Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Patina or Paint my 57 Oval
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
to me, original faded paint means no hidden rust, bondo, or other bullshit I can't see. Patina cars are honest.

Some people are ok with rusty BS patched together, smoothed out and made to look pretty. Not I. I've seen enough of old cars that were used and abused. Shiney paint is cool on a new car or a top dollar resto. Anything else, I prefer old, faded, and original

That fine when you're buying a car, but when you own the car and are planning on keeping it FIX IT

If you have ever tried to fix a car with serious surface rust, you would understand why they are full of bondo, rust pits and replacement panels suck.

You all talk about keeping the car original. When you have to cut the bottom foot and a half off the car, rebuild the door posts replace the aprons doors and lids becasue you let it rust out how original it that?

I'm not saying you have to do a full on 25K restoration with a perfect paint job, but take care of the rust, seal the metal, pay Macco $250 bucks to put some crappy paint on it grab a scotchbrite pad and take the shine off of it iff you want the faded look. Grab some Mexican blankets for upholstery if you want, make your car roadworthy and enjoy it.

Keep in mind there are lots of places Beetles rust out where NO replacement panels are available. I just sent a cowl for a 54 to Ohio, not many spare cowls kicking around if you need to replace one, nor interior panels like under the rear windows.

People give me crap for cutting up an Oval for a race car, at least I'm saving it from the scrap yard, repairing the rust, and preserving the car for at least another 20 years. Once you start driving a rusty car it only gets worse and FAST especially in your climate, you West Coast boys just don't understand damp weather, road salt and shitty roads.

brad

BB Buggy 121.253mph @ Bonneville 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57hMyJmIU10
Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the main reason I have trust issues
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a lot of hate and anger. You need to give it up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm in Galveston, on the gulf. 3rd coast if you will

As for assuming I've never fixed anything...almost 20 years into VW's. 30+ cars, some all show, some all daily driver. I've had my hand in some magazine cars, I've rebuilt cars from the ground up. I've put in my time, I can say without a doubt I absolutely prefer a nice original patina surface rust car to a cheepo paint job scotch brite pad and mexican blankets. I prefer it to a show car as well, having enjoyed both.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you pressure wash it and get back to us?
I looked at all of the pics in your photobucket and it doesn't look all that rusty to me.
Since its a black car you can easily patch any rusty areas and use cheap spray paint to blend, so I stand behind my original opinion. I am loving that interior, like an old pair of favorite jeans.

Current Project, 66 Single Cab
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575116&highlight=
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get me wrong, I love original paint cars but the OPs car is NOT in original paint.

Like I said preserve the interior, and paint the EXTERIOR.
volksgroove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to those who don't appreciate patina... I offer this... I restore high end cars for a living. I can produce show quality every single time, given the right budget and time frame. Shiny bores me lately.... but, I have to admit that "patina" is a very interprative term lately and I am not impressed with the builds that try to "produce" or "replicate" a patina look...

we found our 56 that had been stored for thirty years out of the elements. It is all OG black paint except for the right rear fender that was replaced and painted black. We LOVE the patina as it is... because it cannot be reproduced....

here is a pic of our Black Beauty...

and here is the build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478582

dude... your car looks good, and if you dig the patina... by all means rock it. Shiny is nice, too... but at a healthy cost. If you're not in a position to do it right, wait and enjoy her as she is...

If you want it done right... feel free to contact me about your project...

please join my page: www.facebook.com/the.dub.lab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: