Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'85 Vanagon Alternator blue ground wire
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattrhogan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: '85 Vanagon Alternator blue ground wire Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm just starting to do some of my own work on my Van and had to replace the alternator. I got a "Worldwide 90 amp" alternator from advance auto and put it in. The battery is charged and the car starts but the OSX light and battery light go on. From other posts it makes me think the battery isn't getting charged and I'm thinking it's because the blue wire is properly grounded. the alternator has a plastic piece sticking out where the blue wire goes and it has what looks like a copper slip piece that the blue wire goes over, but the plastic piece is very loose. How do I figure out what is going on and if in fact the battery is not charging? Remember, I'm pretty new to this.
Thanks
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: '85 Vanagon Alternator blue ground wire Reply with quote

You are hooking the blue wire to the wrong thing I suspect. The loose spade sticking out is probably the W lead and should not be connected to anything on a gas Vanagon. The blue wire connects to the small stud or a spade right next to the big stud where the red wires connect. The blue wire is not a ground. Can you post a photo?

Mark

mattrhogan wrote:
Hi,
I'm just starting to do some of my own work on my Van and had to replace the alternator. I got a "Worldwide 90 amp" alternator from advance auto and put it in. The battery is charged and the car starts but the OSX light and battery light go on. From other posts it makes me think the battery isn't getting charged and I'm thinking it's because the blue wire is properly grounded. the alternator has a plastic piece sticking out where the blue wire goes and it has what looks like a copper slip piece that the blue wire goes over, but the plastic piece is very loose. How do I figure out what is going on and if in fact the battery is not charging? Remember, I'm pretty new to this.
Thanks
mattrhogan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't post a pic till later but here is the link to the part:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores...19084____#

Is this one just laid out differently than the original because on the original the blue wire wasn't connected next to the red one.
thanks
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That part you show has the details needed. The blue wire must plug next to the big wires. That photo shows a spade there in the wiring area protected by the black insulator. All of the wires in a gas model go to those 2 spots protected by the black part.

That photo shows a white/clear plastic covered male spade sticking out a ways elsewhere. DON'T put the blue wire there. Nothing plugs there in gas vans.

Mark

mattrhogan wrote:
I can't post a pic till later but here is the link to the part:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores...19084____#

Is this one just laid out differently than the original because on the original the blue wire wasn't connected next to the red one.
thanks
mattrhogan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did it, thanks Mark!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: