Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Beetle aftermarket turn signal switch wiring
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
budrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: 67 Beetle aftermarket turn signal switch wiring Reply with quote

Trying to figure out wiring from new aftermarket turn signal switch on my 67 beetle sedan. Any help would be greatly appreciated, new to this forum, I apologize in advance if I have posted incorrectly!
New switch has the following wires:
1. Green & black ( matches OEM - no problem)
2. Black & white (matches OEM - no problem)
3. Brown & white ( matches OEM - to S terminal on dimmer relay)
4. Brown ( to horn?)
5. Black with blue of shoot wire (Does this replace OEM Black/White/Green?) If so I assume black goes to 49a terminal on signal relay and blue to "K" on emergency flasher switch?
6. Brown offshoot wire from brown/white wire, have no idea?
7. All told there are 7 push on connector ends.
Purchased from CIP Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
repairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went thru this with messed up oem wiring. The '67 US schematic is not clear. With some help from this site, here's what I did.

I believe your new switch wiring is messed up. The (brown) wire with the intermediate connector should be ALL brown. Your short brown wire should be brown/white.
The Chinese QC guy must have been on a rice break.
It should work electrically though.

1 and 2 are correct. The intermediate spade (your #6) connector in the long brown (pretend it's all brown)wire is a ground which is not on the schematic. I put a male spade terminal under one of the small screws on the back of the speedo and connected it there. This wire grounds the HL relay thru the flasher button on the TS switch.
The far end of this wire goes to... get this... the wiper switch -I believe to terminal #30 -it's not marked on the schematic but there is a ground symbol there. So it must serve as ground for the wiper switch too. Weird way to do it though.
So now the short brown (which should be brown/white) goes to S on the HL relay.
5 is correct, and the blue does go to K.
If you were using the replacement "black box" from WW you cut this wire off and run a separate blue wire from K to another (doesn't exist on the OEM box) terminal on the WW box.
Clear? I was confused too, and my switch was original to the car...
Worked for me, YMMV usual disclaimers.
budrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Thanks for the response Repairhead ! Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it seems all of these aftermarket TS switches have the same wire configuration, and none that I have found match oem switch wires exactly. I am working on changing out the TS switch this weekend, my current oem switch worked fine for turn signals, but the dimmer switch wiring was not connected, and the lever itself was broken off, so that's why I'm installing a new one. The existing wiring doesn't follow oem schematic, but works, so I'll put your ideas and existing setup together to figure it out, when/if I get it working I'll draw up a schematic for aftermarket switch wiring. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
budrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Effort continues on turn signal switch Reply with quote

With all wires hooked up except for plain brown wire from turn signal switch and auxillary wire that is connected to brown/white, all works well...lights dim via the dimmer on TS switch, hazard lights work, turn signals work ..everything.....excpt when I turn the ignition switch on, then all continues to work except for dimmer switch, when the dimmer switch is engaged for a second, a growling sound comes from the emergency & turn signal flasher relay and headlights won't dim? I checked the brown wire that comes from the ts switch that is not connected, and it is a switched positive wire? Again all items, including the emergency flasher internal switch light work, while the ignition is off or on.What's up????? Would appreciate any comments, do I just have a bad ts switch, it's a new aftermarket from CIP, thanks again to previous post, I tried to run the brown wire to S terminal and that didn't work. Has anyone purchased an aftermarket TS switch for a 67 beetle that has worked? Picture of switch and wires on the first post.Thanks, Bud
bfrancis972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same switch in my 67. Did you run a brown wire from the S flasher relay to the S highbeam relay? I ran the brown and white long wire to the wiper switch to ground it, where does the brown connected wire go?. What if I connected the all brown short wire that is part of the t/s harness to the S Flasher relay , the long brown and white wire to the wiper swithch and the connected small wire to the S on the Highbeam relay. Will that work?
budrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Updated TS wiring Reply with quote

bfrancis972 , here's what I ended up doing and it works perfectly, including the emergency flasher:

1 Black wire to 49a terminal on emergency flasher relay (big black box)
2 Blue wire that is tapped off the black wire goes to "K" terminal on Emergency flasher switch on dash.
3. Brown & white wire to ground (I went to speedo mount screw)
4. Brown wire that is tapped off the brown & white to #31 on Wiper switch.
5. Plain brown wire goes to "S" terminal on dimmer relay.

Actually all worked pefectly without the second brown wire off the brown and white even being connected to the #31 terminal on wiper switch.

Hope this helps, if you got your switch from CIP, the one I got from them was defective. Internal wiring was screwed up.
bfrancis972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the plain brown wire goes to the S on the dimmer relay. What wire goes to the S on the flasher relay?
budrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: S terminal on flasher relay Reply with quote

If the plain brown wire goes to the S on the dimmer relay. What wire goes to the S on the flasher relay?

The "S" post on the flasher relay goes to the "S" post on the emergency flasher switch.
budrig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Dimmer relay Reply with quote

Keep in mind all you are doing is sending and intermittent ground to the dimmer, which makes it switch from low beam to high beam. The two brown wires come from the end of the TS switch, which when pressed, send the ground to the flasher relay which makes it switch from low to high beam and back. There are alot of people here that can give you better information, I have learned alot from this site, this is just what has worked for me. Have you looked at the wiring diagams on this site, they are very helpful as well, they are found under the technical tab at the top of the page.
djweaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sound stupid but what is the "49a" I am trying to wire mine as well.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 49a is one of the terminal numbers on the flasher unit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djweaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some how Ive lost turn signals and brake lights. Well actually Ive never had them since I changed the turn signal switch. It recognizes that I am turning the turn signal switch because the light comes on.

I am wired as follows:

Black with blue extension to the 49a
Blue extension goes to the left side of the flasher switch
Single Tan goes to the S connection on the headlight dimmer/flasher relay
Tan w/White goes to Wiper switch
The jumper Tan is screwed in to the speedo housing
I am about to try rewiring the original to see what I get, can't drive without brake lights
djweaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just rewired the old one back in and am getting the same thing signal recognizes it is turned on either way no flash no light. Also still no brake lights all of which I had before I started. Fuses are good I went through each of them. One of the things I got were all new fuses so I changed them out
djweaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it!!!The #1 8 amp fuse was actually bad it just didn't look like it. When I pulled it out, the metal piece that "blows" fell off of it.

I was looking at my manual and saw Fuel gauge and mine was working so I didn't think it could be the fuse. What my eyes glanced over was the Fuel Gauge (except 1967)
collin coburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey so how did you end up getting it fixed? i tried hooking it up the way bedrid posted and everything worked, other than i still can not change from high to low beams!
djweaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check your fuse first make sure it's fine. That is what mine turned out to be.
The single Tan goes to the S terminal on the flasher. If it's like mine you can just skip the flasher unit right off the tab. Or you can just feel the farthest prong back is the S terminal.
I would bet you have your tans mixed up. Swap your tan that is grounded to the speedo. This happened to me and I was stuck on whichever one it was in at the time. Hope that helps.
collin coburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay i will give that a try when my bug back from the mechanic, Its getting everything checked on it to make sure it is safe. just finished restoring it Smile this is my first car/and bug so I still don't know a lot about some things, from what i'v found, the button on the turn signal switch is the way to change from high to low beams right? still learning new things every day.
Thank you
collin coburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i have tried everything and still can't get it to work, i wonder if my dimmer relay could have gone bad?
djweaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you plug your old one back up? You can do it right under the hood with out re-feeding the wires. See if it works then. If it doesn't, then the relay must have gone bad.
collin coburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have the old one anymore, it has to be the dimmer relay. ill try getting one and see it that does the trick, thanks for your help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: