Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where did you get a decent sandblasting hood?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: where did you get a decent sandblasting hood? Reply with quote

Been sand blasting under the doublecab for three days now and the hood I have is pretty much worthless. It doesn't keep the sand out from around the lense and has no way to keep the lense from getting scratched and opaque .Been wearing goggles, respirator ,and the crappy hood but still gettting sand past all that. I can't keep on blasting and getting sand in my eyes. Unless I no longer care to see. Wink
Where have you guys either found a decent hood, or does anyone have any tips on making one? Any tips appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
homebrewin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, when I sandblast I use the following:

Tight fitting pair of safety goggles
ear plugs
towel/rag or hat to cover my head
3m welding/grinding type respirator
grinding type face shield

I have used a hood sold specifically for sandblasting, and like you said, it did not hold up very well and soon my visibility was limited.
The brand I used was a cheap one from harbor freight. I'm sure the eastman brands or some of the higher end types offer more longevity, but the setup I use is inexpensive, and you can replace your face shield insert for 10 bucks or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing pretty much the same thing but once in a while sand would get by the goggles while laying underneath the bus. I am going to glue some material to the goggles for a hood and see how that works.
vwsplitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Sandblast hoods Reply with quote

Years ago I purchased a great hood from TIP sandblast equipment. Recently they have discontinued all of their pressure blasters and are only selling sandblast cabinets. Therefore no need to sell the hoods. Heres some good news. Part of their sandblasting business was transferred to a company called Brut Manufacturing. They sell pressure pot sandblasters and do have a sandblasting hood for around $33 or so. It has two rear vents and the lens area in the front. My unit which Ive had at least 15 years has changable lenses, and also a very fine mesh screen over the lens which keeps the lens from getting pitted. Every once in a while I change the plastic lens when it starts getting scratched.
Also keep in mind you want to wear a respirator so as not to breathe in silica dust and get silicosis. I usually wear ear plugs. My particular hood is heavy canvas and comes down to my shoulders. By the way their website is brutmfg.com . Chuck P
diy570
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to an army surplus store and pick up a "gas mask", the full face type with the canisters. the eye lenses are replaceable. it keeps the sand sealed out of your face totally and you dont breathe the shit in either.
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas masks do not keep out the silica dust. The cartridges are for gas.
Look at your local resiprator shop and on the back of every package, even the ones for dust, it says "not for use with abrasive blasting (sandblasting)". None of those will do what you think its doing. NIOSH doesnt even want you to use silica at all. I want to use the Black beauty/black bast which is 0% toxic, but the grains are too large for my gun and clog up too quickly.

The only NIOSH approved setup is a positive pressure type hood. (compressor pumping air in)
Im currently trying to figure out how i am going to blast the entire inside of my bus since i dont want to spend $500 on one of those hood/compressors. Anybody find any good small grained non toxic media to use?

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=22729

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/abrasi-1.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look at the ones from brut mfg. and ordered one. Looks alot better than the one I am using. Now all I have to do is figure out a way to make a cheap forced air supply. Wonder if anyone still sells that thin hair dyer hose that was used on the old fashioned beauty salon hair dryers anymore? That and a hair dryer on high (no heat) should supply enough air. I can't afford a foced air respirator. Any other cheap ideas out there?
diy570
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kommercial wrote:
Gas masks do not keep out the silica dust. The cartridges are for gas.

you may be right, but its better than the regular hoods that most people use. he was asking about keeping sand out of his eyes, the gas mask does a good job of it and you dont breathe in much.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might be able to score a used air pump from a medical suply place
for a few bucks.
i have two my self,one for air and one for vacuum,. doesn't put out alot but it will keep air to you and you can make the hose as long as you like.
brand DeVilbiss or the like.
mesures 1foot x 4 inches and it's 110v

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people have created home made supplied air systems for a hundred bucks or so. If you check out
http://www.autobody101.com/
and search for home made, you;ll find a lot of information.

If you are going to paint the inside of the bus after you blast it, a supplied air system is a darned good idea.
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim for that link! I ended up finding 40 feet of the thin tube at the local army surplus store. So I have a start and some ideas to work with from that site.
I'm thinking on modifying an old respirator I have and using it on both the sand blasting and when it comes time to paint.
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mine is an old model,but like i said, prolly pick up one used one cheep at a garage sale or med. supply place
http://www.medfinity.com/web/product/PulmoAide_Com...l_info.asp

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: