Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transaxle side plate gasket...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: transaxle side plate gasket... Reply with quote

Ok so I figured if I remove my motor I would solve my tranny oil leak. seems to me the paper gasket is not doing its job. I used some silicone but that didnt help. any suggestions on how to reseal the side plates?

thanks
Sixty7X
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the boots ripped? how tight are you tightening the nuts down? If you over tighten them I would think you could warp the sideplate causing a leak. I've never experienced this, not have I worked on them alot, just throwing ideas out there for you.

Ron
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no leaks from the boots. the leak is from the bottom of the sidecover. Ithink it has 6 nuts holding it. I had paper gaskets. I dont know how many I used because it was like 2 years ago. the tranny was a rebuilt swingaxle 4:12 final ratio.

all I know it leaks...
Sixty7X
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be alittle weary of just putting all types of sealers between the plate and tranny. They are not only gaskets, but shims for the tolerance between axle tube and plastic disc. The axle tube should be able to move freely with minimal to no endplay(in/out). Or so, that's what I gather in my effort to search for my own transaxle answers.
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there - Done that . . . just clean everything thoroughly - I mean leave no surface unscoured - and I used a very thin film of hi temp copper silicone on every surface. Another problem is not torquing them evenly. I think they go to 14 ft/lbs.

. . . I got 99 problems and my bus ain't one . . .

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, did you use the cheapo paper gaskets? and did you let the silicon sit to get a little hard before you mounted the plate to the case?
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the thin red colored paper gaskets that come in almost all kits I have seen. I basically coated the tranny side and bell surface, then placed a small amount of silicone between my fingers and thinly pasted each gasket by pulling them one at a time through my fingers - stretching the silicone as far as I could - just enough to whet the paper. I assembled immediately after, so no - I did not allow it to set up. Been over 2 months and there is NO seepage at all.

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks greg...how many paper gaskets did you use?

sorry for the many questions...I dont wanna do this twice..
gerg
a.k.a. 6volt65

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tested with NO gaskets to see how the axle tube would bind, and then I added one at a time till there was no drag when I moved the tube. I wound up with 2 gaskets on each side. They double as spacers so each tranny / axle tube combo could potentially be different.

'65 Sunroof Beetle
'65 Vert
'60 Singlecab
PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will also depend on what type of retaining plates you have. This plate was modified during the 1967 model year. The newer plates incorporate a rubber O-ring to make the actual seal. The paper gaskets were then replaced by hard paper shims. So, you need to know what kind of retaining plate you have first, before you attempt to repair the problem, especially since the later plate can be fitted to earlier transmissions.

The easiest way to know what you have, is to look at the area of the plate between the axle boot and the six retaining nuts. If you see a lip joint and a series of spot welds (look like punches), then you have the later plate. If you just see smooth metal, you have the earlier plate which uses the regular paper gaskets shims to seal it.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys!
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok wait a minute. One minute you are talking about a leak at the side covers and the next minute you're talking about a leak at the axle tube retaining plates. Where is the leak?

The correct sealant to use in both locations is Gasgacinch. The side cover gasket is either paper thin or an O-ring, depending on the year of trans you have. You don't want to add a layer of any sort of thick goo there, as the side cover affects the tolerance of the differential gear inside.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im talking about the side cover and paper gaskets. mine is a 63 swingaxle.

only one side is leaking. I'll try gasgasinch..what stores sells this stuff? autozone maybe?
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also replaced the gaskets on one side of my 65's swingaxle (Greg remembers that thread, I'm sure) and I followed the instructions in both the VW shop manual and in Haynes, and neither one spoke of using sealant so I didn't either, and so far I haven't had any leaks. But I think Greg is right, the torque on those nuts is critical, and it can't be too much.
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do the 14lbs.

thanks guys!

since my cars finally complete I can focus on the motor and fixing my tranny leak.
PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no sealant required at the retaining plate. However, the older type become distorted arount the bolt holes, using sealant may be the only course of action. In these cases, the retaining plate should be replaced, but that is not an easy job for most. Later plates should not leak, weather distorted or not.
kavikhahn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used some of the axle tube retainer strengthening plates available from various suppliers to cure the lead I had at the axle tube plate. Mine are made by Bugpack. The studs they sent were so weak, they stretched at about 12 ft/lbs, but after I replaced them, worked fine, no leaks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: