Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 motor mystery ? no oil psi to stock sender for light
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
F1CHRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: 356 motor mystery ? no oil psi to stock sender for light Reply with quote

Hello - Trying to help a buddy out. Long story short. 356C motor was rebuilt by a reputable shop and was full-flowed. motor sat for 15 years. starts and runs fine. good pressure on the oil lines to and from the oil filter. he was installing a new wiring harness and got around to the oil light - which he could not make go out. finally he unscrewed the stock sender and says that it is bone dry. I believe he even told me that he started the motor and it has no oil. (need to confirm that) that is when he felt the oil lines and he popped off a valve cover which had plenty of oil in it. like I said motor runs and drives fine. how can that be ? could it have to do when the motor was full-flowed ?

1964 Notchback 1500S (2110cc)
2004 Mexican Beetle (last year air-cooled)
Mid-engine Sandrail (2386cc T1 w/ 48 Dells)
mtwrench540
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: oil pressure Reply with quote

check that "w" looking device,remove it and make sure it is clear,then crack engine to see if oil is coming out of block! i should have been more clear, it is behind dist to left!
87 wolfsberg,74 181w/1915 and lots of patina! learned to fix vw's from hot vw mag in 1964,VWOA instructor,DSM,69 to73,service mgr at different porsche-audi dealers etc,etc,now retired!!! first vw new 64,transplanted 356 eng in 65,400characters are not enough space!!
F1CHRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for the reply. I guess this qualifys for a knucklehead move. Finally went down to the shop that built the motor and talked to one of the old guys and looked at a block and motor and realized that somebody had screwed a stock VW oil psi sender into the return hole for the stock oil filter (which this motor has no more, any of that can or oil lines), because it is full-flowed right out of the oil pump and back into the side of the block. So, problem solved, crisis over, all is good. Very Happy
Thanks again !

1964 Notchback 1500S (2110cc)
2004 Mexican Beetle (last year air-cooled)
Mid-engine Sandrail (2386cc T1 w/ 48 Dells)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: