Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thinking About using Acid ??
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71surfbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Thinking About using Acid ?? Reply with quote

Read the posts a few down the line (I refere to threads as posts, threads make me think of having to sew holes in my socks)about using different types os acid to remove surface rust. Now Sulphuric if I wanted to get rid of a dead body, but muratic we used to wash concrete and brick. Does anyone know if this really works and how hard is it to remove any residue. The one that requires a minimum purchace of four gallons, a bit steep, then I would have to worry about where to store what I didn`t use. Thanks people Have A Great???
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking About using Acid ?? Reply with quote

71surfbus wrote:
Read the posts a few down the line (I refere to threads as posts, threads make me think of having to sew holes in my socks)about using different types os acid to remove surface rust. Now Sulphuric if I wanted to get rid of a dead body, but muratic we used to wash concrete and brick. Does anyone know if this really works and how hard is it to remove any residue. The one that requires a minimum purchace of four gallons, a bit steep, then I would have to worry about where to store what I didn`t use. Thanks people Have A Great???

I just linked the ospho site to show the product... you can find it or similar brand at local hardware and Home Depot etc...osometimes under a different name but make sure to read the formula and see phosphoric acid as an ingredient.

in other words....you don't have to buy 4 gallons.

I think that is just a site for big buyers or distributors.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about using it on a large scale but I recently used a 50/50 mix of water and muratic acid from home depot to clean the inside of a small but very rusty gas tank. I used warm water and agitated the tank gently for about 10 or 15 minutes. It came out spotless.
rcadmus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished doing a chassis, 5 wheels and a very rusty hood. I wire brushed/sanded all the loose rust , and treated it with "metal ready" from POR- 15. it contains phosphoric acid plus some other chemicals. It leaves a nice surface to which primer/paint bonds readily and protects the metal as well. I also use it on shiny metall as a surface prep prior to priming .

Your auto body supply shop should carry similar stuff.

Good luck
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a small bottle of that oshpo stuff at Ace hardwear. it was less than $10 and i have a bunch left. I used it on a very rusty(flakes and pin holes) luggage tray on my 65 bus. I removed any loose rust with sand paper, screwdriver, and a little grinder wheel. I than took a paint brush and applied a few coats over two days. It turned anywhere that was previously rusty(flakes or surface rust) a hard black surface. I than sprayed it with rubberized undercoating. i put a thick coat of this stuff. The noise is a least 50% less and it looks good and it's though too. The oshpo stuff came in a plastic bottle and it was green in color(the liquid). just ask for rust converter at a local hardwear store. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusty57 wrote:
I bought a small bottle of that oshpo stuff at Ace hardwear. it was less than $10 and i have a bunch left. I used it on a very rusty(flakes and pin holes) luggage tray on my 65 bus. I removed any loose rust with sand paper, screwdriver, and a little grinder wheel. I than took a paint brush and applied a few coats over two days. It turned anywhere that was previously rusty(flakes or surface rust) a hard black surface. I than sprayed it with rubberized undercoating. i put a thick coat of this stuff. The noise is a least 50% less and it looks good and it's though too. The oshpo stuff came in a plastic bottle and it was green in color(the liquid). just ask for rust converter at a local hardwear store. Good luck.

I have been using the ospho or other similar product for many years and it is great stuff. I've recommended it several times here lately.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to talk a little bit about a rust removal method that is absoutely the best for smaller parts. The size limit is based on how big of tub or container you can find. The process is called electrolisys. You fill your tub with enough water to cover your part, add some common lye, hook the negative lead of a battery charger to the part and the positive lead to a piece of steel scrap placed in the tub. The process will gradually move the rust from the part to the scrap piece but never attack the original part. I had several transmission parts that had gotten wet and rusted. I used this method and was able to remove all the rust even down in the splines and groves but not hurt the part at all. Unless you have a swimming pool in your backyard, you are not going to do a whole body but it is a good method for smaller pieces. I even did a couple of old brake drums and they ended up looking almost new.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: