gilroy California, I’ve learned how to more with less over the years.

I painted this bus panel by panel outside of my shop in Lahaina, since shop space is so expensive there. There was no room in my shop.
Eventually I’ll do a write up for the home hobbiest on the tricks I’ve learned.
I had a head start since my dad was a union autobody frame guy when I was growing up.
I’ve litteraly been doing it since I was a kid.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Prep. for repainting a roughish OG Paint VW? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Evil_Fiz wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

Thanks,
Emil

You've been 'talking about paint jobs' for 3 years & have not made any progress yet? Buy CUSTOM PAINTING by Tom Brownell & follow his advice!

I respect slow cautious moves by potential restoration neophytes, more cool cars have been ruined by good intentions of dreamers than I care to think about. Hi Mike!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Prep. for repainting a roughish OG Paint VW? Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
...You've been 'talking about paint jobs' for 3 years & have not made any progress yet? Buy CUSTOM PAINTING by Tom Brownell & follow his advice!
I apologize for mistaking this forum as a place to ask questions and educate myself. Please let me know what a reasonable time frame is to gather the information I seek and complete my project. If I had the the good fortune of having been born knowing everything required to complete all tasks expected of me before my expiration date, I would be sharing that knowledge with others rather than deriding them for attempting to learn from the experiences of others. Everything YOU know today had to be learned. I'm sure you asked for help once or twice along the way.
... and yes, I HAVE made progress on my project (take a look at my build thread if you don't believe me,) but that does not mean I have to stop educating myself and looking for complimentary or alternative information.

Since you have been keeping such a close eye on my forum activity, please make note of all the opportunities I have taken to help others. I don't know everything but I know how to be helpful and humble.

"Custom painting - The do-it-yourself guide to custom painting" by Tom Brownell was written over 18 years ago. I'm certain new products exist that were not covered in the book.
The good news is that hidden within your caustic response is advice I can actually use. I was unaware of that book. Thank you kindly.

-----
Emil

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Prep. for repainting a roughish OG Paint VW? Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:

I did a repair on that bus outside while it was snowing in gilroy California, I’ve learned how to more with less over the years.
The kid looks comfy and pretty impressed with your work as well Very Happy
Looking forward to your "Tips-n-Tricks."

-----
Emil

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: