Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Strainer Step Stud Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferret963
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Oil Strainer Step Stud Question Reply with quote

Having just purchased my first VW, I proceeded to change the oil. When I did it two of the studs threaded out of the block with the nut firmly attached to the end. I plan on doing the step stud fix with the 8mm 1.25 to a 6mm 1. I have read extensively on the form about this fix. When I went to NAPA to get the step stud they wanted to know how long of one to order. So I was wondering how long the step stud should be to perform this fix?
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP!!!!!!!!

Do not use the step studs unless the holes Are striped.. just put them back in with lock-tight.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If in fact the threads in the case are stripped, the stepped stud is a legitimate repair. Done them at dealers and independents alike. But you have options. There is a gent up in Washington, Rockey Jennings, I believe, has a 7mm x 6mm stepped stud available that he makes himself. He is a regular contributor here. Also, TimeSert makes a kit. Ray Greenwood commented last week on a different thread repair that he endorses and he is well respected here on this and other VW sites. Just be sure the threads are indeed stripped.
Hope this helps, Bill
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost every VW parts distributor sells the step studs, I dont know If you have A ACE hardware store were you live? but all the ones around hear sell the step studs. I beleve thy are 1" long?
ferret963
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well I double checked and you are right. None of the threads are stripped, the studs all just keep threading up into the block and are 6mm... it turns our 5 of the studs come out this way, one doesn't. If I do lock tite them, how will I know the studs are in the right position?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, that you determined their are no damaged threads. One stud holds the oil pick up tube down and won't move unless its nut is loosened. The original threads must be tapped in a way that as the proper stud is installed it tightens as it gets to the proper position. This position corresponds to the stud protruding out approx 10mm or 3/8" below the gasket surface. This is about the thickness of two 6mm nuts. I would not use locktite unless excessive looseness is experienced as future removal is more laborious. The distance the stud sticks out is based on the use of a strainer, two gaskets, plate, and cap nut.
Hope this helps, Bill.
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I do it is:
1. clean the bottom of the motor good! and git up in the holes, use Q-tips to clean the threads out.
2. Put the cap nuts on the studs, finger tight.
3. put the drain plate, both gaskets, and the stranger in place using the stud thats still in place, put the cap nut & copper washer on to hold it all up.
4. put A drop of lock-tight on the end of the lose studs and screw them in with "NO" copper washer! finger tight.
5. after you have them all on snug them down, DO NOT torque them at all,, just snug..
6. after thy have sat long enough for the lock-tight to dry, remove the cap nuts one at A time and install the copper washer, and torque to 5 foot pounds..

That's it Very Happy
The lock-tight well stop them from coming out every time you do A oil change Wink

The reason I add the copper washer last Is to insure that when you torque the cap nuts thy dont bottom out on the stud Wink
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rockerarm"There is a gent up in Washington, Rockey Jennings, I believe, has a 7mm x 6mm stepped stud available[/quote]
I've used them and they are awesome. Just tap the hole and install. You can always go 8/6mm after if you need to.

Here's his ad: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=965448

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ferret963
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help. I did what you said hank and so far no leaks. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: