Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Patina or Paint my 57 Oval
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
to me, original faded paint means no hidden rust, bondo, or other bullshit I can't see. Patina cars are honest.

Some people are ok with rusty BS patched together, smoothed out and made to look pretty. Not I. I've seen enough of old cars that were used and abused. Shiney paint is cool on a new car or a top dollar resto. Anything else, I prefer old, faded, and original

That fine when you're buying a car, but when you own the car and are planning on keeping it FIX IT

If you have ever tried to fix a car with serious surface rust, you would understand why they are full of bondo, rust pits and replacement panels suck.

You all talk about keeping the car original. When you have to cut the bottom foot and a half off the car, rebuild the door posts replace the aprons doors and lids becasue you let it rust out how original it that?

I'm not saying you have to do a full on 25K restoration with a perfect paint job, but take care of the rust, seal the metal, pay Macco $250 bucks to put some crappy paint on it grab a scotchbrite pad and take the shine off of it iff you want the faded look. Grab some Mexican blankets for upholstery if you want, make your car roadworthy and enjoy it.

Keep in mind there are lots of places Beetles rust out where NO replacement panels are available. I just sent a cowl for a 54 to Ohio, not many spare cowls kicking around if you need to replace one, nor interior panels like under the rear windows.

People give me crap for cutting up an Oval for a race car, at least I'm saving it from the scrap yard, repairing the rust, and preserving the car for at least another 20 years. Once you start driving a rusty car it only gets worse and FAST especially in your climate, you West Coast boys just don't understand damp weather, road salt and shitty roads.

brad
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a lot of hate and anger. You need to give it up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm in Galveston, on the gulf. 3rd coast if you will

As for assuming I've never fixed anything...almost 20 years into VW's. 30+ cars, some all show, some all daily driver. I've had my hand in some magazine cars, I've rebuilt cars from the ground up. I've put in my time, I can say without a doubt I absolutely prefer a nice original patina surface rust car to a cheepo paint job scotch brite pad and mexican blankets. I prefer it to a show car as well, having enjoyed both.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you pressure wash it and get back to us?
I looked at all of the pics in your photobucket and it doesn't look all that rusty to me.
Since its a black car you can easily patch any rusty areas and use cheap spray paint to blend, so I stand behind my original opinion. I am loving that interior, like an old pair of favorite jeans.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get me wrong, I love original paint cars but the OPs car is NOT in original paint.

Like I said preserve the interior, and paint the EXTERIOR.
volksgroove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to those who don't appreciate patina... I offer this... I restore high end cars for a living. I can produce show quality every single time, given the right budget and time frame. Shiny bores me lately.... but, I have to admit that "patina" is a very interprative term lately and I am not impressed with the builds that try to "produce" or "replicate" a patina look...

we found our 56 that had been stored for thirty years out of the elements. It is all OG black paint except for the right rear fender that was replaced and painted black. We LOVE the patina as it is... because it cannot be reproduced....

here is a pic of our Black Beauty...

and here is the build thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=478582

dude... your car looks good, and if you dig the patina... by all means rock it. Shiny is nice, too... but at a healthy cost. If you're not in a position to do it right, wait and enjoy her as she is...

If you want it done right... feel free to contact me about your project...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina or Paint my 57 Oval Reply with quote

patina or paint is an age-old query... both are nice... looks like you have both... way to go.
One time, I was participating at a local car show and the guy next to me had the shiniest black '62 big block Chevy SS, I ever saw. I felt bad for him though as he dusted it all day... I once had a sweet 1991 black Chevy S10 and that nice paint was a lot of work, to keep clean and pretty. I got up 15 minutes early every day and spent that time detailing it as to keep it shiny and beautiful...
... all that is fine and dandy, but there is more than one valid way to do everything... my '55 bug is somewhere in between, with an epoxy satin black paint... my '63 is patina and our '55 Messerschmitt was all pretty and shiny...
... appreciating all finishes is open minded... to me, that's most important... Again, for me, it has nothing to do with cost as I paint my own cars... it has everything to do with being open minded enough to appreciate everything.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina or Paint my 57 Oval Reply with quote

It's all opinion/preference. I think patina looks like crap, but for those that like it, great.

I'm also odd, because I like building/modifying them more than driving them...at least in the summer here in Texas. That's why my 54 is a toy, not my primary transportation

I also believe in doing things right the first time..no cheap paint jobs, fix rust/dents properly.

Good luck with your build whichever way you go
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw54john wrote:
What is this fascination with Patina that seems to have developed in the past however many years? Patina is a nicer way of saying "faded paint and rust". How many people would boast that they're still wearing the same underwear they bought in 1982, with all the stains and holes intact. They're WORN OUT. Patina=worn out. However, I understand that not everyone has the money and/or expertise to get an expert paint job done. And I also understand that not everybody wants one done - they just want to get in and drive and enjoy.

I know I've probably enraged some of the Patina fans out there. Sorry, but I'm allowed an opinion too.

53Ovalhead - your car is an awesome find. Had it been stored for awhile? The condition it's in, I'd bet yes. In our humid, east coast climate your car that little diamond in the rough is gonna start disintegrating at an alarming pace if you just start driving it every day and don't take care of that rust. See post # 3 to your question. Slalombuggy summed it up perfectly.

It might bleed over from other collectible items such as furniture especially, certain metal items, guns, coins, swords etc. so what this becomes is how far deteriorated is the item? On the far end of the spectrum you have severe rust and corrosion which if left untreated will eat the car like a cancer. On the other side you have lightly used, properly maintained but its all the shades of grey in between the two extremes. I saw one example of patina where generations of mice had pissed inside an A pillar causing complete destruction. This is an example of structural damage and could even be considered as a safety item. Commercial products are available to slow rust. These are used in salt water environments and in commercial aviation. Google the product Corban and Dinatrol. Do what you can to make sure the next generation has these cars to enjoy. You are actually just a caretaker.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: