Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pressure on the Compressor regulator vs. at the gun
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigturkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Pressure on the Compressor regulator vs. at the gun Reply with quote

When using my cheapo compressor and HVLP gun, I have the pressure on the tank reading about 40-50 PSI, what pressure is that at the gun? Is that Right? The CFM is low and that's where it shoots the best
faster-laster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my hvlp gun has a regulator inline right before the gun with a pressure gauge, so I can further adjust the pressure after it drops in the air line leading to the gun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what ever the manufactures specs say then adjust it at that pressure at the regulator.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faster-laster wrote:
my hvlp gun has a regulator inline right before the gun with a pressure gauge, so I can further adjust the pressure after it drops in the air line leading to the gun.

thats the better way... leave the reg at the compressor turned up all the way and after the pressure drop at the end of the hose... use a small reg with guage to set it right at the gun.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigturkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

well, when I adjust the gun per the paint specs, it just splatters out and has horrible atomization. Is that a result of too little CFM?
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly we cant tell unless you find out what the minimum cfm is needed for the gun. and how much cfm your compressor produces usually at 90 psi.
kingd33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not be enough pressure, The paint store told me to crank my pressure up to 25 lbs. at the gun. It made a huge difference,of course my gun is a cheap one (siphon feed).The only problem I had at first was moisture from the tank being too small.
bigturkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

here's the deal, I want to know if investing the extra mone in a HVLP gun is worth it when my compressor can't match the specs. Will this gun still atomize better and give me a better finsih overall than my cheaper gun? Basically, if you were to compare a Sata NR2000 at 40 psi to my husky gun at 40psi with 6.5 cfm, the sata would still be more efficent and have better atomization?
BIG MAC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the right amount of air any gun will spray like crap. You need continuous pressure to maintain atomization and with the CFM rating of your compressor, it won't hold up for long with a Sata or anything else that uses the same amount of air. If you are willing to shell out the kind of bucks it takes to buy a Sata, you might want to check into an Iwata gun. They are also pretty spendy but they are a LVLP type gun and only use about 7 CFM
Bklyn63
Samba Mafioso

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys need to tell us how much cfm your compressor is putting out. we cant tell you what to use unless that info is known.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: