Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Q about this Powder coating gun...
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
abdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Q about this Powder coating gun... Reply with quote

Check out this gun:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42802

Is it a tool or a toy? How much does the actual paint (or should i say powder) goes for?

I would be interested in undercoating my bus & bug, maybe do some engine thin with it.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powder coating has to be baked on at 400 degrees to finish. Do you have an oven big enough to fit your chassis in?

Those home kits are OK for a few small parts that you can bake in your oven at home, But then again is your mother/wife/girlfriend going to let you bake your car parts in her oven? I think not.
abdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Those home kits are OK for a few small parts that you can bake in your oven at home, But then again is your mother/wife/girlfriend going to let you bake your car parts in her oven? I think not.

It couldn't be worse than the engine-head-on-the-dish-washer incident I had last year Rolling Eyes

How long does it needs to bake? Do you get nasty fumes during the baking process?
Rescue912
Ferdinand Sanford

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that gun and it works surpisingly well. I changed to a narrower tip (included) because the one that came on it spewed everywhere, very wide fan.

Friend of mine bought a house, didn't like the range so he bought a new stove and gave the old one to me. With the racks out I can get all the pieces of the engine tin ( not all at once! ) in it except the breast plate.

Definitely don't use the same oven you plan on cooking food in again. When the polyester gasses out it gets pretty bad - get a decent respirator and vent the oven well. Typical finishes flow out in about 20 minutes. The really nice part is once they are cool enough to touch you bolt them back on - no dry time.

You can get a bit better gun at hotcoat.com for under $100. Not much difference in them though.
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar one too and works well. I build my oven out of a couple toaster oven parts, big enough to coat a 21" rim. You can get specialized UV lamps to cure over sized parts as well.
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the harbor freight gun and the eastwood one. I've also used two different 5K dollar commercial guns. Obviously the 100 dollar guns don't spray near as well but for most simple stuff and limited hobbyist use they will get the job done. I actually prefer the harbor freight gun but there isn't a lot of difference. I just like the fact that you have a free hand instead of having to use both of them to spray a part. We did make a few modifications to the gun however. The first was to replace the puny ground clip with a good size heavy duty one for a couple bucks from radio shack. The second thing we did was took the tip completely off. As someone already mentioned the stock one just wastes powder.

As far as the oven is concern your best bet is to find a used convection oven as the temperature is far more consistent. I also recommend buying a cheaper thermometer to run in the oven to double check the accuracy of the thermocouple. A lot of those kitchen oven's aren't real accurate. It can save a lot of headaches in the long run. I wear a dust mask when I spray but don't wear a respirator. I don't even notice a smell. There really shouldn't be one unless the powder is being burnt.

Mike
59 single, 66 bug, 69 bus,73 super
summit powder coaters
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: