Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nazis in Space with a KDF Wagen
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Nazis in Space with a KDF Wagen Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Today in Der Spiegel:
It's 2018, and an American space mission discovers that there's a huge colony of Nazis on the dark side of the moon, living in a swastika-shaped castle and bent on invading Earth. The comedy 'Iron Sky' has proved a surprise hit at the Berlin Film Festival. Part of the funding comes from German taxpayers.

science fiction comedy about a secret Nazi space colony that has taken over the dark side of the moon has become one of the hottest tickets at the Berlin Film Festival.

In the film, "Iron Sky," American astronaut James Washington (played by Christopher Kirby) parks his Lunar Lander too close to the Nazi base. This prompts Moon Führer (Udo Kier) to decide that it's time to conquer Earth.

The Führer and his band of Nazis formed a colony on the Moon following the Nazi defeat in 1945. They've been waiting for the right time to invade Earth and establish the Fourth Reich.

The US president (Stephanie Paul), who looks like Sarah Palin, relishes the prospect of a fight.

The film, which is set in 2018, is directed by Finnish director Timo Vuorensola and produced by his company Energia Productions. It premieres in Germany on April 4. Vuorensola's first feature film, "Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning" drew hundreds of thousands of fans via Youtube.

Money for Iron Sky came not only from German government film development grants, especially from the state of Hesse, but via the Internet through crowdfunding. The producers reportedly amassed some €1 million ($1.32 million) from Internet fans, who are now likely to profit from the movie's success. Internet sponsors were also able to offer their script ideas.

It's maybe more than ironic that at the Berlin festival -- long known for its ambitious politically-motivated films, a low budget Nazi comedy has grabbed the headlines.

But critics were less thrilled. The Hollywood Reporter said the movie is "uneven, its humor never quite matching the luster of its visuals."

Variety said while the movie is an immediate box office winner, "the final product is much more amusing in theory than in execution." Still, the film "can count on support from its small army of fan investors, but otherwise, poor word of mouth may sabotage its plans for world domination."
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh!, worked for "The Producers"

Link

Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Nazis in Space with a KDF Wagen Reply with quote

Antonio Trejo wrote:
The comedy 'Iron Sky' has proved a surprise hit at the Berlin Film Festival.

I thought I read that in Germany you cannot sell or show anything relating to Nazi propaganda, including movies, books etc. Yet this has government funding??????

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Nazis in Space with a KDF Wagen Reply with quote

ovalteen wrote:
Antonio Trejo wrote:

I thought I read that in Germany you can sell or show anything relating to Nazi propaganda, including movies, books etc. Yet this has government funding??????

You are right: Nazi propaganda, such as the swastika and Hitler salute, are banned in Germany, but may be this film was labeled as "art".
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Nazis in Space with a KDF Wagen Reply with quote

ovalteen wrote:
Antonio Trejo wrote:

I thought I read that in Germany you can sell or show anything relating to Nazi propaganda, including movies, books etc. Yet this has government funding??????

It's very complicated.
What you read is a myth based on half-truths.

I went to plenty of shows that had vintage "propaganda" for sale quite openly.

Basically it depends on how it is being used, displayed, and interpreted.

Again, even the left and right have to have the gov't mediate some of those disputes and it often falls on the Burgermeister at the locale regarding usage and interpretation.

You know that movies like Valkerie were filmed in all the red white and black glory on location around town including even my own house and yard there in Zehlandorf.

Don't believe everything you "hear".
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Nazis in Space with a KDF Wagen Reply with quote

Antonio Trejo wrote:
ovalteen wrote:
Antonio Trejo wrote:

You are right: Nazi propaganda, such as the swastika and Hitler salute, are banned in Germany, but may be this film was labeled as "art".

Again.... Only half true.
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ironsky.net/

The trailor is epic! This looks as good as "Rubber". Laughing

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta see that. Probably too highbrow for Arizona, though.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitch the idea to Mel Brooks. This sounds like something that would appeal to him. In fact when I read the title of this thread, I thought he was involved. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow it looks like they spent some $ on that film Shocked I may have to check it out.

I thought the Swastica was forbotin to show-seen at all in Germany?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

It's complicated as only Germans can make things complicated. Basically you're right, but there are exceptions. This sort of explains it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_%C2%A7_86a

So you can't display a swastika, or anything else that represents a swastika unless your use falls under this exception:

Quote:
Subsection (1) shall not be applicable if the means of propaganda or the act serves to further civil enlightenment, to avert unconstitutional aims, to promote art or science, research or teaching, reporting about current historical events or similar purposes. […]

Now things are changing, and the Germans are a lot less strict about this than they were 20 years ago. If it weren't for the fact that they have a real problem with Neo-Nazis (who would obviously love to have unrestricted use of the old symbols), it would probably be even looser than it is.

The big debate right now is whether to allow Mein Kampf to be sold in bookstores in Germany.

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20120126-40341.html

Like I said, Germans love to complicate things. I mean, they just allowed one of the original Star Trek episodes (where Kirk and Spock dress up as Nazis) to be shown on German TV. That only took them 43 years:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2057908/Ge...ilmed.html

Last edited by coad on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Wow it looks like they spent some $ on that film Shocked I may have to check it out.

it's verboten and swastika

Wink

looks fun,.. beats the shit outta zombies and vampires that sparkle.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted a crude trailer of Iron Sky about a year ago. If nothing else the movie looks interesting and entertaining as a science fiction..... Thats what movies are supposed to be.
Its a very raw topic and subject, I doubt it going to be found favorable by everyone.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I think Iron Sky is to be released tommorow.
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Nazis must have been continuously improving the Beetle on the moon as well. That's not a KDF Wagen any more.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its called "progressive refinements"
Laughing

Im sure it wasnt in the movies budget to get the real deal.
Usually and often edited
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for this film for a long time!! Cool
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: