Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Fan Shroud Noise
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: 67 Fan Shroud Noise Reply with quote

I just replaced my engine oil cooler and a new noise coming for the fan area of the shroud. When I take the belt off of the gen the noise stops. The noise sounds like I have a super charger on the engine. It would be nice to have something like that but that isn't the case.

If the fan did get bent slightly that could be the noise I'm hearing. Before I changed to oil cooler everything sounded normal.

When replacing the fan in the engine shroud I have heard about some fans having welded fins. Are there improved aftermarket shroud fans or should I use a stock replacement fan?

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Volkswagen Club of Nebraska
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First try re-seating the generator on the pedestal. Loosen the band clamp ("there was this time in band clamp...") and shove the gen forward or backward a bit, and see if the noise stops. Also check your gen brushes; they can make funny noises if worn or seated wrong, and they might have been jostled when you put the gen back on.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also be a bad bearing. If you had the belt too tight when you put it back together....
Beanery69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check the back to see if you sucked in something? Rag paper towel?
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved!!! Pulled the engine Saturday and reinspected the shroud, fan, and veins in the shroud and found nothing wrong. Next I reinspected the new oil cooled I had installed this winter. The new cooler matched up to the original one in size and shape. However, the metal screen on the side of the cooled had about gap of about 1/8 inch on side and on the original one the screen was flat against the veins. So I reinstalled the old cooler which had nothing wrong with it in the first plan.

Got everything back together Saturday afternoon, and fired up the engine and the noise was gone. So what was happening was the air from the fan was getting behind the metal screen and causing the "roar" air noise I was hearing.

Took I took the car out for our Spring Cruise yesterday and the car ran great!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Volkswagen Club of Nebraska
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skabonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
First try re-seating the generator on the pedestal. Loosen the band clamp ("there was this time in band clamp...") and shove the gen forward or backward a bit, and see if the noise stops. Also check your gen brushes; they can make funny noises if worn or seated wrong, and they might have been jostled when you put the gen back on.

Awesome fix. My shroud has been making noise for months, and I thought I would have to fix it next time I pulled the engine, but This worked perfectly.

'68 Beetle "Sadie" (R.I.P.)
'67 Beetle "Ilsa"
'06 Gti "Heidi"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: