Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Engines Vs. VW Engines
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

So, which is best?
Subaru Engine
42%
 42%  [ 114 ]
Type 1
38%
 38%  [ 103 ]
Type 4
19%
 19%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 271

emberblade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Subaru Engines Vs. VW Engines Reply with quote

I've been looking around the site for some information on my planned project VW and it made me think. At first, my sights were set on extreme horsepower out of the type 1 engine, but recently I've seen that the Subaru engine conversion and had to wonder if it was a good route for a high performance vw.

My thoughts are this: A Vw owner has 3 generally accepted choices when powering a type 1. The Type 1 engine, modified to the extreme and cylinders bored paper thin. The Type 4 engine, modified to a similar state, but generally accepted as a more reliable engine. Finally, the Subaru swap, which isn't exactly a bolt on application, but it's possible. I know there are other engines that convert for the bug, but these are what I am most familiar and comfortable with. Actually, the Subaru engine is my least favorite, being that it isn't as easy to work with and frankly is less fun to look at.

Keeping in mind the power differences between the 3, and also the weight differences between them, which powerplant supplies the best power to weight ratio?

How much does each engine weigh approximately, with all the necessary bits to make them run? The Subaru needs a radiator, etc, etc.

Which engine is best? Any input accepted.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Engines Vs. VW Engines Reply with quote

emberblade wrote:
I've been looking around the site for some information on my planned project VW and it made me think.

Is it still VW if it doesn't have a air cooled VW engine in it?

My answer doesn't matter, but yours does.

Something to think about. Think

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you aiming for? bang for buck the subi conversion, type 4 for longevity and AC coolness, T1 for.......well why do we build T1's? Laughing

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Engines Vs. VW Engines Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
emberblade wrote:
I've been looking around the site for some information on my planned project VW and it made me think.

Is it still VW if it doesn't have a air cooled VW engine in it?

My answer doesn't matter, but yours does.

Something to think about. Think

That's always been my take too.
If you want to drive a Subaru then get one, if you want a VW then get one.
Me I like my VW's for what they are, and how they are made, the smell of the interior, and the clacking of the old air cooled engine.
I just don't see the the point in building a Vwbaru.
Having said that the bottom line is simple, the subaru engine has many years of modern technology and advancements in it. AC VW's are much older and lack that. Nothing more to it really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manoa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with SRP1 Applause

Never had a thought of reading a subi forum, I'm her for the VW Logo

(o\ ! /o)
-----
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manoa wrote:
I'm with SRP1

X2.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love when someone asks, 'what's in that car?' expecting something fantastic, and it's 'just' a warmed-out Bug motor afterall. But for longevity's sake, Subaru, hands-down...It'll be a miracle if I can afford to pay for oil changes in all my cars in five years....Flat tappet engines are getting rather expensive to maintain...water is cheap.
'73 Bay
(2) '77's
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I drive a type one and a Subaru. Like them both.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
manxmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it's a matter of taste.

If it was my car it would have to be a T1 VW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are concerned with weight, then that rules out the subi right there. The T1 has an engine case that you can pick up and wave over your head with one hand, and how thick the cylinders are depends on which displacement you go with. The 1776 and 2110 both have decent wall thickness, but even a 1584 can make decent power if tuned properly.

For the best compromise between long life and weight, some have said that the type 4 would be the best bet, but if it were mine, my order of preference would be type 1, type 4 conversion, subi conversion.

Paul
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your an 'engine guy", consider that type-1, type-4 or WBX could all be made to make a lot of power. But the subi is already done
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all in the character of the car and the overall goal. I have a 6 hour flight Wednesday and I'll use this topic for the basis of an article.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emberblade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I don't want a Subaru engine really, just a curiosity, especially seeing how powerful they seem. The weight, however, makes them less interesting, especially with it all hanging off the rear end like that. I don't just do straight lines when I drive. Plus, I wanted it to be a Bug, or at least look like one, even in the engine compartment. And I suppose that in the end, it isn't REALLY a bug anymore after that kind of surgery.

I like the Type 1 for the lightweight package, but the Type 4 seems to be a better base for further modification, even if it involves experimentation instead of going with perscribed modifications to the block and components.

So it seems the Samba has spoken, and the Subaru engine should be left to the Subaru. (Especially given the level of bodywork needed to make it look even slightly stock again after you're done with the conversion).

My plan has always been to create a super powerful sleeper, so this is good stuff to think about.
emberblade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm leaning toward a 3119cc Type 4 engine at the moment, but I still like the Type 1, so I'm not sure.

I want to build a giant killer bug. 200hp is like my baseline reading for consideration. That's what makes me lean more towards the Type 4, because I think it will hold up better than a Type 1 over time. The Subaru is really powerful, but while it makes 300 something hp, it is heavy and moves the center of gravity back. Sad The bug won't drive the same way again.

I know these engines are highly volatile at best, so that's why I'm thinking about durability before anything else.... With a close second to Horsepower, of course. Twisted Evil
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What heads? displacement is useless without a set of heads that can match it
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's like saying which era is better: The 1950's or the 1980's. Depends on when and where you grew up. I'm sorry but this topic is ridiculous. Rolling Eyes
KopfenJager
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a suby fan here. See a lot of rails with them, but those rails weigh twice what mine does so there engines need twice the power I do. V8 rails are nice for the suspension as are the subies, but there are a lot of places the just can't go that I can. If I can get down a sand shoot and turn around I can get out, a lot of subies and V8 can't, they just weigh too much, again they need twice the tire and engine.

In a car I think its just too much, upgrade to trany to handle the power equals extra weight. bracing to handle the power and extra trany weight, equals more weight. All on the ass end. Its like pinto guys bragging about there weelies, when you can lift there front ends with a pinky. Just doesnt seem like well balanced package.

I run a VW cause its a VW and when you learn how to make em work, they work. Go turbo, easy to get 200hp with a moderate turbo kit, without all the conversion hassle and extra weight.
qwerty8669
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking about the subie swap into a bus
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO V8 dude Twisted Evil

Id go rotary!! (can you say RX7?) If I wasn't A VW guy Wink

seen A baja once with A old pinto motor, he could pop A welly just by dropping the clutch,, not giving it any gas Laughing
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emberblade wrote:
Yea, I don't want a Subaru engine really, just a curiosity, especially seeing how powerful they seem. The weight, however, makes them less interesting, especially with it all hanging off the rear end like that. I don't just do straight lines when I drive. Plus, I wanted it to be a Bug, or at least look like one, even in the engine compartment. And I suppose that in the end, it isn't REALLY a bug anymore after that kind of surgery.

I like the Type 1 for the lightweight package, but the Type 4 seems to be a better base for further modification, even if it involves experimentation instead of going with perscribed modifications to the block and components.

So it seems the Samba has spoken, and the Subaru engine should be left to the Subaru. (Especially given the level of bodywork needed to make it look even slightly stock again after you're done with the conversion).

My plan has always been to create a super powerful sleeper, so this is good stuff to think about.

You should really do some research and talk to people who have actually done the conversion before coming out with crap like that cos half of that is baloney.

Geez anyone would swear these engine were 20000kg heavier than a VW the way people on here ramble on.

Mine's less than 25kg heavier than my 1776.
I lose that sort of weight after a morning shit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: