Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

color mathced fender beading
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrcpatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: color mathced fender beading Reply with quote

hey guys, does anyone know if VW was using color matched fender beading as late as 76? I know they were color matched to 74 for sure, but what about the late models? I have found an original paint 76 line green, but it has black beading, and I am wondering if it came from the factory like that??

thanks

cp
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: color mathced fender beading Reply with quote

mrcpatty wrote:
hey guys, does anyone know if VW was using color matched fender beading as late as 76? I know they were color matched to 74 for sure, but what about the late models? I have found an original paint 76 line green, but it has black beading, and I am wondering if it came from the factory like that??

thanks

cp
Confused the only cars I have seen with color match beading(excluding paint over) is the pre 68 cars,, all 68 and newer ones iv ever seen had black or off wight
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: color mathced fender beading Reply with quote

vw_hank wrote:
mrcpatty wrote:

thanks

cp
Confused the only cars I have seen with color match beading(excluding paint over) is the pre 68 cars,, all 68 and newer ones iv ever seen had black or off wight

When I was a kid these cars where new, and had matching fender beading,
and I would agree that they came that way till '74 at least.
Honestly the first I noticed black beading was on the metallic paint jobs.
From the factory pictures it looks like solid colors got matching beading, ,metallic colors got black beading, Also it looks like convertibles got black beading
'72
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'73

'74

'75

'76

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: color mathced fender beading Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
vw_hank wrote:
mrcpatty wrote:

thanks

cp

When I was a kid these cars where new, and had matching fender beading,
and I would agree that they came that way till '74 at least.
Honestly the first I noticed black beading was on the metallic paint jobs.
From the factory pictures it looks like solid colors got matching beading, ,metallic colors got black beading, Also it looks like convertibles got black beading
'72

Nice pics Very Happy I dont dispute that thy had it, I just dont remember ever seeing it. even on OG paint cars I only remember seeing black. maybe that was A Huge thing in the 80's? rip out the color match and put in black? I dont know.. I know I was going to put blue on my car when I painted it, ordered the beading and when it showed up it was the most god offal puttered shade of blue I have ever seen in my life!!! so I went with black Wink
mrcpatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the information ach60 you nailed it, I am 57 and I had forgotten that the metallic paint cars did come with black beading, otherwise, all cars in solid colors, right through 1977 came with color matched. Thanks for the pics, they brought it all back to me.

I just located a low mile original 76 in metallic green paint, you know the ones, the owner tells me it is an original paint car, I can't see any sign of a re spray but the black beading threw me off, now I have it, once again thanks all. Love the VW community!!!

cp
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there everyone, all fender beadings were black from August 1974 (75 model) on. There were some special editions before which alsohad black fender beadings. Actually I am not sure abaout the metallic painted cars...
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

Everything that I have read states that black was the standard color of fender beading from the factory. If your car had colored beading, it was a dealer aftermarket option. Some dealers may have installed it without asking the customers, just as some put in a radio and some put undercoating on the cars before they went out on the lot.

It has been well documents that VW altered many of their publicity shots to make the cars as appealing as possible. So the cars in the ads could have either had matching fender beading installed, or "touched" up the ad to make it appear so.

My '68 beetle is all original and had black fender beading from the factory. It has dealer installed body colored running boards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the photo in the gallery it looks like your car has blue fender beadings.
It even has colormatching running boards, why should they have left the fender beadings out? Seriuosly,black fender beadings came not before the 1975 model when they tried to save every penny out of Beetle production.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have inserted that the PO had the fenders painted after a parking lot "incident" and they didn't do a good job. They just sprayed over the fender beadings. When you scrape off the paint, you can see the black underneath. And when you look at the underside of the fenders, you can see the black also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful though:
The beadings are only colored on the upper, thicker part, the rest (invisible part) of it is always black. So it is correct that you can srape of the co,lor on original beadings and that you see a black part on the underside of the fenders!!
My light blue 73 (bought new by my mother and visible on old family photos) and my sahara beige 74 definitely had colored beadings.
Look at this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1968_bug_french/15.jpg
Beadings definitely colormatching and original.
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A professional auto paint store will have an additive for paint to make it work well on the plastic beading and make it flexible. I fitted all mine, then hung it up and painted to color match the rest of the car.
Note: it will take it several days to dry well enough to handle it woithout a care.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: coloured fender beading Reply with quote

My all-original '68 Beetle came with beige fender beading and running board mats from the factory...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Bugshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to ask about the color beading today. I have a few books that show pics of the bodys being installed on the pans with matching beading. Only on the solid color cars (light blue, red ) I was wondering what years they did that..
banditwolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 73 SB was Marina blue and seems to be all black beading. I believe it is original as it has putty and paint over it and what is left looks bad & broken.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: