Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5.9 Cummins in my 73 bug?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mackyboy1893
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: 5.9 Cummins in my 73 bug? Reply with quote

I have a 73 bug Very Happy for some time I have wanted to do an engine swap, I've considered a Subaru engine as I love scubys, but there is something about the thought of a turbo diesel sound coming out of a 73 bug that seems sexy to me. I'm a huge cummins fan so, it would have to be a cummins, but would the 5.9 be too big? What would go into a project like this? Of course it would go into the front. What would I have to do? As in cooling, rear end and anything else.

Thanks Cool
doc1369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything can be done. It all depends on how much it means to you $. You would have to make a custom frame and place the body on it. Nothing from the pan would work.
GNandGS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trans issues? Lose the back seat?
jharte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Eureka Springs, MO show this weekend and saw a bug body and pan mounted to a small 4x4 truck frame.

Anything can be done with enough imagination and $$.
mackyboy1893
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that almost anything can be done with the right amount of money and imagination, but I'm a full time college student, one that uses all of his imagination trying to get his damn thesis completed. Anyways, I live in an apartment, so I have limited space as well. I could do this at my friends house, but neither one of us have much if any welding skills, or any fabrication skills of any kind. I was trying to keep this simple, but I guess with doing an engine swap, simple is out of the question, right? What about using a 6.1 hemi? Putting srt8 badging on it, srt8 wheels, seats from a charger with the srt8 logo, maybe a few other things. Paint it plum crazy or toxic orange. It would be sexy, but the question is, would it be any easier?
mjenner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no money or imagination? sounds like a good plan.....
might be just a wee bit heavy too
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason its called 'partying' is when you get a real good sack of dope you have to share it...when you smoke it all yourself you start thinking of putting cummins diesels in fatchicks...bad mackyboy,back away from the pipe...
mackyboy1893
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I obviously have enough imagination, because I came up with this plan. I never said I don't have any money, I just can't spend $70,000+ like some of these guys do for show bugs. All I want is the engine in it. I don't need some crazy custom, this is my daily driver. I would go with just making the 1600cc that's in it stronger, but they are not reliable, and no one will ever tell me exactly what to do to it. As I don't have a mechanic background. I also have been spoiled with ac, and bugs don't have ac, that's why I wanted a different engine that could handle the strain of the condenser on the engine.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$70,000... only if you pay someone else to do all the work.

Seriously, that engine must weigh 3 times what a VW engine weighs. then where you gonna stick it, how are you gonna get the power to the ground and what about suspension and brake upgrades?

Most times when I see radical things like this, it's done on either a car chassis or home made. Then they drop a Beetle body on it.

If you want to try something that could be practical, then do a Subaru ro RX7 engine swap.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mackyboy1893
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
$70,000... only if you pay someone else to do all the work.

Seriously, that engine must weigh 3 times what a VW engine weighs. then where you gonna stick it, how are you gonna get the power to the ground and what about suspension and brake upgrades?

Most times when I see radical things like this, it's done on either a car chassis or home made. Then they drop a Beetle body on it.

If you want to try something that could be practical, then do a Subaru ro RX7 engine swap.

I have thought about the subaru swap, and I would love to do that, but I ha e no idea how, what would go into something like this? And could I keep it all wheel drive?
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC was an option on your '73, the parts are available.

With proper attention paid to assembly and maintenance a 1600 can be reliable.

Horsepower increases are available,but expensive,especially if reliability is your goal.the costs rise when the horsepower increases.

Dont take me wrong,I was just joking with you...the early cummins 6BT (5.9) is a fantastic engine,but its power to weight ratio makes it unsuitable for a beetles chassis.Way easier and cheaper to build a reliable 1915cc or 1776 cc vw engine than it is to design a chassis and running gear with the 5.9 and put a bug shell on it.
mackyboy1893
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's look at it this way. I need this car to be able to go at least 95 mph every day on the highway. I need it to be reliable, and strong. I drive it about 70 miles every day.

That's why I was thinking the subaru engine, my last two cars were a 2001 subaru rs, and before that a 99 rs. I loved those things, the 01 had 467,000 miles on it before i sold it in 2008 and its still running strong with 650,000 miles Tue last time I knew. These cars/engines just font die, and all I ever had to do was the usual sparks, belts, and filters. Of course fluids. That's why I want one in a bug. But I have no idea how to do it, that's why I made an account on this forum, so o could ask the questions. I want to know how to put a 2.5 litre turbo subaru flat 4 in my 73 VW bug. Please explain everything I will need to do. Like if anything will need to he done to the frame, what I will need for a tranny, what I will need for the rear end and more. If you want to email me with what this will take my email is [email protected] or if you have a link that explains in detail how to do this, then that would be awesome too.

Much appreciated,
Mackyboy
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion....

Just get rid of the beetle now while it still has some value and buy some other car that fill what ever needs you think you have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mackyboy1893
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Suggestion....

Just get rid of the beetle now while it still has some value and buy some other car that fill what ever needs you think you have.

I'm doing this swap, this car was my uncles, he died last year in a car accident. It was always something he wanted to do, he always talked about putting a subaru engine, or a cummins engine in it. That's the main reason I want to do this.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see you are trying to finish school, you have no money, no time and live in an apartment.

Finish college and after that take the beetle on a victory lap around the country in memory of your departed uncle using the factory engine. Get out and look at wierd things, have some fun, go for a ride.

After that, then think about an engine swap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackyboy1893 wrote:
I need this car to be able to go at least 95 mph every day on the highway.

Much appreciated,
Mackyboy

you're never gonna get a Beetle to do that. You might have an engine that can do it but the body, suspension and brakes will not handle it for long. It just wasn't designed to do that.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mackyboy1893
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
mackyboy1893 wrote:
I need this car to be able to go at least 95 mph every day on the highway.

Much appreciated,
Mackyboy

you're never gonna get a Beetle to do that. You might have an engine that can do it but the body, suspension and brakes will not handle it for long. It just wasn't designed to do that.

I understand that, part of the plan was to replace the suspension and braking. If I did that, the body would hold up at those speeds wouldn't it?
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally,
I think it is an insane thought. Get a small diesel from another VW or Audi and boost it. Otherwise buy a Dodge pickup. The 5.9 weighs 1400 lbs. The car will never hold it. I think Glenn's estimate of 70k was very conservative
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidiHo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From one college student to another here's my advice:

-Stick with the 1600
-Buy an idiot book and a Bentley manual
-Go to sears and get a tool set
-Learn to fix your own car
-Learn to drive slowly and safely
-Understand that you don't need to drive 95 mph on the highway-you just want to
-Girls love bugs

Seriously, just keep it running til you finish school and then do something crazy to it if you haven't grown emotionally attached to the quirks of driving and owning an aircooled VW.
The beauty of these cars is that someone who is reasonably mechanically inclined can keep them running well with diligent daily maintenance and competent driving practices.

-Paul
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I understand that, part of the plan was to replace the suspension and braking. If I did that, the body would hold up at those speeds wouldn't it?

All those parts takes money, time and know-how to install. Sell the bug and buy and honda civic. It can do 95mph all day.

I'm going to make a prediction...you get the bug dissassembled, hacked apart then lose interest or realize that you're in over your head. Let me know how close I am.

Bottom line....Accept the beetle for what it is or sell it.

Need a really good mechanic for your VW bus? Consider making an appointment with Colin (Amskeptic) next time he passes thru your area.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: