Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Megajolt ignition curve map
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dihorul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Megajolt ignition curve map Reply with quote

Hello
I`m new here and I have an problem finding the best advace curve for my 1302 Beetle.
My car has an Megajolt ignition witch works well.... but
I do not drive that often my Beetle 1302 `70. most of the time my bug is in the garage in Buchareste - Romenia.
Last trip i made was an mountain road +/- 280 km distance
On plain road i have no problems, but on hill side my engine overheated (130 C )and the advance started to make the specific noise as it was set up to high.
Lucky me, I had my computer with me. I try to adjust the advance curve various times. This is the best i get from my configuration. Is not perfect, i think it still needs more adjustments, it was not 100%.
My engine is an 1600 cc, Engle 110 camshaft with 040 cylinder heads twin Solex simple carburetors.

If any of you have an idea about the "ideal" tun up for my ignition....
Thanks!

PS. I cannot upload the ignition curve map. I will use an link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSEZYmLtngIDihorul
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dihorul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MinamiKotaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your advance should be all in by 2500-3000.

You can carefully play with added advance at higher vacuum to get some extra economy and cruising power.
Check out my ongoing story.
dihorul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinamiKotaro wrote:
Your advance should be all in by 2500-3000.

You can carefully play with added advance at higher vacuum to get some extra economy and cruising power.

Thanks.
I saw your project... Is great!
Big upgrade for an Bug!
I did not quite understand what you mean... My English is not that good.
I look for an ideal tun up for my Megajolt ignition.
Mooosman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your maximum advance should be reached at about 2500 rpm. I would just adjust the tables to something like this to start with:

800rpm-->1200rpm: 10 BTDC
1200-->1800: 18 BTDC
1800-->2500: 25 BTDC
2500rpm +: 30 BTDC

Once you get it running with this map, you can adjust your vacuum advance curve. The column on the left side of the Megajolt screen is the load graph, which goes from 10% to 100%. You can put more advance into the 10% and 20% boxes to simulate the vacuum advance curve on a standard distributor. I don't think you'll need to add more than an additional 6 or 7 degrees, though.

Hope this helps

Nick
dihorul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I will try this next weekend.
I will heat-up the engine by making donuts Very Happy and see if it works well.
The only problem i had was the engine temperature growing fast.
The rest is fine, much better than running on classic or electronic distributor; the rotation of the engine is more linear and it feels like is "birding pure oxygen" in an cold day.
I recommend the Megajolt ignition.
candymustang65
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand ?
You have dual Kadron Solex carb's ?
But you have a Vaccum advance Distributor ?
Were the carb's signal ported for the Vaccum advance ?
Or are you actually running a 009 Distributor wich is mechanically advanc'ed .
Look at distributor numbers and post them .
Mega tron Elect. Ign << Never heard of it but it has nothing to do with your curve .
Im highly suspect your runnin the 009 distributor due to the fact that the only people I know of Signal porting the Dual Kadron's for a Vaccum advance type distributor is LOw Bugget .
Few other folk's doing it ?
But Main stream it hasnt actually caught on yett as the norm .
009 Times a 10 Degrees BTDC < Mean's theres a 1 -5 chance that the time-ing mark's on your stock OEM pulley are wrong .
Stroboscopic Time -ing light and a degree pulley you would time a 009 at 28-32 Degrees total advance at 3400 R.P.M.
Post the Distributor numbers .
Now Romania ?
I picture Vlad Draculas Castle's and Gypsy's , and big Beautifull Orthodox Churche's ?
Carpathian Mountain range ?
Im in the USA West Coast of California .
Would love to Tour Romania in a Bugg .
About all I know of it is Vlad's History the Order of the Dragon .
But everyday life in Romania this would be different .
Any chance you can post Pic's of the car/ engine and Romania ?
Sean
gimpy60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candy, I don't think he has a dist. he has a crank trigger fully mappable ecu. thats in plain english....... Wink
MinamiKotaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candymustang65 wrote:

Mega tron Elect. Ign << Never heard of it but it has nothing to do with your curve .

It has a whole lot to do with his advance curve. In fact, it has everything to do with his advance curve. Wink

If you don't even know what something is, you shouldn't be giving advice about it.

Dihorul, another thing you need to do is buy or rent a wideband O2 meter and check your air-fuel ratios. A search of thesamba for "wideband O2" will return a few threads telling you what you need to aim for as far as air-fuel ratio.

As for your overheating problem, make sure nothing is clogging your fan, make sure you have all cooling tins installed. If it is your oil that is getting too hot, you can remove your oil cooler and clean out the cooling fins with a high-pressure washer.
Check out my ongoing story.
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini and moose are on top of it. You need a good MAP signal then you need to see where your cruising vacuum is at. Cam, intake, and exhaust all change the vacuum curve of an engine. Once you know where your vacuum curve is for regular cruising then you want play with that till you find a good advance. I don't subscribe to the all in at 2500, i'll run a bit more timing at the low load cruise vacuum/rpm and taper it down from there to WOT throttle/low vacuum. You can get pinging from too little advance too. Mini is right, you should be using a wideband as well to insure your not just running lean.

a couple of days ago I swapped my Ljet fuel injection out for some individual throttle bodies. With the Ljet and a plenum I cruised at around 40-50 KPa at 4100rpm, I had 38 deg of advance and my head temps were only 270F with 145F IAT's (it was over 100F outside) and I was cruising over 70 mph. WOT/low vac I ran 34deg timing. It ran like a raped ape, and knocking/pinging. I'm still playing around with the fueling on the ITB's so I pulled my timing a bit till I got a good understanding of what the engine wants now, but ITBs are a lot like dual carbs since they both have really weak vacuum signals. I did away with my speed density(map based) tune and i'm only using the throttle position sensor and rpms for reference now.

you got some work ahead of you to find out what your engine wants.

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Blog of Doom http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
dihorul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the ignition I have, no distributor...
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MegaJolt_Lite_Jr._-_A...s_Welcome!

Now about my country:
Romenia is more than Dracula, actually "Dracula" does not exist in romanian folklore, we have other "supra-natural" characters, but the story is long...
Dracula only exist in Hollywood...
For ex. The Bran castle which is better know as Dracula castle is in fact for sale, never belong to Vlad Tepes (the character which inspired Dracula story), he actually spend only one night in that castle.
Vlad has another castle (Prejmer castle), but is situated in the top of an very inaccessible mountain, making hard for tourist to get there... By the way, Prejmer castle is situated on Transfagarasan road; the best road in the world according to Top Gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVa7ITLQAPU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLAtcrB0GZg&feature=related

Just want to clear the things up a bit. We wait for you candymustang65!

Thanks all for your help!

PS
some pictures of my dear Bug
http://www.aircooled.ro/fol474739/events-2010/bbm-2010-2-4-iulie/Dan_Blanaru_MG_4801.jpg
http://www.aircooled.ro/fol474739/events-2010/bbm-2010-2-4-iulie/Dan_Blanaru_MG_4851.jpg
http://www.aircooled.ro/fol474739/events-2010/bbm-2010-2-4-iulie/VST_6032.jpg[/img]
daflee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Megajolt ignition curve map Reply with quote

dihorul wrote:
Beetle 1302 `70.
i must be the only one bothered by this. Mad

i wish i could run megajolt.. i did a lot of research on it when i was dreaming about going turbo.
(sorry for a completely useless post) Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dihorul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinamiKotaro wrote:
candymustang65 wrote:

It has a whole lot to do with his advance curve. In fact, it has everything to do with his advance curve. Wink

If you don't even know what something is, you shouldn't be giving advice about it.

Dihorul, another thing you need to do is buy or rent a wideband O2 meter and check your air-fuel ratios. A search of thesamba for "wideband O2" will return a few threads telling you what you need to aim for as far as air-fuel ratio.

As for your overheating problem, make sure nothing is clogging your fan, make sure you have all cooling tins installed. If it is your oil that is getting too hot, you can remove your oil cooler and clean out the cooling fins with a high-pressure washer.

I will ask my friend who has an VAG official workshop to help me. He has tools Very Happy
He build there my engine, is all brand new - including the oil radiator; only 1500 miles done by now.
I add on the Megajolt ignition after rebuild.
This is an great project from Romenia:
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/xellex_ano...CF5481.jpg
Mooosman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candymustang65 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Wow. How do you know what this ignition system does (or how it works) if you've never even heard of it?

Megajolt uses a crank trigger, an ignition module, a control box, and a coil pack. No distributor is used. The system must be completely tuned by the user via laptop.

Maybe you should read up on what he's using and what his problem is before you give advice.

Nick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: