Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kadron Solex carbs vs Weber ICT's
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air Simple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Kadron Solex carbs vs Weber ICT's Reply with quote

Im getting interested in a dual carb setup for my Bug. I had Kadrons and webers back in the 70's but havent messed with Dual carbs in a long time. I just wanted to see some comments of the pros and cons of each. Let me give a guideline of what Im comparing. A Weber ICT kit form Cb Performance w/chokes vs A rebushed set of kadrons from Jeff at Kaddie shack. I know I will opt for the better linkage in ethier case. Tell me you stories-Any help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air Simple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: No Response's? Reply with quote

Surely Some one must have used ethier one of the listed kits. Any comments pro or con?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you're running a 1641? What distributor are you using?
Air Simple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a petronix SVDA vacumn distributor. The engine is a 1600 DP.
the-jerm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM'd ya Wink
Turdmucklydunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going through the same dilemma and have asked many people the same question. Guess what, you almost always get a different answer from every person. One of the people that was suggested to me was Lyle Cherry who raced VW's for many years and has a shop about 12 miles from where I live. He had his opinions but suggested I get a hold of CB performance. So I did. I figured why not ask someone that sells different carbs everyday and also knows what customers complain about or don't and also hears from them of what works great. I talked with Aaron at CB and have decided to go with dual Weber ICT's for my engine set up. A few more hundred dollars saved and all my parts and carbs will be on there way. Can't wait!
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

run a zeniths or dells

kads & icts suck
Turdmucklydunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shane red wrote:
run a zeniths or dells

kads & icts suck

Ok, so give me your opinion. 1776 with a 110 cam. I would prefer to have brand new carbs. Give me details because I know almost nothing about carbs, such as size. I want something that will give me plenty of get up and go but still be able to get descent fuel mileage.
Turdmucklydunn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turdmucklydunn wrote:
shane red wrote:
run a zeniths or dells

kads & icts suck

Ok, so give me your opinion. 1776 with a 110 cam. I would prefer to have brand new carbs. Give me details because I know almost nothing about carbs, such as size. I want something that will give me plenty of get up and go but still be able to get descent fuel mileage.

And using 40 by 35 heads with single heavy duty springs.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would run properly set up dual dells 40s or 36s, hands down the best carbs as far as performance, & reliability. Get the right vents, the right jets & you will be happy. like the v8 scene, the kads, & the icts are the shiney new edlebrocks sitting on every single 350/350 in the damn car show. The dells are like the double pumper which usually only resides on more thought out, more usable & finer detailed set up. You can really tune the hell out of them & they will out perform any other carb because of it.
Air Simple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect Shane. Ive been down the road before. I go back to Mid 70's with VWs. Raced at Bug Ins back in the day and have owned many sets of carbs, dcnfs, IDAs,KAds. Im just trying to get a current prospective from people who are running them everyday. I really dont have the urge to break transaxles anymore or waste rubber. I just want a smooth running set of carbs with minimal tweaking, good mileage. Thats it in a nutshell. Dels are excellant carbs, but I have no interest in finding a used set,rebuilding them,tweaking them etc. I hope you understand.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then stick with a single carb. ICT's and Kads are what they are, cheap carbs that you will most likely have to fiddle with on a regular basis. I've had Kadron's, ICT's, baby dell 34's, Weber 40's and Dell 36's. I won't mess with dual singles anymore, but even the baby dells are better than kads and ICT's. I'd find some dell 36's and dial them in. way better in the long run
Snipley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in the same boat, looking to switch to duels. Thinking of going with either of the ICT or kads. I'm also running a stock 1600 dp. I want something that will work if i go to 1776 in the future. Everyone has a different opinion. Also I have to be able to tune them myself as there are not many vw tuners in Ontario, Canada. Which one to pick?
tom petersen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Kadrons or? Reply with quote

Ran dual Kadrons out of the box for 4 years with Kadron linkage, with no problems. Took car off the road and did body off rebuild. Three years later shipped Kadrons to Jeff Lain for rebuild/rebush. Got the Scat linkage as well. Motor 1641, 009 distributor with compufire module, dual quiet power exhaust. Fast service from Jeff, carbs worked well right away. Only tuning chore was getting them balanced. Jeff will port them for vacuum advance as well. Jeff has instructions on his site for tuning and installation. Car starts easily, no clue as to mileage. Never have checked. Very driveable. Definitely a mundane choice, but still happy with them, just my opinion.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air Simple wrote:
With all due respect Shane. Ive been down the road before. I go back to Mid 70's with VWs. Raced at Bug Ins back in the day and have owned many sets of carbs, dcnfs, IDAs,KAds. Im just trying to get a current prospective from people who are running them everyday. I really dont have the urge to break transaxles anymore or waste rubber. I just want a smooth running set of carbs with minimal tweaking, good mileage. Thats it in a nutshell. Dels are excellant carbs, but I have no interest in finding a used set,rebuilding them,tweaking them etc. I hope you understand.

you'll end up "tweaking" the other carbs even more. dells you set up once.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: