Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what are these plastic things on my case bolts?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
groovydoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: what are these plastic things on my case bolts? Reply with quote

Hey y'all, I've been doin a lot of reading in tom wilsons book but I can not find a description of a particular piece. This piece is a plastic sleeve that fits over the biggest engine bolts, I didn't receive any new ones with my gasket kit and I'm just wondering if I need to replace them
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are case isolators and yes you do need them.

Sendd the gasket set back and buy the elring set. They should have them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: what are these plastic things on my case bolts? Reply with quote

groovydoobie wrote:
Hey y'all, I've been doin a lot of reading in tom wilsons book but I can not find a description of a particular piece. This piece is a plastic sleeve that fits over the biggest engine bolts, I didn't receive any new ones with my gasket kit and I'm just wondering if I need to replace them

In the spirit of learning about your bus, the biggest bolts are known as the case bolts or main bearing bolts, and the plastic stripy sleeves are known as dampers. They prevent the main bearing bolts from vibrating through their long long journey from one side of the case over to the other.
What brand gasket kit did you buy, and was the plastic wrap intact at time of purchase?
Colin
groovydoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the one from bus depot, and to say the least I'm pissed it didn't come with them. I remmember the brand name bieng victor reinze (german) so wtf how come I didn't get all the parts I needed from a german manufacturer
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the VR type 4 kits I have gotten have the nylon pieces in them. Type 1 cases use a rubber o-ring.

you can see here on Ratwell part FF about 10:00

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/GasketSet.html
groovydoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this from the reinze set? I called bus depot when I first got it and confirmed the numbers on the outside before I opened it(because it voids the return policy). So my question now is, does the reinze set come with dampeners for the type 4 gasket set or do I have a type 1 gasket set???
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovydoobie wrote:
Is this from the reinze set? I called bus depot when I first got it and confirmed the numbers on the outside before I opened it(because it voids the return policy). So my question now is, does the reinze set come with dampeners for the type 4 gasket set or do I have a type 1 gasket set???

Do the parts all match what you see in that image? That IS a VR T4 set. The gaskets E and phenolic spacers EE should be a dead give away as T1 don't have that style. Also W is the steel flywheel lock for the bolts and T1 don't have that either.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: gasket set missing parts? Reply with quote

Bus Depot only list 2 gasket sets for TYPE4 engines

Look at your reciept for part # maybe they shipped the wrong gasket
set. Sad

021 198 009 B $ 62.17 FOR 1700 engine no crank or fan seal

029 198 009 $ 77.73 for 2000 engine
groovydoobie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright well they did forget it then=S this is the weird thing the seal set has this number printed on it:01-21925-03 then writen underneath that in pen is:021-198-009b so what's the printed number mean...seriously bus depot wtf. I'm not even going to call and complain I tried and they said the reinz set doesn't come with it so that's a lie. Also because I live in freakn oregon and that's at least a week in shipping. Ef it ill go pay 6 bucks sumwhere else and not get a gasket set from bus depot agin.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: