Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nearly had a fire.
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Nearly had a fire. Reply with quote

Just had this unusual experience.

Opened the bonnet of my 412, and soon afterwards there was smoke. Coming from a piece of carpet.

At first i was confused, as the battery was disconnected at the time. Then saw the upside down hub cap. It was concentrating the hot sun rays onto the carpet, like a magnifying glass.

Seems the 412 hub cap has a near perfect parabolic dish shape. (Except for the part with the VW logo).

Cleaned inside of the hub cap and tried concentrating the sun's rays onto a piece of newspaper. Newspaper was burning within seconds. Wonder how many fires started this way, and people afterwards never realized what had happened?
Type4ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strangest story I ever read about a type 4.
Come live in Holland, today it was in this area -20 C at night.
The last time when that was happen't was in 1968. (the same year as the 411 arrived!!)
During the day the sun was shining, but it was freezing cold!!

We need the heater for sure. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ton
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this happened, it was around midday and temperature in the 30's (Celsius). Here in the southern hemisphere it is mid summer at the moment.
Temperature seldom reaches below freezing here during winter, although up in the mountains and higher altitude places it can get very cold and snow.

By the way, the 411/412 was also locally built in South Africa. (It replaced the type 3 in 69).
The fuel operated heater was never available locally, not even as an option. The standard heat exchangers was the only source of heat. Think air conditioning was never available as as an option. However, there was a choice between basic version with carbs, or "LE" with D-jetronic. The 1800 was not available. The 1700 was used for all models until 1975. Like Europe, manual transmission was most popular on all versions, including station wagon, with optional automatics mainly used by elderly women and handicapped people.
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics Ton! I have never seen these before.

Dawie, that has to be a a chance of 1/1000000 for something like that to happen! I've heard some forrest fires may have gotten starded by a broken bottles' bottom so in right conditions everythings possible. Glad you noticed it before anything bad happened. Usually the reason these cars get into flames is bad fuel lines on injected models or on the auxiliary heater.
Type4ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lahti411 wrote:

Quote:
Great pics Ton! I have never seen these before.

I'm also (I became Chicken-skin when I saw them for the first time!!), but last summer I bought the complete 1971 Type 4 Eberspacher-training voor VW-dealermechanics. Razz
And also the complete training for the D-Jetronic Type 3 and 4.
Totally more than 150 pics.

Lucky for me in Dutch. Wink
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type4ever wrote:
Come live in Holland, today it was in this area -20 C at night.

Ouch, -20,0 must be terrible for Holand with the sea so close. Not that I want to be "worse" but we had -40,0C thist Saturday morning, the second coldest ever. Thought of starting my 412 which is stored in a barn, just to prove the D-jet's good cold starting ability but realized that I had summer oil in it...

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures, from the looks of them you would actually think that the heater would roast your. Too bad that VW didn't use large enough channels to have sufficient air flow to get all that heat forward.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: