Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need advice on 220v compressor installation
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Need advice on 220v compressor installation Reply with quote

okay, i got my on the cheap compressor from harbor freight yesterday and i am pretty excited...now i need to get it hooked up and need some advice...it has a 230v 6.5HP 15 Amp motor (same made in the USA elec. motor found on the 60 gallon Huskys at home depot).

1.) it currently has no plug coming from the unit, just a place with 2 screws for hooking up a wire. Do you directly wire it into the circuit breaker or do you wire it to a plug, and wire the garage with an outlet to plug into?...which type of plug is best?

2.) I currently have a double 50 Amp breaker that is not being used in my circuit box (originally wired for a hottub)...can i use this circuit for the compressor?...i also have 3 double circuit unused spots in my box, so i can install another breaker, which size would you recommend for the above stated motor? what size Romex wire should i use inside my walls?

3.) how do you install it so it is stationary?...where do you get rubber vibration isolator pads for the feet? do you mount it with bolts into the concrete floor and vibration pads? or on a couple 2x4s? pl400 it to the floor of the shop?

4.) there is a spot on the bottom that looks like it unscrews...is this a drain for water that would accumulate in the tank? does this have any other purpose?

5.) there is a spot to screw in the shut off valve. I do not plan on making a system of piping to multiple spots. Is this okay? I am thinking of just putting a shutoff valve, a vibration isolation hose, a air filter/dryer/regulator http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42035 and a 50' hose with 1/4 quick connectors....does this sound reasonable? can i hook a paint gun to this setup or do i need anything else? do i need an inline lubricator for mechanical air tools?

any help would be great...i am excited and want to get it all tied in safely and correctly...thanks, mark

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) Do you directly wire it into the circuit breaker or do you wire it to a plug, and wire the garage with an outlet to plug into?...which type of plug is best?

I setup an outlet in the wall like your dryer has. That way you can disconnect the compressor if something happens, or move it.

2.) I currently have a double 50 Amp breaker that is not being used in my circuit box (originally wired for a hottub)...can i use this circuit for the compressor?...i also have 3 double circuit unused spots in my box, so i can install another breaker, which size would you recommend for the above stated motor? what size Romex wire should i use inside my walls?

Just because you have blanks spots in a breaker box, doesnt mean its rated to handle more breakers being put in. All depends on what total load you have on it. you only need a 15 amp circuit technically (per your motor), but sometimes the motor will draw more when it kicks on etc. I would switch out the 50 to something like a 30 amp breaker and run 10 gauge or 20 amp with 12 gauge. Just depends on how beefy you want it. you dont want a 14 gauge wire rated for 15 amps to catch on fire because the 50 amp breaker didnt go off yet.

3.) how do you install it so it is stationary?...where do you get rubber vibration isolator pads for the feet? do you mount it with bolts into the concrete floor and vibration pads? or on a couple 2x4s? pl400 it to the floor of the shop?

I left mine on the crate,works fine as a base. You are supposed to bolt it to the floor though. Again, you can move it easily enough if needed.

4.) there is a spot on the bottom that looks like it unscrews...is this a drain for water that would accumulate in the tank? does this have any other purpose?

Just drains the water. You might want to consider cracking it just enough so theres a slow leak and it always lets water out. otherwise you need to open it up all the time depending on your humidity conditions.

5.) there is a spot to screw in the shut off valve. I do not plan on making a system of piping to multiple spots. Is this okay? I am thinking of just putting a shutoff valve, a vibration isolation hose, a air filter/dryer/regulator http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42035 and a 50' hose with 1/4 quick connectors....does this sound reasonable? can i hook a paint gun to this setup or do i need anything else? do i need an inline lubricator for mechanical air tools?

that will work, you can always add piping later if you want. Piping helps catch and trap the water and also serves as extra tank space. You will want it after you get tired of the cord in the way. No you dont need an inline lubricator for mech tools if you keep them lubed by putting a few drops in the fitting end of the tool before you use it. i would run 3/8's everything thought at least. All depends on what tools your gonna use and what their requirements are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks kommercial...that's exactly what i needed...should be up and running by tommorrow afternoon!...off to home depot and harbor freight Smile

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is it nothing is as simple as it seems...after several trips to home depot and ace, i am finally up and running...guess i'll need to make one more trip though to return all the wrong parts i ended up buying...

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to post earlier but I guess you got it going alright. For those other people who are going to do the same thing it is well worth the $50 the electrician will charge to come in and do the job. I did the same thing as Mark, ran around bought what I thought I needed... got scared,(there are alot of things I would hate to have to replace in that garage if I got it wrong) then ended up calling a pro. It didn't take him 15 minutes, plus he moved a couple of things around in the main feed from the house that freed up some more amperage... all in all well worth the $50... The big plus is that I sleep at night knowing the garage not going to burn because of the wiring. Now the welder is another story...
Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the mounting part: if it a vertical tank, I'd sit it on some rubber pads and bolt it to the floor. The tall tanks tend to be a bit top heavy. My 60 gallon horizontal tank just has a couple of pieces of 4x4s bolted to the legs. They soak up a lot of vibration and help keep it nice and stable. Its been that way for over 15 years now. The boards also give enough clearance under the tank that I can slide my floor jack under the compressor and lift it a little to move it around.
roy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop!stop!Stop! What is the name plate rating on your compressor? at 220v what is the amp draw? the motor should say full load amps (fls) that is the size of the breaker and the size of the wire in wich you need to feed your compressor with. Ex if it says 16a@ 220-240-208v then you have to put no more than a 20amp 2pole breaker to feed it if it says 12a @ the same thing then you have to feed it with a 15a 2pole breaker.

By putting such a large breaker on your compressor if it doesnt need a ckt that big if some thing happend to the motor or the wire that is feeding it . It could be in flames by the time the breaker does what it is supposed to do then it TOO LATE. by by house garage contents vw

Some day when the rust is gone, I will at last found inner peace... (Peace has Been Found)

"Wide awake, and keeping distance from my soul"
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now your worrying me...from everything i researched on the net, it sounded like a 15 amp 220volt compressor should use a circuit with a minimum of 1.5Xthe amerage of the motor (in my case 22.5...rounded upto 30 amp breaker) since this is the initial draw that occurs when the motor kicks in...

another source said to pick a minimal breaker size that your motor is 75% of the circuits amperage...so in my case (30amp breakerx.75 = 22.5 amp max motor , 20 Amp breaker x .75 = 15 amp max motor)...doesn't acount for initial surge in circuit though when the motor kicks on...

so i went with 10 gauge wire, a dryer 220v 3 prong (not to code, i know) outlet and a 30 amp breaker....my house has plenty of amperage left for that and the motor is an intermittent usage (like an AC or Electric Heater...truns on and off) so i am okay...i think?....

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to pay a good electrician to figure it out for you. If you are wrong on which breaker aperage to use it could do just what roy63 stated and burn your home down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
roy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rember the higher the voltage the lower the amperge even if you are using a 30 amp breaker you may still have too much going to the compressor what size tank do you have, and whats the name plate on the motor say for the amperge on 220v? or what horse power motor do you have turning the compressor and check also that you have 240v in your home across both lines in the panel

Some day when the rust is gone, I will at last found inner peace... (Peace has Been Found)

Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja Vu Mark... that's all the shit I bought. I was thinking 220, just like the dryer. "Well, no" the electrian said. I have an 80 gal. tank, 7hp motor and the 15 amp breaker is sufficient. The plug is roughly the same size as your 110 wall plug but the orientation of the prongs is different. Seriously, invited an electrician over to look at what you've done... you'll sleep so much better.
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i can swap out to a 15 amp breaker easy enough...don't much matter if the wires are too beefy, so long as the breaker is the right amperage, right?.....thanks, Mark

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
roy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are correct. The bigger the wire is the better

Big Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first post said a 15 amp, 230 volt compressor. That implies a running load of 15 amps. 100% oversize breaker is common on motor starting circuits. There are actually some quirks in the NEC that allow you to run smaller than 30 amp wire for this application but 10ga is a good idea. Your compressor will never melt down into a flaming mass because the motor itself has built in thermal overload protection. The breaker in this case does not protect the motor but protects the circuit itself. A 30 amp circuit feeding a 15 amp motor should be just fine and and give long, troublefree service.
roy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big jim you are correct I belive its article 430 in the N.E.C.

marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys for all the discussion and help, guess i'll stick with the 30 amp 220v breaker....btw, my motor says:

205-230v - 15 Amp Continuous

and it is thermally protected

thanks again, Mark

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: