Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Sage Green Westy Restoration Lots of PICTURES
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: 79 Sage Green Westy Restoration Lots of PICTURES Reply with quote

With great recommendation from some of the member i am starting a thread to post my ups and downs as i go threw my first real restoration. Please comment, Teach, OFfer your help, Come join the fun? THank you for stopping by to take a look.
Little Green Dude is a 79 Westfallia 2.0 FI Federal manual. When i got him every thing was way way stinky and full of mice doo and pee, real bad. could not save much of anything on the interior. Here is a list of what i saved.

Saved Interior items
- Dash - steering wheel - rear view mirror- the wood base for all the cabinets ( stripped all laminate and clearcoated any wood and am relaming all with Formica Glamour Cherry) - cargo light - sink - curtian rods

Replaced Interior items
- New refab vanagon Plaid green front seats ( Busdepot)
- New fabric and foam cushions threw out (done by Sandy Upholstery in Loveland, CO)
- New rubber front mat , pedistal mats, pedistal wrap arround mats
- All door Liners/panels new
- New headliner
- new curtians ( busdepot OEM green)
- New carpet ( from the guy over the pond) its the closest match out there. If you have been ever looking for westy carpet you know the guy. I will post his link when i can.
- new sink pump
- a bunch of wiring, mice had field day
- new Kick panels ( from Werksbrug ABS panels)
- New Formicia on everything ( Galamour Cherry, very close to Colornial Cherry) contact Mary Ann at Bloedorn Lumber 1810 w. eisenhower Loveland, 970-667-2971
- new black T molding for cabinets
- New plaid green bench stool ( busedepot repo)
- new front dome light
- replacement stickers
- new cargo area decking that goes under the carpet ( this i am still working on, i need a substrate that is 1/8 thick and comes in 5x5 sheets to spand the old hardboard demensions ( 4x8 sheet not wide enough) Any good Ideas?
I hope didnt miss anything.
Photos being uploaded to photobucket now. stay tuned for more

Last edited by curtis4085 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My 79 Westy Restoration Picture Heavy Reply with quote

quote="curtis4085"]With great recommendation from some of the member i am starting a thread to post my ups and downs as i go threw my first real restoration. Please comment, Teach, OFfer your help, Come join the fun? THank you for stopping by to take a look.
Little Green Dude is a 79 Westfallia 2.0 FI Federal manual. When i got him every thing was way way stinky and full of mice doo and pee, real bad. could not save much of anything on the interior. Here is a list of what i saved.

Saved Interior items
- Dash - steering wheel - rear view mirror- the wood base for all the cabinets ( stripped all laminate and clearcoated any wood and am relaming all with Formica Glamour Cherry) - cargo light - sink - curtian rods

Replaced Interior items
- New fabric and foam cushions threw out (done by Sandy Upholstery in Loveland, CO)
- New headliner
- New carpet ( from the guy over the pond) its the closest match out there. If you have been ever looking for westy carpet you know the guy. I will post his link when i can.
- new sink pump
- New Formicia on everything ( Galamour Cherry, very close to Colornial Cherry) contact Mary Ann at Bloedorn Lumber 1810 w. eisenhower Loveland, 970-667-2971
- new front dome light
- replacement stickers
- new cargo area decking that goes under the carpet ( this i am still working on, i need a substrate that is 1/8 thick and comes in 5x5 sheets to spand the old hardboard demensions ( 4x8 sheet not wide enough) Any good Ideas?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know this looks good so far right? wrong, all wasted with mice shit smell,.no cleaning in the world has worked. all getting replaced

Last edited by curtis4085 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Nice find! So where are you going to start?

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Curtis; keep the pictures coming! What's that thing sticking out of the luggage rack on the driver's side? Now get back to work and find us a couple of EGR filters for our busses will ya? I'm counting on you. Wink

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westfabulous wrote:
Looks good Curtis; keep the pictures coming! What's that thing sticking out of the luggage rack on the driver's side? Now get back to work and find us a couple of EGR filters for our busses will ya? I'm counting on you. Wink

luggage rack was a CB antenna.. and as for EGR i bougth a brand new 78 and will machine it to look like the 79. Keep you posted.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 79 Westy Restoration Picture Heavy Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
quote="curtis4085"]With great recommendation from some of the member i am starting a thread to post my ups and downs as i go threw my first real restoration. Please comment, Teach, OFfer your help, Come join the fun? THank you for stopping by to take a look.

Saved Interior items

Replaced Interior items
- New headliner
- new sink pump
- new front dome light
- replacement stickers

I know this looks good so far right? wrong, all wasted with mice shit smell,.no cleaning in the world has worked. all getting replaced

some before shots and then the cabinets after repair and stripping of laminate. All cabinets are now all prepped and getting Formica Glamour Cherry and new black T molding. Notice all the repair on bottom front of bench, i wanted to keep what i could and replaced the worst pieces.

Last edited by curtis4085 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gutted him, bleached, washed, beached, washed, distilled viniger, pressure washed, baking soda soap mix, pressure washed. Interior smell almost normal ( until the duct work was pulled) Thank You Verners VW. oh man the duct work smelled and they saved it for me, in my vehicle, totally understandable as the engine, tins, etc , stored in there right now. Out for body and paint

Last edited by curtis4085 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Curtis, that green carpet doesn't look too bad. I know you said it smells bad, but don't pitch that out! You have priced the replacement carpet set from Kieft & Klok, right? It may be worth it to you to have your OG carpet professionally cleaned. Even if you don't want to keep it, someone WILL buy it from you, and gladly.

That floor that is revealed from removing your interior looks like brand new. Reminds me of mine when I had it all out last year. Good you took photos of it before putting things back in. Nice!

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts that i have ordered with the help of the peeps here on this site and around the world.

Last edited by curtis4085 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curtis, do me a favor and take a picture of that black vinyl pouch that is hanging from your dash when you get a chance. From what I can see, it is identical to the bag that came attached with snaps to the front face of my Westy stool. The consensus was that is was not original, but everything down to the snaps looks OEM and has seemingly German markings on it. It seems ironic that both our buses are from 1979, and both would have what appears to be the same map pocket. Mine also has a small slit in the top middle where it can be hung from a knob as well. If it is not original, it would be the only item on the interior of my bus that wasn't. Here's a pic of mine:

Here's a pic of yours (hanging from the dash):

Last edited by Westfabulous on Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westfabulous wrote:
Curtis, do me a favor and take a picture of that black vinyl pouch that is hanging from your dash when you get a chance. From what I can see, it is identical to the bag that came attached with snaps to the front face of my Westy stool. The consensus was that is was not original, but everything down to the snaps looks OEM and has German markings on it. It seems ironic that both our buses are from 1979, and both would have what appears to be the same map pocket. Mine also has a small hole in the top middle where it can be hung from a knob. Here's a pic:

those were PO pictures before i started taking him apart. He must have snagged it. Or and it quite possible i have it some where. This is one big puzzle to put back together.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Westfabulous wrote:
Curtis, do me a favor and take a picture of that black vinyl pouch that is hanging from your dash when you get a chance. From what I can see, it is identical to the bag that came attached with snaps to the front face of my Westy stool. The consensus was that is was not original, but everything down to the snaps looks OEM and has German markings on it. It seems ironic that both our buses are from 1979, and both would have what appears to be the same map pocket. Mine also has a small hole in the top middle where it can be hung from a knob. Here's a pic:

those were PO pictures before i started taking him apart. He must have snagged it. Or and it quite possible i have it some where. This is one big puzzle to put back together.

mine didnt have snaps, it was hanging from the defrost knob. mice lived in it.
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, did it look the same as mine, or was it different somehow?

curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 79 Westy Restoration Picture Heavy Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:

Saved Interior items

Replaced Interior items
- New headliner
- new sink pump
- new front dome light
- replacement stickers

not just smell many dead mice and little beans lots lots. Almost couldnt handle it. but very sanitized at the moment.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westfabulous wrote:
Hmmm, did it look the same as mine, or was it different somehow?

similar yes. mine has no snaps just hole threw it i think. I will try and keep an eye out for it. I may not see it till i put him back together
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things i need or could use help getting

- New tent I want german (gold color)
- Very important 79 egr valve and correct egr tube
- Very important all the little rubber seals that go on cooling tin
- Upgrade headlights

- rebuild engine which means
new heads- Hoffmans
pistons and rings
all the litte things

more to come
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Curtis; what does it feel like to win the lottery?!?!?! Wink

curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westfabulous wrote:
Wow Curtis; what does it feel like to win the lottery?!?!?! Wink

Lottery, I wish. More like credit max.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, now paint the wheels.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 46

Jump to: