Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust Bullet vs. Master Series Silver
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoonerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Rust Bullet vs. Master Series Silver Reply with quote

Hey paint gurus: Any thoughts/experience with Rust Bullet vs. Master Series Silver?

Both of them claim to work with minimal surface prep, but Rust Bullet seems to be more of a "rust converter" whereas it seems that Master Series Silver is more like a paint with a urethane component like POR-15 in it.

Currently using Master Series as my primer on small-scale rust project. Pleased with it so far, but thinking about what I'm going to do to attack and (most importantly) prevent rust in the chassis next.

Gracias in advance.

FORMERLY:
-'86 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender original 2.1 Waterboxer - "Buster". Like the moe. song - Pig can fly!! Not named after it's tendency to have things on it bust. Smile
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both work very well for underbody and suspension parts.
Magnet paints too.

For rust encapsulation that is going to get any filler used, POR15 is the only product I would recommend and following the step by step prep process and layering of a tie coat primer is essential. Flash periods must watched carefully and multiple thins layers, sprayed has worked the best for me. The humidity level of the air and temperature is crucial for adhesion and quality of the finish.
A labor of love, no doubt.
The work I am doing is professional quality.
If you are just looking to stop the rust and get it sealed...
any of th products will work.

dylan
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that there are contributing members here who sell paint products here...
I am not knocking there products.
I have used them all and try to give answers with experience to back them up.
Any info. they would like to share, in far greater detail than what is available on there site and labelling would be greatly appreciated.
I am open to trying all products they recommend and will photo document the process for a Vanagon specific applications.
Please pmail me and we can discuss such a project.

dylan
SoonerDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, insyncro - that is helpful, and consistent with what I was thinking.

FORMERLY:
-'86 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender original 2.1 Waterboxer - "Buster". Like the moe. song - Pig can fly!! Not named after it's tendency to have things on it bust. Smile
wolfywho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really liking the Master Series products. Here's a link to my blog showing my progress with it.

http://beingwolfy.wordpress.com

I've done the bottom of the pan, and the bottom of the body so far. I'm going to do the top side of the pan (inside cabin) this weekend with it.

-wolfy
scottf3334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the vote for MasterSeries. I've used Por15 as well.

IMHO MasterSeries "sticks" better to surfaces with minimal prep. I've had por15 peel off.

They are totally different products. With different applications.
bquigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rust Bullet vs. Master Series Silver Reply with quote

SoonerDave wrote:
Hey paint gurus: Any thoughts/experience with Rust Bullet vs. Master Series Silver?

Both of them claim to work with minimal surface prep, but Rust Bullet seems to be more of a "rust converter" whereas it seems that Master Series Silver is more like a paint with a urethane component like POR-15 in it.

Currently using Master Series as my primer on small-scale rust project. Pleased with it so far, but thinking about what I'm going to do to attack and (most importantly) prevent rust in the chassis next.

Gracias in advance.

Rust Bullet is not a rust converter its a slow cure encapsulating paint, unless they have a new product. I have used it with good results on parts that i could handle, clean, and dry well (with heat) before painting. I got some rust showing on spots I painted under the van, where I knew could have paid more attention to the prep and application. Where I really was carefull though it has performed well over the past three years including some N.E. salt winter driving
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: