Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield washer line 73 super
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetta jimmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Windshield washer line 73 super Reply with quote

Question for you guys - I went to replace the washer nozzle on my 73 super, the hose was dry rotted. How is that routed? I haven't taken everything apart yet...thanks!

64 Split
73 Super
74 Baja
82 Westy
00 Jetta
95 F150
05 Element
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
rlutterb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that line starts at the nozel, goes up the steering column then back down to the trunk to the top of the bottle, then out the bottom of bottle to the spare tire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Viande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the joy of the cheap price fades away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chi-townbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: 73 window washer line connections question Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I am having a hard time seeing the tubing connections under the dash. I am replacing all the tubing, and I replaced the tubing coming from the fluid bottel, into the cabin. I can not see where (under the dash) the other end of the tubing connects to. According to the drawing in this string, it looks like it attaches to the stering column, but I can not see where when I follow the old Tubing, it just disappears into a bundle of wires under the dash. I really do not want to take apart the dash just to connect the input and output lines. Can anyone confirm if it connects to the stering column or is there another connection somewhere else that I should be looking for? Seems like a lot of work just to get the window washer to operate as originally designed, but that is part of owning a bug.

Any suggestions
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
chi-townbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: 73 window washer line connections question Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I am having a hard time seeing the tubing connections under the dash. I am replacing all the tubing, and I replaced the tubing coming from the fluid bottel, into the cabin. I can not see where (under the dash) the other end of the tubing connects to. According to the drawing in this string, it looks like it attaches to the stering column, but I can not see where when I follow the old Tubing, it just disappears into a bundle of wires under the dash. I really do not want to take apart the dash just to connect the input and output lines. Can anyone confirm if it connects to the stering column or is there another connection somewhere else that I should be looking for? Seems like a lot of work just to get the window washer to operate as originally designed, but that is part of owning a bug.

Any suggestions
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Diabloghst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you go, hope this helps a little more

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=436339
traderpats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 window washer line connections question Reply with quote

chi-townbug wrote:
Hi Folks,

Any suggestions

Just did the exact same thing on my 73 SB the other week and now enjoy some serious washer pressure. The tubing routes up into the steering column and then connects to the washer / wiper unit. The washer / wiper unit has two connections for hoses, one for fluid incoming from the washer reservoir and one for the line going out to the spray nozzle for the windshield. So that's only two hose sections to replace.

What I did was pull the turn signal / washer / wiper unit loose from the steering column. That is, disconnect the electrical wiring going up into the steering wheel, pull the steering wheel off and gently remove the turn signal / washer / wiper assembly enough to expose the two hose connections which will actually be on the left side as you're sitting in the drivers seat.

Pull off the two hoses one at a time and replace with new ones. Be careful though as the connections are long, kinda flimsy things. You'll have to route the hoses up inside the column before connecting them to the wiper / washer unit so be sure to give yourself some slack to work with. Once you take apart the column it's really clear and straight forward.

As for routing the tubing under the dash.....I just feed both pieces through from the trunk and pick it up on the inside however works best. Disconnect the battery before you start routing the stuff through the wires just to be on the safe side. All in all it's a fairly straight forward job once you see how it's connected.

Lastly you may find that you have to remove the sprayer on the hood to clean it so it will spray decently. A needle works well to clear a clogged nozzle and also can be used to adjust the aim of the spray. Mine hadn't been working for a very long time and needed to be cleaned and aimed but it only takes a couple minutes.
chi-townbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, that makes a lot of sense. I will have to finish up the job later in the week. I will let you know how it went.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: