Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

repair of sliding door track
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: repair of sliding door track Reply with quote

Has anyone done a satisfactory repair of the sliding door track? Is there any source for the parts? I don't really want to put the whole factory part in, just the rusty track and outer rocker. The rocker part from Bus Depot didn't fit at all!
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AL
Which track?...I assume the lower one, right
Do you have bad rust, holes?...or is it just pitted?
On my 2wd the door was loud and growlie, so I wire brushed and sanded the heck out of it....the applied a good coat or 2 of marine grade epoxy
I was so impressed with how quiet the slider was after that, that I decided to go further...I stripped down the lower roller and lubed and polished it ..then just as an experiment I put down a strip of 2" wide 6mill HDPE tape(the type used for wrapping connections in underground pipe joint.
Man that door is so quiet and smooth now...it still amazes me Shocked
ps:the tape has held up for 2months now, and looks unworn
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metal is completely rusted/ worn thru in places. I need to make a patch and fasten it in somehow, then put on a new outer rocker. I was hoping someone made a repair part. GERSON??
time to start with T3 parts?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
... On my 2wd the door was loud and growlie, so I wire brushed and sanded the heck out of it....the applied a good coat or 2 of marine grade epoxy... stripped down the lower roller and lubed and polished it ... put down a strip of 2" wide 6mill HDPE tape... that door is so quiet and smooth now...it still amazes me :shock:
ps:the tape has held up for 2months now, and looks unworn

I'd don't mean to hijack this thread but I know I'm not the only one in the forum with an embarrassing loud sliding door... I hate having to open and close it late nights in a campground.

I think your above repair would make a great thread (perhaps a sticky???), complete with pictures, of the complete process.

... sounds like I have a new item for my "Westy To-Do" list
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
The metal is completely rusted/ worn thru in places. I need to make a patch and fasten it in somehow, then put on a new outer rocker. I was hoping someone made a repair part. GERSON??
time to start with T3 parts?
Al

Pick and pull and a battery operated sawsall....or maybe someone nearby has a parts van you can attack , and have it welded in?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

82WestyMan wrote:

I'd don't mean to hijack this thread but I know I'm not the only one in the forum with an embarrassing loud sliding door... I hate having to open and close it late nights in a campground.

I think your above repair would make a great thread (perhaps a sticky???), complete with pictures, of the complete process.

... sounds like I have a new item for my "Westy To-Do" list

It's on my lengthy to-do list, for sure. This thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=381226 doesn't have photos, but it does have a decent description and the OP used UHMW tape (same basic stuff??).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought passenger and drivers entire rockers for $200/side, cut out for me by a local shop. Lots of junkyards would do the same thing, just show them what you want. Last post of this thread
I will have some more pics in the coming days. Slider track is marginally bad, but, I did not want to do the other repairs without also repairing the slider track. It is/was extremely crusty and sure to be an issue in the near future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: