Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mechanical vs. electrical fuel pump.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
huck731
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: mechanical vs. electrical fuel pump. Reply with quote

So I recently found out that one of the reason the 1600 dp I got with my 71 super beetle wasnt running correctly was the fact that the fuel pump is all messed up. I have been advised that the gas in my oil was the fact that the fuel pump diaphram is tore and the fuel ride guide block (or whatever you want to call it) is completly broke in half. seeing as I need a new mechanical fuel pump and mounting block which is about $25 give or take, should I just get that or could I just install the electric fuel pump that I came with my dellorto DLRA 40 carb that I bought from a guy on here? the dell carb and a stinger exhaust with merged header are the only mods to the engine.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the mechanical pump.

An electric is no better and simply not needed. In fact it could provide too much fuel and require the addition of a regulator.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candymustang65
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehh Facett sell's a pump that putt's out 2-3 PSI but you need to specify that this is the pump you want .
Supposedly no reg is needed when useing this pump is my understanding with dual webbers requireing a Maximum pressure of 3 PSI ?
But Reg is reccomendin as surge's are possible with any pump .
Stock pump's typically putt out 5-7 PSI wich the typical Solex Carb inlett valve should take up to 7 PSI max before overideing the inlett valve .
Im not the Dell Expert but can tell you that typically with dual webbers and single webbers that stock fuel pump need's to be reduced .
Typically on webbers they have removable fuel inlett nipples or the nipples are 5/16th's O.D. or metric equivalent .
( If your Dell's sport permanant 1/4 in or metric equivalent sized inletts a Electric pump / Regulator is the easiest option of reduceing pump pressure )
Now the stock fuel pump sports 1/4 In. outlett and inlett nipple .
By Going from 1/4 off the pump then increaseing to 5/16ths in conjunction with 2-3 gaskets under the fuel pump you can affectively reduce stock fuel pump pressure down tothe 2-3 PSI required to runn Webber carb's .
I use a plastic tear dropp inline fuel filter with graduated sized nipples from 1/4 - 5/16th's between stock pump and carb .
Not only does it reduce pressure by going on one side from the pump with 1/4 In. to 5/16ths on the otherside but it also serve's as a visual aide in knowing if fuel pump pressure is overrideing your inlett carb valves .
1/4 full to 2/3rds full filter is about right .
Full filter indicate's overrideing of the fuel inlett valves causeing a flooded or fatt condition .
As to Maximum fuel pressure for Dell's ?
Im not the Dell expert ?
But wouldnt need to know if I sett it up with the filter and an I.D. increase of fuel line from filter to carb's as I could see it .
NOTE : A particular but common fuel filter of a specific type is used use of any other filter or failure to install correctly can cause an engine compartment failure .
No Glass or metal filter should ever be used in the engine compartment !
Sean
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you don't NEED an electric pump. But there are some advantages.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1832995#1832995

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally they are more hassle than they are worth.
The biggest mistake most people make installing them is not wiring in a safety cut out so the pump stops in the event of an accident.

placement is critical too, they need a good gravity feed so only directly under the fuel tank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: