Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris roop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Points Reply with quote

Driving the 79 to work the other day, it all of a sudden seemed like it was running on 1 maybe 2 cylinders. I called Jane to haul me and AAA to haul the bus into the shop that built the engine about 200 miles ago. He quickly determined the problem. The point on the stationary part of the points set had broken off. I've never seen that before. Is this just a one in a million? I had him put Bosch points back in so I hope so.It does remind me that I need to get a set for the glove box.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen it but then I bought a stash of old stock bosch points for my 1977. There have been threads here where the rubbing block fails but sometimes I wonder if that is just someone forgot to keep the lobes lubed.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the fixed part of the points crack and bend. Not sure if it was Bosch or other manufacturer.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last July, I traveled with 5 other buses to Yellowstone from Indiana. 2 Vanagons, 1 splitty, 3 bays.

The splitty and 2 of the bays had 4, count them, 4 sets of Bosch points that broke at the rubbing block in less than a week. Thank goodness we had extra sets of points and extra dizzys (set up and ready to go).

There were 3 new sets of points available in Cody, Wyoming. We purchased all of them, just in case.

Parts quality just isnt what it used to be.
krautwaggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too experienced this problem with a set of Bosch points. They were lubed well. The off-brand points I replaced them with from Autozone couldn't break in the same manner, as the rubbing block was a hefty piece of plastic. I can't say much about the off-brand holding up to wear because I haven't driven the westy much since then.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krautwaggen wrote:
I too experienced this problem with a set of Bosch points. They were lubed well. The off-brand points I replaced them with from Autozone couldn't break in the same manner, as the rubbing block was a hefty piece of plastic. I can't say much about the off-brand holding up to wear because I haven't driven the westy much since then.

I also experienced the same problem last summer. On a 1600 mile trip I had two rub bars break off on Bosch points and then I got some other brand that had a nice thick rub bar that didn't break however, the rivits holding the rub bar became loose and it ran like crap.
Went with the fluted Bosch points and it seems to be doing great now.
Always kept them lubed, don't know why I had a bad run with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

01030: accept no substitutes. (aka: tiger stripe)

the 01011, $5.00 set of points you all are having problems with have always been shite...at least in the time that I've been buying points Wink
Micropassatman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:

the 01011, $5.00 set of points you all are having problems with have always been shite...at least in the time that I've been buying points Wink

When I used points I ONLY used the 01030's. Now I use a Crane XR3000. I've been points free since 1994.

Optical triggers, FTW!!!
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had this happen to me on my first trip in my bus. i dont remember the brand. when i was trying to diagnose why my bus just quit running i called a vw shop back home and he said one of the main causes of this is if you didnt grease the shaft on the distributor.

bout new points from a local FLAPS and it came with grease for the shaft. 1000 miles later, still no problems.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micropassatman wrote:
borninabus wrote:

When I used points I ONLY used the 01030's. Now I use a Crane XR3000. I've been points free since 1994.

Optical triggers, FTW!!!

when i used a dist that had 1pc points i used them too.
i use them exclusively on customer cars.

i use 2pc points now.
o19, FWIW Wink
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Bosch Points Reply with quote

Last edited by Tcash on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyman71 wrote:
Last July, I traveled with 5 other buses to Yellowstone from Indiana. 2 Vanagons, 1 splitty, 3 bays.

The splitty and 2 of the bays had 4, count them, 4 sets of Bosch points that broke at the rubbing block in less than a week. Thank goodness we had extra sets of points and extra dizzys (set up and ready to go).

There were 3 new sets of points available in Cody, Wyoming. We purchased all of them, just in case.

Parts quality just isnt what it used to be.

I remember talking to these folks at a rest stop and hearing about their rubbing block issues. I told them I have run Compufire since 1992 and have had no issues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Bosch Points Reply with quote

Whoops

Has anyone had a problem with the Bosch Points recently?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank You
Tcash

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3812869#3812869
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6504981#6504981
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6911925#6911925
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6990414#6990414
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bosch points began having build quality troubles....in my experience.....in the late 80's. They were building them all over the world.

I never had rubbing block issues but for a while.....virtually every set of Bosch points I found in a blister pack at my parts places....had one or more of several problems.

1. Looking at the points on end....the moving or fixed point was bent/ misaligned.....in one or more axes. This meant that there would be only an edge for the moving point pad in actual contact with the fixed point pad. If you dont notice and rebend one point or the other to set it square....the point burns rapidly at the narrow edge contact.

2. The above problem....noticeably caused by misshapen plastic bearing at the pivot point....and not anything being bent pon the arm of the moving point or fixed point bracket.

3. A high spot in the center of one of the point pads caused by noticeable overheating of the fusion/induction spot welding of the pad to the bracket....unfixable except with filing.

I remember one particular period of time....either 1988-89 or could be just a little later.....when I had huge issues with points. Went down to one of the bigger and better parts dealers in Oklahoma City (Kerr Automotive....still the best and like Candy Land inside).....bought a pair of Bosch points...popped open the blister pack on the counter right there....inspected and found at least two of the above defects.

The owner of the store took one look and said...."those wont work...sorry, let me get you another pair".....one by one we pulled down the remnants of an entire "sheet"of blister packs that were attached as one card hanging on the wall behind the counter.....about eight of them.....and they were all defective.

He took them all and put them in a box to send back to the mfg. He dug out another sheet of blister packs and the first set off were fine.

From that point on I started using "blue streak" points from Standard ignition components. If you must use points.....use those.

Larger point pads, glass smooth a parallel, copper bracket, lubricant wick, larger pivot bushing, nylon alloy rubbing block, stiffer spring.

http://www.opelgtsource.com/store/6000/6042B.html

As the Blue Streak got hard to find in the pre-internet days...I went to Pertronix and never looked back.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first shop I worked at just out of high school in 1978 was essentially a VW and Porsche Transmission shop But we also offered engine rebuilds and general service as well. We used Bosch ignition parts exclusively on all tune ups and engine rebuilds.

There was a point (around '81-'82) where we started to see more failures and come backs due to faulty points. Though we got our parts from what was consider at the time a reputable parts wholesaler the shop owner decided to get the Bosch customer service rep involved. This was done to confirm or deny our suspicions that the faulty points we were installing were counterfeits.

Turns out they were. At the time we could identify them by the color of the plastic used at the pivot bushing (white instead of grey) and the cam tab was plastic as well instead of a phenolic material like it should have been.

So be advised that this sort of thing goes on and has been going on for decades. the most common ones I had come across were what I refer to as Bosch 044 points. (Like the ones shown in previous posts.) So I long gave up on those and went to using the Bosch 092 points instead.

The 092 points are what came in the German and I think early Brazilian 009 distributors. These points were made with a stiffer return spring for higher revs and are identified by the white stripes on the lead wire.

044 and 092 points are interchangeable so the 092 points will work in dizzys with vacuum advance that use the 044. In fact many times when I still ran 009 dizzys on my cars and I would buy points, the parts man behind the counter would always hand me a set of 044's. I would always politely correct him and try to get the 092's. But after awhile many parts stores stopped carrying them and only offered the 044 points. (The 092 points cost more.)

After that I would scower the shows and swapmeets for them. One time I scored 8 of them still in the tear-off one at a time packaging. I snapped them up I think I used up half before I went to a Pertronix on both of my buses

Bottom line here is beware of counterfeits.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the period of time I listed above....I found the same issues with 092 points as well....just not nearly as frequently.

In general from looking at packaging, the differences were not a counterfeit issue.....but wimply where they making them. Some were made in Mexico and in Brazil. Ray
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since i was in this thread last time bosch has discontinued the 01030 points.
the other ones that are available (for 009 dist) are still shit.

i use BREMI points in the customer cars now.
69rulz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cheap aftermarket set of points burn up where they tap together, after a better quality set it never happened again, same thing, sounded like it was running on a couple cylinders.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch Points Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

My neighbor's 64 bus was running very poorly recently after a long trip. Losing power, running rough, etc. He went to do a long overdue tune up, and that is what his points looked like. One of the pucks had transferred to the other side. Runs much better with a fresh set, but still not great. I think he has some internal engine issues. No idea what brand of points he used, as he never writes anything down. He had no idea how long it had been since his last oil change/valve adjust. He just drives it in blissful ignorance. Laughing
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I know it may be heresy but now I use the Echlin? points from NAPA. Of the last three sets of Big B's I used, 2 sets were totally misaligned and 1 busted off the rub block in a week. The parts jock thought I was breakin' 'em puttin' 'em in.
So far; so good.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: