Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New guy with Schwimmwagen questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lightmart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: New guy with Schwimmwagen questions Reply with quote

Hello All,

Firstly, let me introduce myself. My name is Martin and I am living in the UK. This is my first post on this forum, so I will apologise now if it is in the incorrect location Embarassed ....mods, please move and let me know...thanks Smile

Secondly, I have some Schwimmwagen questions, which I hope someone will be able to help me with.

I am currently researching being able to construct my own replica....as close as I can anyway, but I have some initial observations:

1) What is the proper name for the dark grey colour that some schwimmwagens appear to be painted in ?

2) I see on photos that there appears to be 2 fuel filler caps, but what is the third cap for ?

3) What might the availablity of a workshop manual be for this vehicle ?

4) I have examined pictures of Schwimmwagen axles, but can't see any evidence of shock absorbers fitted. Are they used ?

5) When the propeller unit is raised, is the actual drive from the engine crank still rotating ? Does it rotate whenever the engine is working ?

6) What did the central lubrication system actually do ?

7) Do the headlights employ a sidelight or not ?

Eight) On looking at a wiring diagram, it would appear that a 3 position start switch is employed.....off, ignition and ignition with lights...would this be correct ?

9) There appears to be both narrow and wide wheel/tyre combinations employed..are any better/more available tha others ?

Thanks you to anyone who can help. Apologies for the probably "basic" questions!!

My investigations so far, have led me to the following conclusions...

1) Front wheel drive is out, just rear.
2) Using a Type 1 as a base to start from is also out as the floorpan isn't correct for "schwimming"
3) Some Type 1 parts can be used.
4) The propeller drive will be hard to find
5) I am assuming that the use of a VW bus type rear axle arrangement, will provide the necessary reduction box arrangement required.
6) I am in for some pain!!! Rolling Eyes

All the above started because I went on a visit to the Ardennes area, doing some historic WW2 research and called in at the museum at Malmedy...and they had a Schwimmwagen and it was really quite an excellent thing!!

I applied to join the forum at VW166 also, as I assumed that this would be a good place to start..but I haven't had my application acknowledged, so i assume that they must either be full up of subscribers, or they have already worked out what a nuisance I am and not allowed me in!!

Regards

martin
vwrobert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Interesting set of questions, If you are starting from scratch look up the Schwimwagen replica made in Florida, he seems to use a Bug pan to start with. Good luck on your project.

WWW.TheVolksmeister.Com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for Mr. Slug's 10+ page post in the thing forum for a nice conversion of a beetle into a faux schwimmer, it addresses many of your questions and lots more you have not thought of yet. Wink
Kapt. Q
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,
It's possible to build a perfect replica, body panels are available from both Germany and Cz. The mechanicals are also available, it just takes time and money to collect them. Lots of the Mechanicals are reproduced but not all. The ultimate schwimmer forum is the 166 registry, keep emailing them and you will get registered eventually. Mr Slugs reproduction can be found at www.schwimmwagenreplica.co.uk
In answer to your questions:-

1. Dunkelgrau, sometimes called panzergrau
2. Filler for central lubrication pump
3. There is no workshop manual available, only the owners manual that covers basic maintanance
4. All wheels have shock absorbers, the fronts are very small regular piston type, the rears are lever type.
5. When the propeller is raised the PTO will still turn, but that is usually disconnected too from under the engine cover by disengaging it from the crankshaft pulley.
6. The central lubrication system provides lubrication to all pivot points on the front suspension, steering linkages, spindles and king pins. Because these are completely immersed while swimming any water is purged with fresh oil by a few pumps on exiting the water, it is also used every 1000km's or so of road travel to relubricate the above.
7. Yes, there are sidelights built in to the headlights
8. Yes
9.The wider wheels and tyres provide a little more bouyancy while swimming and improved grip while exiting water and in offroad conditions. The narrow wheels and tyres were the standard ones for kubelwagens. Both types are readily available because they are reproduced.

Four wheel drive is useful when exiting water through mud. (the schwimmer also has an extra vey low gear available for difficult 4x4 conditions).
Using a type one as a base is possible, it's what Mr. Slug did, but the schwimmwagen is actually shorter and narrower.
Lots of type 1 parts were used in the Type 166.
The propeller drive is easy to get because it is reproduced
The pre '54 bus uses an almost identical reduction box.

Cheers!

Last edited by Kapt. Q on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Lightmart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bothof the early replies.

I have read Mr Slugs outstanding work...all 18 pages of it!!! Surprised with great interest

I seem to remember that he ditched the type 1 floorpan idea early on, but I might be mistaken Embarassed

I can't really resolve the questions above on the Mr Slug pages...any more offers ?

Does anyone know of the Lehar Military Vehicles Co, who seem to produce 166 parts ? I have sent them a couple of e-mails, but haven't received any reply unfortunately.

Thanks again to all

Martin
Kapt. Q
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin,
They do not speak English at Lehar Military so it takes a little while to get replies, be patient.
I dont think Mr. Slug used the floorpan, just the central 'frame'
Cheers!
Lightmart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kapt Q,

Just the info I was after.

I knew that there was a parts supplier in the Czech Republic, but was unaware of the German one. Do you know the name of the German company ?

Your answers have provided a good way forward for me now.

Kind regards

Martin
Kapt. Q
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The German panels are available through:-
http://www.vwschwimmwagen.de/
The other Cz company for reproduction parts and panels is:-
http://www.kdf.cz/web%20KDF_EN/kat166.htm
A smaller Cz company that makes some really good castings is:-
http://www.kdfdily.cz/?q=content/page/view/3

Cheers!
pbaptist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, you are interested in this.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1216456
4* Rometsch Lawrence (nr 534, 555, 558 and 561)

Karmann-Ghia Lowlight page and registry
Karmann-Ghia Collectibles database
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lightmart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I had seen that, but had discounted it due to an article I read on-line, which talked about the lack of rigidity of fibreglass bodies when off road...compared to the steel hull type Question .

If I remember correctly, I think that Dr Porsche even looked into using it, but came to the same conclusion.

regards

Martin
vw166.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: vw166 Reply with quote

Hi Martin

You are most welcome to join the vw166.com forum.
You can find several replica's build stories there as well as restoration stories of original Schwimmers & Kuebels.
I am getting 40 fake user request a day (spam by email), hence the request on the forum page to drop me a line with your username such that I know you are 'real'. Let me know your username please and I can activate.

Regards
Bart
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Lightmart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bart,

I would very much like to join the forum.

My user name is Lightmart

Regards

martin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: