Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rajay turbo question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
willrigdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Rajay turbo question Reply with quote

Do they still make rajay turbo kits and if not when did they stop? I found one on craigslist and I'd like to know more about it but I can't seem to find any new ones or any info on the kits at all. Also what do you think a complete polished rajay turbo kit would be worth?
mike25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i been around them for yrs give me a call 269 9669414
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 posts in 1 week, what are the odds?

If complete, they go for a ton of cash because they fall into the realm of 'vintage speed'. So unless that's what you're after, I suggest you use more modern parts. The Rajay turbo itself is fine (I sell them), but there's no reason not to use a current production wastegate, new header, and whatever carb you want. After all, turbo technology has come a long way since the kit was made in the 70's. So what I'm saying is either you're after turbo performance (in which case the kit is not for you), or turbo looks (go with the kit).

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
willrigdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info...i'm going to go ahead and get it then post pictures and see what you guys think...i'm getting the whole kit, headers west gate distributor and plumbing for 425...hopefully the picutres he has posted are of what he has and aren't doctored up.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post them here before you pay, please. CL people are sheisty as fuck, I don't trust anyone on the interwebs any farther than I can throw them (which for fat Oreo eatin ass CL people who still live in their folks' basement, ain't very far). Evil or Very Mad

$425 is way low: either he don't know what he has, or you're being ripped off. Proceed with caution, and at your own risk.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
willrigdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

any input woud be appreciated, what its worth, what else i need, any input

if you want to know the serial number let me know

how does this fit into the kit...i'm pretty sure its the waste gate but how does it work

not sure why this is before the turbo

i'm not sure what i'm going to do with it yet...either put it on or sell it.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a score.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willrigdon wrote:
how does this fit into the kit...i'm pretty sure its the waste gate but how does it work

It's a 1st gen DSM blow-off valve, no purpose for use on your kit. Put it in the classifieds, I love mine! Cool

Looks like you still need a wastegate, I don't see one in the pics. Don't see the pipe that connects the turbo outlet to the intake either...

Post the info located on the tag of the turbo, I'd like to know if it's a B or F compressor. Looks like a B, but one never can tell.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
willrigdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

model 3ac1bb25b1
serial 207870
part 500584-2b

what can you tell me about the turbo? I've got a 1835 with unknown cam and compression cause i bought it assembled. How much do you think the kit is worth? How much do you think the waste gate and intake parts will cost? what kind of horsepower gain do you think i'm looking at? sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to figure out what i have and if it was a good deal. I've been toying around with the idea of tearing down my motor and building it for this turbo, proper cam, compression ratio, ext. also what kind of cam would be good for an almost everyday driver with as much streetale power as possible?
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like I thought it's a BB25, smallest one they make. Since this kit was designed with 1600cc displacement in mind, anything bigger makes an upgrade to the compressor mandatory in my book. Bigger compressor will keep intake temps lower, so detonation is less of a worry. It also increases you boost potential, since the bigger compressor moves more air- don't lie to yourself, you want more boost you just don't know it yet. Twisted Evil

Wasteagates can vary on price, just make sure you get something with a brand name on it. The intake parts will have to be fabbed, unless you stumble on the parts you need (not likely).

HP gain? You can easily double the power safely, but it depends on your tuning ability.

If you tear it down to make a purpose built street turbo, I'd use compression somewhere around 7.8:1/8:1. Get an Engle 100 cam, or something in that general duration range.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
willrigdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think i could put on my motor as is without knowing the exactly what my internal componts are or is the compressor too small to make a difference with a motor larger than a 1600? How is the boost contorlled? Where can I get a new compressor and how much do they cost? And when you say new compressor that doesn't mean i need a whole new compressor do I? I'm trying to get as much hp gain as i can for the least amount of money. So if i could get 20 hp from this kit that would satisfy me for now. Also this is the kit i got for 425, it came with a few other misc. parts and a sedan bug transmision, do you think I got my money's worth. Thank you very much for all your help and info, how people survived before forums i'll never know lol.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willrigdon wrote:
do you think i could put on my motor as is without knowing exactly what my internal componts are, or is the compressor too small to make a difference with a motor larger than a 1600?

You can throw any part on any engine, but no one knows how it will react. If your compression is too high, you won't be able to run much boost at all before detonation. That means you might not get even 5 hp before it blows. As for the compressor, it's a double edged sword. Yes it will 'work', but the efficiency is so low on that B wheel that the air heats up very fast. That's why I tell everyone to ditch it in favor of the F wheel, because my opinion is it's too small for just about any engine- including a 1600. Technically speaking, it's lost most of it's ability to move air beyond 7 PSI. At least, that's what the flowcharts say.

Quote:
How is the boost contorlled?

There are 2 ways: by restricting the turbo inlet so only so much air can get through it, or by using a wastegate. Of the 2, wastegate is the preferred method.

Quote:
Where can I get a new compressor and how much do they cost? And when you say new compressor, that doesn't mean i need a whole new compressor do I?

I do the upgrades, if you're interested. And yes, the wheel and compressor housing are replaced. It's pretty straightforward, I've done a lot of them over the years.

Quote:
I'm trying to get as much hp gain as i can for the least amount of money.

That's why you need the F compressor, at a minimum. If you ask too much of that little B wheel, you'll probably end up melting something in short order.

Quote:
if i could get 20 hp from this kit that would satisfy me for now.

No it won't. You can't BS a BS'er. Wink

You got a turbo kit for a reason, use it to it's potential or sell it to someone who will.

Quote:
Also this is the kit i got for 425, it came with a few other misc. parts and a sedan bug transmision, do you think I got my money's worth.

You got a killer deal, I sell just the turbos made to order for $500 alone. The upgrades are much cheaper, of course. Cool

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
willrigdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my budget is low, very low. What do i have to do to make this turbo work my buggy? Could i re cam it, get the compression ratio where it needs to be, buy and fabricate the parts i need, like the intake and buy the wastegate, then put the turbo on my buggy. Do you think its possible to hit 120 hp with that turbo and setting up the motor for the turbo? I'll barely be able to afford to buy a new cam and do whats nessecary to get the compression ratio right.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willrigdon wrote:
I'll barely be able to afford to buy a new cam and do whats nessecary to get the compression ratio right.

Then what you need to do is wait, and save some money. Doing a budget build/cutting corners is generally safe with N/A engines, but you're asking for trouble here. Turbo engines have much less tolerance for getting things wrong, and the way you're headings mistakes are inevitable.

FWIW though, it wouldn't take much money to get the thing set up for turbo. Let's say that right now you have too much compression and the wrong cam. So you get some shims for the jugs (maybe $50?), and buy a new cam/lifter set ($120). Then fab whatever random intake parts you need to make the connections, and buy a wastegate (anywhere up to $200). After that you send me the turbo for the compressor conversion (between $150-$200). So all in all you'd be looking at maybe $500, assuming you need to make engine changes.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
Nelson64Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: I have the same question... Rajay Turbo Kit - buy? Reply with quote

Hi there, I noticed you commented on a similar predicament years back.

I'm being offered the kit shown in these photos, along with a 45 sided draft.

Click here if above pics don't load:

https://imgur.com/ioxN5vQ,9HnbPAk

https://imgur.com/ioxN5vQ,9HnbPAk#1

Owner says it came off of a 1641. It has no waste gate and no oil cooling lines. Is it worth anything? It'll be for my stock 1600 baja that I use as a daily driver. I live in Albuquerque at 5,000 feet altitude. Summers can get into the 90's.

Nelson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: