Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sad news... Peek Performance shop
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
20aegti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove by again the other day and still sad to to a sign saying space for lease.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad news... Peek Performance shop Reply with quote

hi every one today i posted on this forum about a other vw shop store closeing pele bug of hawaii . thats been around for years they even ran a bad vw gaser named pele bug . i was raised in hawaii and liked reading about the pele bug gasser . spencerfvee
MK1971 wrote:
Stopped by Peek Performance today and I was told that they will be closing their store at the end of June. I'm not sure if this has been posted already but it was news to me. Sean and Dave have always been very helpful. I will miss having them close by. I'm not sure if they have any plans for future machine work etc?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Santa Cruz, there are only two shops that will touch yor ACVW;
LaVere's and Old Volks.
Old Volks is all about stockers still surviving,
And Gary LaVere doesn't even have a lift.
(WARRIOR!)
Even Volks Cafe don't even do aircooleds any more.
They were king shit back in the day..
There used to be over a dozen, now two, both soon to go.
Santa Cruz used to have a Bugformance, even!

Now, in the valley, the OG Bugformance, in Sunnyvale, started by Bill Brister, Winner of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, is gone.
So is Volks Authority, Donsco, and I'm sure several more.
This being the Nor Cal Bay Area, part of where it all started....

Pretty soon there will be none.
These cars will be all in garages and/or museums.
Nobody who really knows how to do the work will be able to make a living at it.
We will all be required to drive our disposable 'transportation appliances' as dictated by the government.

Oh, it's a Grave New World coming.
May as well get on meth and start collecting those SSI checks....

What’s That Noise?!?
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad news... Peek Performance shop Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
hi every one today i posted on this forum about a other vw shop store closeing pele bug of hawaii . thats been around for years they even ran a bad vw gaser named pele bug . i was raised in hawaii and liked reading about the pele bug gasser . spencerfvee

Wow! Pele Bug is history. Isn't that where Mark Deacon and the Red Rider turbo Ghia came from?
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sad news... Peek Performance shop Reply with quote

i remmber the red rider i think your right it was a pele bug built car god that was a long time ago lol your old too to this day there are some very fast vws in hawaii and there down to one race track i think its on the big island of hawaii . we are lucky here in ohio we have 14 drag strips in ohio . if your on oahu you have to ship your race over to the big island that must suck big time .and cost a lot of money .just to race pele bug shop will be missed thats for sure its a sign of times spencerfvee
DarthWeber wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:

Wow! Pele Bug is history. Isn't that where Mark Deacon and the Red Rider turbo Ghia came from?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Speaking generally the VW air cooled business is dropping off rapidly.

I sold my engine building business to a son and retired for three yrs. Got bored and returned to a engine rebuilding and parts house operation.

This was in the mid 1980's while many parts used and New were still available. Did this for 9 yrs and during that time saw the supply of good used engine cases (rebuildable) diminish. NO shop wants a comeback on their engine or that of a customers that was rebuilt. Metal fatigue of a large factor was the downfall as seen via the complaints here on Samba of rebuilt engines from reputable builders. WE/I were only able to work with whatever we had on hand or given to us.

Supply of QUALITY new parts from other countries is another thing. Clones legal or not quality wise are a ripoff to consumers.

When in business I had the choice of what parts to buy for resale. Some items I knew were of poor quality and as such would not sell over the counter or install in any of my engines. As a result did lose some sales due to the quality/price factor. My name and rep was more important then any profit made.

All that aside...there are the fees involved to open a business....hazard being one of them.

Different states will have their own requirements. Ask a closing VW business for an honest answer to their closing today...chances are they will all say the same thing....supply and demand.

Could go on but you get the picture I hope.

Steve (VW mechanic/engine builder/business owner of 28 yrs)
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your so right . i just retired from a vw shop here in ohio. for years i have tried to tell guys not to use . 40 year old engine cases there worn out . you would not belive what kind of engine cases guys brought in to the shop . with water running out of the case and full of dirt .asking me to rebuild it . i just dont understand the way people think now adays they will bring in a 40 year old case have everything done to the case for a 82 by 94 motor when i try to talk them into a brand new case they go i dont have the money for a new case yet they will buy new cranks new rods and $800.00 heads and new every thing else . they put it together and run it for two weeks then they take out the soft lifer bores . or beat out the number two main bearing they tear it down then bring the case back and say why did this happen . the only thing that keeps the vw store here in ohio running is that from 85% to 90% of the bussnes is off the road dune buggies .they seem to have the money and the other 10% is vw bugs .so i understand what you say about used engine cases . spencerfvee
HRVW wrote:
Sad Speaking generally the VW air cooled business is dropping off rapidly.

I sold my engine building business to a son and retired for three yrs. Got bored and returned to a engine rebuilding and parts house operation.

This was in the mid 1980's while many parts used and New were still available. Did this for 9 yrs and during that time saw the supply of good used engine cases (rebuildable) diminish. NO shop wants a comeback on their engine or that of a customers that was rebuilt. Metal fatigue of a large factor was the downfall as seen via the complaints here on Samba of rebuilt engines from reputable builders. WE/I were only able to work with whatever we had on hand or given to us.

Supply of QUALITY new parts from other countries is another thing. Clones legal or not quality wise are a ripoff to consumers.

When in business I had the choice of what parts to buy for resale. Some items I knew were of poor quality and as such would not sell over the counter or install in any of my engines. As a result did lose some sales due to the quality/price factor. My name and rep was more important then any profit made.

All that aside...there are the fees involved to open a business....hazard being one of them.

Different states will have their own requirements. Ask a closing VW business for an honest answer to their closing today...chances are they will all say the same thing....supply and demand.

Could go on but you get the picture I hope.

Steve (VW mechanic/engine builder/business owner of 28 yrs)
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
LaVere's and Old Volks.
(WARRIOR!)

Now, in the valley, the OG Bugformance, in Sunnyvale, started by Bill Brister, Winner of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, is gone.

We will all be required to drive our disposable 'transportation appliances' as dictated by the government.

X2....California is a very unfriendly place to own a business of any kind. I shut my VW shop in 1999 and went to internet only for parts sales, less hassles with the state, county, and city.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats whats wrong with the USA to many laws to many rules . the USA was built on small business .the states dont get it they pass BS laws .and dont care how many busines they close then they cry about no money . da small busines pay taxes. theres fools running these states . it was every ones dream to own there own business if they wanted to . for the past 20 years the USA has gone down hill every one wanted easy money and they took it . and did not care who they hurt . look what a mess we have today lol and i know a lot of guys have used ebay and the samba to make a little money . now adays its hard to sell and make money on ebay and the samba . every one i know is saving what money the do have . i go to vw shows and no one buying much of any thing and if there buying they dont want to pay much for any thing . even at other show none vw same thing no one buying much great deals out there spencerfvee
Mr. Motorhead wrote:
Clatter wrote:
LaVere's and Old Volks.
(WARRIOR!)

X2....California is a very unfriendly place to own a business of any kind. I shut my VW shop in 1999 and went to internet only for parts sales, less hassles with the state, county, and city.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get off topic, but this goes with what is stated above. What happened is why we are all screwed up is jobs and products going over see.. We all know this.... Thing is this, what made it legal, it is called N.A.F.T.A. that was passed back in like 1993 or so.. Point is, the Politicians sold the U.S. out legally, products, jobs, and patents.... Then what is screwed up, is like last year or the year before they reinstated N.A.F.T.A. when it expired, nice job U.S. Politicians............................................... Whats wrong today you wonder in and with the U.S. in the world...... RB
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on rail boy . we sold the USA TO CHINA your not off topic at all what you said is why vw stores are closeing . i even buy china made parts . every one buys things made in china .thank god my mofoco heads are made in the USA. i hope they dont close there store . what are we going to do . its a mess . i guess i could blame it on wallmart lol or EMPI lol every one else does lol . its real sad that the vw stores are closeing all over . i guess we will be like the flat head ford guys . they used to say flat heads forever lol i guess i will be saying air cooled vws forever spencerfvee...................
RailBoy wrote:
Not to get off topic, but this goes with what is stated above. What happened is why we are all screwed up is jobs and products going over see.. We all know this.... Thing is this, what made it legal, it is called N.A.F.T.A. that was passed back in like 1993 or so.. Point is, the Politicians sold the U.S. out legally, products, jobs, and patents.... Then what is screwed up, is like last year or the year before they reinstated N.A.F.T.A. when it expired, nice job U.S. Politicians............................................... Whats wrong today you wonder in and with the U.S. in the world...... RB
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to keep buying from China as WE OWE too much money to China.

And it is not jobs going overseas. If the damn gov't allow companies to keep more of their profits, THEY WILL STOP SENDING JOBS OVERSEAS.

Why would you bother putting up a business here and keep jobs here and make no money? Businesses as any other business are out to make profit...not to keep Americans employed. If you have to make money to make your mortgage or rent or utilities, or keep your business alive or livelihood....going to the Chinese for cheaper labor might save your ass.

I do NOT even do that much overtime anymore as the Democrats take MORE as you try to make more. ASSHOLES! What is the point??

Do overtime so you can feed all these lazy, unemployed, pests of society. If everyone will get up from their asses and do an honest day's work, we will not have to rearrange our tax laws too much to "redistribute the wealth". And the DemOcrats think that $200,000 income is rich. If you have a house mortgage and 2 ro 3 kids in college, and you gotta pay cars and health insurances....YOU ARE FREAKING BROKE!

People on welfare are fatter than I am. Eat better than I do. And I HAVE held a job since I was 16 years old. Where is the justice? Don't even get me started.... Laughing
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep the rant going, is that N.A.F.T.A.(North Amercian Free Trade Agreement) legally allowed U.S. Owned and Operated Companies to expand over sees and to countries like Mexico.. Hince, when Chrysler/Dodge Went to Mexico to make there Trucks.

We did see a down slide in manufacturing in the Dodge Trucks, and Point is being made there, or assembled or what ever, Real Law Biding U.S. Citezens gave up on buying the Dodge/Chrysler Name, True U.S. FUndamental Buying people do not buy car over sees... I know lots of them, don't blame them for there money going into those cars does not back the U.S., Emplyment, HEalth Care, ect.....

But put it this way and if I remember my law right this is the truth of what Happened back in 1993 or when ever when they passed N.A.F.T.A. originally in Congress..

It lifted U.S. imposed laws that forbid U.S. Companies from going over sees, technology, ect... So, what happened after N.A.F.T.A. was inacted and allowed to occur and what is going on, Companies like Apple are allowed to be Designed in the U.S. but Made and Assembled in China.. So, were did those and how did those High Tech Jobs End Up there, N.A.F.T.A. from back in 1993....... So, even today, N.A.F.T.A. Still allows this to go on. And Who Passed N.A.F.T.A., Congress.......

Now we are fealing the reprocussions, thing is this, when they sold us out back in 93, that was even including Patents, Philosophies, Economic Stratagies, Bsuinesss Stratagies, U.S. G.N.P, and the list goes on.........

Wonder who let this happen, we all know, they are in there high chairs now collecting checks as we work with our hands and back, they use a pencil and dictate world politics, wonder what is going on with our deficit and were does our interest go and fills who's pockets, and the thing is we even give them Aid and Military Support. It is just not China who gets our money, its lots of countries, remember, the Treasury Dept. has been around for centuries now, wonder who backed us in the beginning, and we are still paying them off as well, China is just a new Investor we are paying now, with the others.......

N.A.F.T.A., wonder were that came from and why, if we did not inact that Law allowing Action, we be making a lot more money here at home, who said we had to help the world grow economically, that was the whole idea of N.A.F.T.A. to be inacted, to stimulate other countries economies at the cost of our own...... And that is why we are today, a congressional passing of a bill from 1992/93 called the N.A.F.T.A. Act. RB B. of S. of Economics..... 1994
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your so so right. it was a very bad deal. N.A.F.T.A has been a joke on the USA working man . i blame all the jerks in washington i dont care whos in the white house . i dont care what party your for they all suck. there all fools . we could put a dog in the white house under the dog party. and still get nothing done . you know what rail boy. i just dont care any more lol theres nothing any one can do to stop the fools in washington . the past week i could not belive what a joke they are they were like a bunch of 7th graders . fighting over who would be king of the hill . no wonder nothing gets done in washington . there all little kids . i feal if we keep on they way we are . the USA worker will be no more . and then who will buy the china goods .there people that think the american worker should work for $3.00 a hour . i can tell you i meet a lot of people that work two jobs just to get by . yes there are people on wellfair . allways have been . but theres a lot more people who are out there busting there ass working . and are not on well fair . theres nothing wrong with american workers. i get tired of people saying american workers are lazy and dont want to work .its just the jerks that move there plants to china like Timkin bearing . that are hurting america and they dont care . i say to them if you like china that much move there . lol i have been to china . its a bigger mess than the USA . its home to slave labor . nothing more . very sad to see how people live in china take care rail boy nothing you or me can do about it i am not even going to vot this year unless a dog runs for the white house lol spencerfvee thank Mexico.. Hince, when Chrysler/Dodge Went to Mexico to make there Trucks.

We did see a down slide in manufacturing in the Dodge Trucks, and Point is being made there, or assembled or what ever, Real Law Biding U.S. Citezens gave up on buying the Dodge/Chrysler Name, True U.S. FUndamental Buying people do not buy car over sees... I know lots of them, don't blame them for there money going into those cars does not back the U.S., Emplyment, HEalth Care, ect.....

But put it this way and if I remember my law right this is the truth of what Happened back in 1993 or when ever when they passed N.A.F.T.A. originally in Congress..

It lifted U.S. imposed laws that forbid U.S. Companies from going over sees, technology, ect... So, what happened after N.A.F.T.A. was inacted and allowed to occur and what is going on, Companies like Apple are allowed to be Designed in the U.S. but Made and Assembled in China.. So, were did those and how did those High Tech Jobs End Up there, N.A.F.T.A. from back in 1993....... So, even today, N.A.F.T.A. Still allows this to go on. And Who Passed N.A.F.T.A., Congress.......

Now we are fealing the reprocussions, thing is this, when they sold us out back in 93, that was even including Patents, Philosophies, Economic Stratagies, Bsuinesss Stratagies, U.S. G.N.P, and the list goes on.........

Wonder who let this happen, we all know, they are in there high chairs now collecting checks as we work with our hands and back, they use a pencil and dictate world politics, wonder what is going on with our deficit and were does our interest go and fills who's pockets, and the thing is we even give them Aid and Military Support. It is just not China who gets our money, its lots of countries, remember, the Treasury Dept. has been around for centuries now, wonder who backed us in the beginning, and we are still paying them off as well, China is just a new Investor we are paying now, with the others.......

N.A.F.T.A., wonder were that came from and why, if we did not inact that Law allowing Action, we be making a lot more money here at home, who said we had to help the world grow economically, that was the whole idea of N.A.F.T.A. to be inacted, to stimulate other countries economies at the cost of our own...... And that is why we are today, a congressional passing of a bill from 1992/93 called the N.A.F.T.A. Act. RB B. of S. of Economics..... 1994[/quote]
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
right on rail boy . we sold the USA TO CHINA your not off topic at all what you said is why vw stores are closeing . i even buy china made parts . every one buys things made in china .thank god my mofoco heads are made in the USA. i hope they dont close there store . what are we going to do . its a mess . i guess i could blame it on wallmart lol or EMPI lol every one else does lol . its real sad that the vw stores are closeing all over . i guess we will be like the flat head ford guys . they used to say flat heads forever lol i guess i will be saying air cooled vws forever spencerfvee...................
RailBoy wrote:

Don't worry....I'm only 34 years old and plan on doing this the rest of my life
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you are younger than me,lol. I am just trying to find a nitch that I like and can make an honest buck at, thing is having to subsideds that company with a second job........

As for cars, you can say I have been into them as long as I have had my Rail, built that back in 1986, so yea, kinda a thing with me, just wish I could make an honest buck at them is all while not killing myself...

Cool thing you have going, looked into your stuff lots of times, just have to do an engine build is all... Keep up the good work, hope you get to stick with it... RB
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats great to hear roy that your going to be around .. love your 042 heads.when i worked at L.A. your heads were the best selling heads we sold .at the store . i have used them over the years on a lot of my motors right now i am . working on a set of your 042 heads for my street motor i am porting them . the best thing about your 042 heads is that a lot of the porting is cast into the head saves me a lot of time when i am porting your heads . i wish you would do a all out street and drag strip head with more port work cast in to the head . and sell them at a fair price it would give the CNC porting guys a run if you did . i dont think they would like it lol spencerfvee
[email protected] wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
RailBoy wrote:

Don't worry....I'm only 34 years old and plan on doing this the rest of my life
mtwrench540
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: peek Reply with quote

knew them when pete,jimmy sartwell,sean and dave were all there.who is going to fly cut my heads??i will track you guys down!!!! dave griffin
87 wolfsberg,74 181w/1915 and lots of patina! learned to fix vw's from hot vw mag in 1964,VWOA instructor,DSM,69 to73,service mgr at different porsche-audi dealers etc,etc,now retired!!! first vw new 64,transplanted 356 eng in 65,400characters are not enough space!!
insomniac269
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: peek Reply with quote

mtwrench540 wrote:
knew them when pete,jimmy sartwell,sean and dave were all there.who is going to fly cut my heads??i will track you guys down!!!! dave griffin

Dave, Sean is still doing machine work out of his garage in Centreville, Md. You can reach him through his louver company, Dowco Enterprise.

Dave
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where the US economy will have to start all over from, from enthusiast ( small business ) garages.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: