Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear luggage area
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Rear luggage area Reply with quote

I need to replace the luggage area behind the back seat in my 63. I was wondering if the luggage are a from a 74 standard beetle would work to patch the area. If not, what years can I cut a patch panel out of and have it match my 63?
biggene
Samba Hillbilly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by the body shop that is replacing mine, that any year tray will fit. I know the ones that they sell as repro parts are supposed to fit all years for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miguel Arroyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine replaced on my 1970 about a year ago. I opted to purchase a replacement panel from California Imports. I just went to their site and they have it in stock for $119 plus S&H. If the cost of cutting the replacement part and removing any rust/grease/dirt/etc plus painting it is higher than a new panel plus paint you will have to decide. By the way the one from California Imports came with the gasket.

Whichever you do make sure they paint the side that goes against the engine before it is installed. Also make sure they use good seam sealer to go over the welds. Finally make sure they paint over the welded areas to prevent corrosion.

Good luck.
VW Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I have a line on the replacement piece from a guys who will cut it out of a 74 he has laying around. My trusty angle grinder with the wire wheel will make quick work of cleaning the panel up. As far as putting it in the car, I plan on doing the work myself. I'll be putting it in with the body off, so sealing and paiting both sides will be a snap.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: