Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

drawbacks to a low inlet pressure HVLP gun?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: drawbacks to a low inlet pressure HVLP gun? Reply with quote

So there are a couple less demanding HVLP guns on the market and I was wondering what the drawbacks are to these...seems like they are perfect for the hobbyist that plans to buy a single stage 5-7HP, belt drive, 60gal air compressor. Yet general opinion is that you need a bigger compressor to properly atomize the paint with an HVLP gun. What gives?...What am i missing here?

Devilbiss Finishline3 ($150):23psi@inlet=10psi@cap
AC Requirement: 13cfm@10psi

Devilbiss GTA ($200, econo version of GTI):23psi@inlet=10psi@cap
AC Requirement: 13cfm@23psi

Sharpe Ti ($250): 30psi@inlet = 10psi@cap
AC Requirement:13cfm@23psi

Compared to more Traditional:

Sharpe Cobalt ($150): 50psi@inlet = 10psi@cap;
AC Requirement:13.9cfm@50psi

SATA nr95 ($100used, $380 new): 43psi@inlet = 10psi@cap;
AC Requirement:13cfm@43psi

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP ratings are completely bogus when looking at a compressor. You need to examine the actual output figures. I've seen an advertised 5 HP that made about 6 cfm at 40 psi. Contrast that with my 7.5 HP 2 stage that makes over 20 cfm at 100 psi. A lot bigger difference than the supposedly 2.5 HP difference would suggest.

A more miserly air consumer is the Iwata 400 series guns - 9.5 cfm at 16 psi. Considered by a lot of people to be the best gun in the world. Retails for about $400. That tells me you don't need a huge volume of air to have a superior gun.

I'm starting to see a few 5-6 HP 2-stage compressors around for about $1200. Probably a good choice for the serious hobbiest.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: