Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kinda long bodywork question...
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MConstable
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Kinda long bodywork question... Reply with quote

Hello all, Got a question about bodywork on my truck...
First, it's had some work done, and it isn't all OG paint...now...
Is there anyway I can do some of the prep work myself if it's going to be a couple of years before paint?
Basically, I want to take the gates off, restore them, take the body down to bare or near metal to see exactly where I stand...etc.
I've done a lot of research on media-blasting vs. chemical stripping etc, might I be better off just finding someone reputable to blast it and prime it?
I'd like to do what I can myself, just don't want to mess anything up.
Thanks...Michael
SHARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blast and epoxy primer everything you can, be sure to weigh out all the benefits of each before you choose a product line. PPG's DP epoxy was my choice for a long time, but since they have removed the lead from that too it is not as good as it used to be.(Just same it is still a decent product) Basically a GOOD quality epoxy surface lasts forever and there are no pores in the surface so it will not rust again. This way for the life of your project, the parts are protected, when you are ready for body work just scuff up the surface for any topcoats or filler primers and proceed as nessary. Any area you intend to use filler on other than a skim coat of icing (Or any type of over primer final finishing putty) you should remove the epoxy and roughen to at least a 40 grit sand scratch, for adhesion and to take avantage of any rust inhibitor that the filler my include in it's make up... This will give you a solid start, so you or anyone you might hire, can finish out your project without back tracking saving you time and money. Most hobbists do not spend the time to do this and when they finally give up and pay someone else to finish a car it costs them double to remove what they have done with lesser methods..... For the record,before this post turns into another use this, no use that B.S. deal. No matter what you use, who's advice you take, or how you do anything regarding your project, if want a quality job read up on the make up, uses, and general interactions of any filler,surfacer,rust converter,sealer or paint you plan to use. You don't need a degree in chemistry, just read the side of the can frist. No one seems to get any farther than the NOT FORSALE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC FOR USE BY PROFESSIONALS ONLY label, they smear the stuff on their car and wonder why it flakes back off. Good luck ....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: