Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Size?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaduro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Size? Reply with quote

Okay, I am going to look at a 1967 VW Bug tomorrow, what all do I need to attempt to turn it over by hand? The engine doesn't run and before buying it I want to crank/turn it by hand to make sure it isn't locked up. Like I said, what all do I need? Also, what size is the bolt holding the crankshaft pulley on? I believe it is a 1300cc engine. But I'm not sure, thats what he said he thought it was, how would I tell? He said its all stock, but if I'm right, a 1300 wasnt produced for the 1967 bugs?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering very few Beetles still have their original engines in them, be prepared for anything back there! The serial number will tell you what the engine was when VW built it, but it won't tell you what other mechanics have done to it since then. In the US, the 1300 was only sold in model year 1966 (but it lasted through 1970 in other countries) Those had an engine serial number starting with the letter F. 1500 engines in 1967 started with H0, and USA-spec engines were H5 in 1968-69.

The size of bolt head for the crank pulley is 30mm. 21mm for the generator pulley (if it's an original one) A Big Old Crescent Wrench will work to turn it over as well.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: