Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken Fuel Pump Spacer In Case.What Should I do?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scratchs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Broken Fuel Pump Spacer In Case.What Should I do? Reply with quote

I was having trouble with existing fuel pump so I bought a new pump, rod, spacer, and gaskets. Took the bolt off the old pump and spacer was stuck really good to case. I got a razor knife under the old gasket and it broke the seal. As I pulled out the old spacer only half came out. The other half is stuck in the engine case. I tried to remove it , but it won't move. So I cut the new spacer off at the same spot as the other one. I put it back together and its pumping fuel. Will I have a problem with oil getting into pump? Or does oil go into rod tube anyways? Or should I buy a electric pump and block- off plate and forget about it. The piece is not going anywheres. I hit it with a punch and it didnt move. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use an EZ-Out,

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar situation here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455164

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: fuel pump support Reply with quote

:lol:Over the yrs have seen quite a few broken when rebuilding a block...by others and myself included.

Best to leave the old piece inside as it is so as not to have any broken bits in the crank case or drop into the cam gear.

It is a taper fit and can only (safely that is) be removed with a punch from the inside of the case.

Trust me...have done many over the yrs building engines.

Steve
scratchs68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the pump should still work fine with it being in two pieces?
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scratchs68 wrote:
So the pump should still work fine with it being in two pieces?

It should work fine, I too have seen this and done this.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chiseled the bottom part of my broken one out. I think I retrieved broken pieces out from the oil strainer screen after. Anyway, this episode did no noticeable damage.

This was on my 1971's original engine. I did this to attempt to stop a very small oil leak near there, which wasn't the distributor seal or the oil sender either. But this didn't stop the little leak. Anyway, a few years later, one of the oil studs vibrated loose, Mrs. Cusser kept driving after the oil leaked out, bearing shells on the strainer, we drove it several more years, I've posted this before...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: