Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can any body help save my 57 oval rag, this SUCKS!!!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Can any body help save my 57 oval rag, this SUCKS!!! Reply with quote

Hello everyone, so I picked up my dream car a 57 rag from the Samba classifieds same day it posted about a month ago for 2,500$$.. I thought this was a great deal. The car is very original and solid no rust or dings, matching numbers, not running and needs brakes. Elictrical is clean has bean garaged for 17 years since 94".. the owner got it from a friend before he passed away in 94" and its bean garaged since.. he sold it to me with no title, he said he dident want to waist his time trying to chase the title around at the dmv. long story short its mine now, I had the vin checked out and it came up as "unrevised junk" meaning the car can not be registerd or titled on any road.. when the dead guy died so did the car. What should I do? I have 2 options I could park it for 7 years and forget about till it drops from dmv records, or pan swap my body. Does anyone have a titled 57 pan they want to get rid of?? This sucks.. I'm in anaheim cali.. pictures in the galery sorry I couldent figure out how to post on the forums..
markm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go Johnny.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Original sized pics from the gallery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know anybody that has a tow yard that would help, they can put it on a lien and that would take care of all that paper work.
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to a guy who owns a tow yard he said it won't work because its a junk title. He thought someone was killed in it or a divorce gone bad then I told him about the dead guy being the last registered owner and he said that's the problem. The guy who sold me the car I think he tried to register it and gave the dmv the dead guys info from who he got it from wich red flaged the the car.. he told me to wait 7 to 8 years and then try register it, with out the dead guys info..
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sound mean and uncaring but really, how many posts are there on this site and other old car sites about NOT BUYING A CAR WITHOUT A LEGAL TITLE OR OWNERSHIP CLAIM ?

I just did a thesamba forum search using no title it came back with 7003 hits. Granted they don't all apply but still.......

Move to a State with more lax ownership policies for a year or so and title it there, part it out, change the pan as you already mentioned or wait the 7 years.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcelhaney14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you talked to more than one DMV? I know where I am at if I go to Victorville it's like hell but if I drive to Barstow it's amazing what kind of things they can do. All of a sudden a form that didn't exist an hour ago appears. I don't see why it can't be brought back on the road. I've never had california give me problem as long as I was willing to pay the fees. Also try AAA if you have them.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Not to sound mean and uncaring but really, how many posts are there on this site and other old car sites about NOT BUYING A CAR WITHOUT A LEGAL TITLE OR OWNERSHIP CLAIM ?

You sound mean and uncaring. And I agree with you. If the car was mis-represented, then take the seller to court. If not, turn the seats around, install a HDTV, mini-fridge, and you have an instant Man-Cave.
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lawyer might be able to help, sort of along the lines of a "resurrect 'em and sue 'em" type of thing against the prior registered owner. Betcha he defaults! There may be other ways a lawyer could help, too. I've helped some people with those kinds of problems through the courts & other processes (but not in CA). Not sure that's your most cost-effective approach, but one to consider if all else fails.

There are always other ways to skin the cat--don't give up hope. Take the time to really learn and understand the rules for getting a title. "Talking to a guy" whether or not he owns a tow yard is probably not the best & last resort for information.

It is indeed a good suggestion to go to another state with looser title requirements...that's basically what those title services do.
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What state are you in?
63beryl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice looking car for $2500. The title issues will be a pain to sort out, but it can be done. It sounds like the po gave up and passed the title problem onto you. I'd start by having a face to face meeting with your local dmv and honestly explain the situation and ask for their help. They are the "experts" in your state and they have experience dealing with your exact problem. Don't talk to the new girl, you want to talk with the old lady that's worked there 20 years. If they can't help then you can start looking into other solutions.
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:
What state are you in?
I'm in California..
63beryl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start your research right here. I just resolved a little title problem I had by using this site. My issues was minor..the po had lost his title and we had to file for a new title.

http://dmv.ca.gov/portal/home/dmv.htm
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedebtfree wrote:
That's a nice looking car for $2500. The title issues will be a pain to sort out, but it can be done. It sounds like the po gave up and passed the title problem onto you. I'd start by having a face to face meeting with your local dmv and honestly explain the situation and ask for their help. They are the "experts" in your state and they have experience dealing with your exact problem. Don't talk to the new girl, you want to talk with the old lady that's worked there 20 years. If they can't help then you can start looking into other solutions.
yea, the price was right. She is complete, came with popouts, rack, radio, batwing steering wheel, aprons are nice, doors shut tight.. I cant give up on this car and I would hate to take her of the original rust free pan. I was the first person to call the seller when he posted the car. I don't think I can wait 7 years Im 30 years old and I ain't getting any younger..
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here, but you better hurry! Things in the title business are changing quickly. It's getting much more difficult to get a title, so DON'T put it off if you need one!
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Investigate the Vermont Method
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/22890-international-title-service-service-14.html
Bezzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In New York you can register ANY car (older, 1972 back) using the VIN, BUT..........the catch is .....you can only get a NON-TRANSFERABLE registration. That means you CAN'T SELL IT!!!! after three years the registration automatically becomes transferable.

I think they just don't want people registering and selling carts they don't own. The three years allows anyone with a "prior claim" on the car to come foward. Wink
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the California DMV......

Resurrecting a Salvage Vehicle
Sometimes, a salvage vehicle can be driven again. Even if an insurer says a car is totaled, it might actually be fixable.

Used car dealers purchase totaled vehicles at auction, repair them, and then resell them to the public. When a salvaged vehicle is repaired to street-worthiness, the Salvage Certificate is exchanged for a special title so it can be legally sold. This title says "Revived Salvage." It will never get a clean title again. At this point, the vehicle may be reregistered.

How to Spot a Salvage
In the private market, the easiest way to spot a salvage is to look at the title. It will either say "Revived Salvage" or have a Salvage Certificate instead of a title. By taking away the title, California is protecting consumers against buying a salvage vehicle without knowing it.

"Junked" Vehicles
Junked vehicles are basically a pile of parts.
Believe it or not, junked vehicles may also be revived and sold as operational, and they will also carry a brand on the title. More likely, they will be further dismantled and the usable parts resold.

Reregistering a Junked Vehicle
As with a Revived Salvage car, it's possible to put a junked vehicle back into service and reregister it. If you've rebuilt a junked vehicle, the DMV has put together a short checklist of what you need.

The DMV wants to see the car's history, in the form of all sales slips, bills of sale, and receipts for everything you got relating to the car. Make sure that each of these details what was included in the sale: the part, year, make, model, and vehicle identification number.

Quote:
The DMV wants to see the car's history, in the form of all sales slips, bills of sale, and receipts for everything you got relating to the car. Make sure that each of these details what was included in the sale: the part, year, make, model, and vehicle identification number.

This is obviously going to be your hurdle. The first thing I would do is talk to someone at the DMV, explain your situation and see if they are willing to help you. If they give you shit, then ask for the manager. If your local DMV is not helping ask for the Dmv HQ phone number in Sac. I wouldnt just give up, nor would I wait 7 years......

Edit:
Here is the checklist the DMV requires before you can register a "junked" vehicle.

How to Re register a Junked Vehicle Checklist
The requirements to re-register a vehicle previously junked are:

A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).

The "junk" receipt or a bill of sale from the dismantler. A dismantler's bill of sale must include the dismantler's acquisition number.

Any additional bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership from the person shown on the junk receipt or dismantler's bill of sale to you.

A vehicle inspection by an authorized DMV employee or the California Highway Patrol.

Official Brake and Light Adjustment Certificates.

A weight certificate from a California Certified Public Weighmaster, if the vehicle is a pickup or truck.

Smog Certification, if the vehicle is a 1976 or newer year model.

A Total Loss Salvage Vehicles and Dismantled Vehicles Inspection Fee.

A Prior History Fee.

Registration Fees.

Link...
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr4.htm
Livin'LaVdubLoca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titled 57 pan
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1071006

or

--in CA--
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1056761

Maybe make it a 56??
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1095986

57 pan
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1094086

My '67 Type 1 Project

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks stale air, for all the info. I did not find that info in my research with junk titles. This just gave me some hope. Could you send me the link so I can print it out and take it with me to the dmv. I could not find whare you got this from.. I can't give up on her..
nebraska65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: bonded title Reply with quote

i live in nebraska and they have what is called a bonded title search there are a few forms and it isnt cheap can run around 300-400 bucks and u get a bonded title then in three years u can file for the release of the bond. now the dmv had no clue what i was talking about when i asked in the office and when i sent them an email but a little looking on their web site and there it was with printable forms and instructions...... so dont give up it will be worth it when its all done....good luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: