Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help Tuning Bug spray
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Help Tuning Bug spray Reply with quote

Hello,
I need the gurus help for tuning Bug Spray (Holley 2100)
Manual and exploding view will be granted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help Tuning Bug spray Reply with quote

when i ran them 40 years ago they never realy ran that great but they got the job done lol a bug spray does not like a lot of fuel pressure 1lbs is all bug spray can take any more fuel pressure makes the bug spray run to rich allso lower the float . i cant remmber how much i lower the float i think it was 5/16 or a 9/16 float drop i used a drill bit under the float as a gage . bug spray carbs do not run well on a open plenum manifold.. allso a 200cfm bug spray is used on 1600cc to 1800cc motors the 300cfm bug spray carb is used on a 1800cc motor to 2300cc motors if you try to use a 300cfm bug spray on a 1600cc motor it will never run right allso bug sray carb run rich and eat spark plugs a lot i ran a mallory dizy set at 32 degs total and 14 degs intl. that helped burn the rich mixter allso use a header your better off useing a newer carb like a weber or dual solex carbs good luck spencerfvee lo will help
pharos wrote:
Hello,

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine ran great,dont remember the jetting, but yours would be different any way.just tune it to what the motor needs,it's just like any other carb just looks different, and the air bleeds are not replaceable.kits are still available.pump shot is adjustable.no power valve but it can be added.I ran mine about 3 years before going to 44 idf's .I liked them but not enough cfm.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with any center mount carb application, the more heat you can get to the manifold the better (even in Egypt). This will help keep the fuel in suspension and make any tuning changes you do more consistant.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I would do is take it apart and give it a good cleaning and blow out all the passages with compressed air and put a kit in it. You can tell what size it is by looking at the ventures, the 200cfm model had 15/16" [23.7mm]vents and the 300 had 1 5/32" [29mm] If I remember right. Rebuild kit were a little hard to get but thanks to the "Hot Rod" guy's kits for the old Holley 94 are getting easier to find and they will work with the Bugspray. Speedway motors has them listed in there catalog...
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Holley-94-Carburetor-Rebuild-Kit,1651.html
Jets are very cheap for them as well. Hope this helps.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Tucker should be along any time and has some real world experience with the Bugspray. He had his running like a top. Never worked on one but my impression is it is old school classic Holley tuning....I think without a power valve...which makes rich on cruise. Mark pretty much had these babies down to a science though. Mark?

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
tardis454
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help Tuning Bug spray Reply with quote

pharos wrote:
Hello,

Someone is using my pic for an example... Cool! Very Happy

You tune a Holley just like any other carb..
Just turn the screws all the way in & back them out a 1/4 turn at a time til the idle smooths out...
volkenstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pharos,
http://www.walkerproducts.com/_pdf/consolidated/carburetor_component_catalog.pdf . Once you've downloaded the 10mb, first search on Holley, then again on 2110. Exploded diagram followed by part No's etc.

Enjoy
Volkenstein
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
evilphoton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just happened to come across this thread...

I have a 2100 that has the float bowl marked as a 200 cfm, 6244. the passages and airflow things in the venturis that are from the bug spray version, not the earlier flathead one.

just put a kit in it today. for whoever may be interested, there is a seller on eBay who has kits, complete and very good quality. if you're going through one there are three ports upstream of the idle screws in the cast iron piece. I cleaned them out with a stripped bread twist wire. rust will completely hide them.

my plan is to put this on a 1600 that I'm getting together. stock cam, 4:1, ratio rockers and this carb.

Bill Fisher's hot rod rod book praises these carbs so I want to try one. they are tough to get information on and there is a lot of confusion about what they are. not helping is Holley's numbering system where the old truck carb with nothing physically in common with this, shares the same 2100 number.

VW 028 DVDA, stock 1600 DP
'00 VFR
'01 Blazer
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the 300's they ran great.just not big enough for a big motor.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 200 is what i have, orig bug spray set up for a bug eng. Ran it orig on a '57 with '66 eng/trans anf VW's oo9 also a 010. Later it went on a 1641 in a '70 bus, same dizzy and a header,both uses it ran very well and in the bus got better mpg's on the road and the extra zip when needed. Have a broken in eng going into a '73 super for a driver and plan to put it all back into use, only adj is seasonal change from cold to hot required a choke tweek. I ran stock fuel pumps and none were a problem with over pressure either. Fuel plunger that squirts out may have a problem with ethenol, maybe new kits are better, the cupped part will stiffen up and not pump and u get the flat spot when gas pedal pressed down fast.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all mine had the leather plunger,I did use a "green" seal from a Q jet on the acc pump rod so it would not drip fuel.I also raised the float level so the acc pump cavity would fill better as it dosent have a fill valve, just overflow into it. also one of my carbs had a effed up booster vent from the factory,it gave me headaches finding it.
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very old copy of Gene Berg's Book of Instructions that has some excellent info on setting up a Bugspray.
Perhaps if you placed an order and asked them nicely, they would forward a copy to you.
Even if you disagree with his views on compression ratios, he knew his stuff and had great tips on the care and feeding of VWs.
luvthemvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very old copy of Gene Berg's Book of Instructions that has some excellent info on setting up a Bugspray.
Perhaps if you placed an order and asked them nicely, they would forward a copy to you.
Even if you disagree with his views on compression ratios, he knew his stuff and had great tips on the care and feeding of VWs.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Has been over 40 yrs since I last worked on a Holly 300 feeding a 40HP with a 83mm Big Bore.

Found out then that a Split Plenium manifold did the trick for adjusting the Carb....piece of cake then.
Vito85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too, I have a 2100 holley carburator on my 1970 bug type 1, Im not an expert on this stuff,

mine is working fine, but I want service it before something happen, I need to get the kit, but I do not have the manual and I not sure I can undertand the manual either.... lol

can someone explain me... something like bug spay 101 lesson, I learn fast but I need a start point, I do not want just take it a part and put it back together and discover that not run anymore , I hope this make sense

Sincerely
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: