Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the best cylinderheads?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredriktak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: What is the best cylinderheads? Reply with quote

I`m thinking of new cyl heads, and what i have learned there is a LOT of diffrent brands, witch brands/heads should i avoid? And who are the heads for sligty tuned 1600

They will be putted on my light polished dp 1600. want a head that will go on for many miles, in a 1600. that will have revlimiter @5500rpm. more then max rpm its daily street driven car, wo rarly will see redline mark.

Autolea have i got the impression that is no good?

best, strongest? not nessesairly the cheapest.. since i wanna drive the car, not repair cus i have been trying to save some money..

Be cheap and u will be sorry... have always been my experience when i tries to save money, in the end i have payed more then the better ones..

thanks all! really hoping for some good answers.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your engine could use the "L3" type head. Stock valve size, 35.5 x 32mm, HD single valve springs, slightly bigger or mildly massaged ports, multi-angle valve job, perhaps some chamber work:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Stocker-Plus-Dual-Port-Cylinder-Heads-35-X-32-p/l3-heads-pair.htm

http://www.drdracingheads.com/xcart/DRD-35.5X32mm-Performance-head.html

These are Chinese based castings. Quality shouldn't be an issue as DRD and AC.Net offer good parts they will stand behind. One alternative is to go with MOFOCO 040 heads which are made in the USA and have them upgrade the heads to "L3" specs.

http://www.mofoco.com/category/VW_Performance_Heads/c52
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
Fredriktak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you! Awesome reading, many thanks.

anyone who have bought the chinese base castings?
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best cylinderheads? Reply with quote

Fredriktak wrote:
I`m thinking of new cyl heads, and what i have learned there is a LOT of diffrent brands, witch brands/heads should i avoid? And who are the heads for sligty tuned 1600

They will be putted on my light polished dp 1600. want a head that will go on for many miles, in a 1600. that will have revlimiter @5500rpm. more then max rpm its daily street driven car, wo rarly will see redline mark.

Autolea have i got the impression that is no good?

best, strongest? not nessesairly the cheapest.. since i wanna drive the car, not repair cus i have been trying to save some money..

Be cheap and u will be sorry... have always been my experience when i tries to save money, in the end i have payed more then the better ones..

thanks all! really hoping for some good answers.

Since you're from Sweden, why not contact Johannes Persson? I'm running a set of his MS230 heads...a hi-po head that runs as cool as stock. If you want to truly "drive" your car, then they're worth consideration:

http://www.jpmotorsports.se/products

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the best cylinderheads? Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
Fredriktak wrote:
...heads for slighty tuned 1600...
Since you're from Sweden, why not contact Johannes Persson? I'm running a set of his MS230 heads...a hi-po head that runs as cool as stock. If you want to truly "drive" your car, then they're worth consideration.

Really? Rolling Eyes

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Yup, those MS230's look like they will work REAL good on a stock 1600!!
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the CFE heads, but dont think they do any for these vw's.the losponchos cnc heads from cb would probably work good on that small motor.or the mofoco's
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: heads Reply with quote

Fredriktak,

I should have mentioned that Johannes also works on other cylinder heads, so if you contact him he should be able to set you up with some appropriate heads if you want to stay with a 1600.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Fredriktak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: heads Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
Fredriktak,

I should have mentioned that Johannes also works on other cylinder heads, so if you contact him he should be able to set you up with some appropriate heads if you want to stay with a 1600.

thanks, i will give him a call. Smile
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a thread regarding the new china casting.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488214

It seems there are at least two castings on the market now, the ones in the first pic in the thread above and the "043" clone that Steve Timms is now using (shown later in the thread).

Just to let you know, Autolinea is the OEM foundry that supplied VW with their castings AND currently supplies CB performance with their "044" casting which is based on the original VW factory racing head or the "041".

Autolineas G03 casting is the same as the original 041 casting but has 40x35 valves instead of the original 39x32 that VW used.

Mofoco has heads made in the USA of various sizes.

My recommendation would be the VW casting that CB still sells called the banditio

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1470

or panchito if you want a bit more power

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1794

Nothing beats a real VW casting for cooling
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 044 casting today has evolved significantly, I have OE 041 heads and there is not much similarity between 044 and 041.

I agree the mexico 043 heads have been the best replacement for the old OE heads, that are no longer made. But the 043 mexico is supposedly out of production too. get em quick before they run out! Or have some low mileage used heads rebuilt
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthWeber wrote:
Sounds like your engine could use the "L3" type head. Stock valve size, 35.5 x 32mm, HD single valve springs, slightly bigger or mildly massaged ports, multi-angle valve job, perhaps some chamber work:

This valve size with mildly massaged ports works well with a 1600. You get good port velocity and decent low RPM torque, but it will still take you to 5k when you want to wind it out.

Paul
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
I started a thread regarding the new china casting.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488214

It seems there are at least two castings on the market now, the ones in the first pic in the thread above and the "043" clone that Steve Timms is now using (shown later in the thread).

Just to let you know, Autolinea is the OEM foundry that supplied VW with their castings AND currently supplies CB performance with their "044" casting which is based on the original VW factory racing head or the "041".

Autolineas G03 casting is the same as the original 041 casting but has 40x35 valves instead of the original 39x32 that VW used.

Mofoco has heads made in the USA of various sizes.

My recommendation would be the VW casting that CB still sells called the banditio

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1470

or panchito if you want a bit more power

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1794

I'll have numbers to prove that incorrect this summer Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy, have you considered doing a head similar to DRD's L3 heads? Using your 040 MOFOCO casting.

RockCrusher wrote:
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, perhaps 37 by 33 valves with stock size ports and a nice valve job!

There seems to be demand for such a thing, the competition does not sell anything that equals an old fashioned souped up stock head
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
derluftwagen wrote:

I'll have numbers to prove that incorrect this summer Cool

Id like to see the numbers of the new china head that also has additional fins compared to the OE casting.

Notice the extra large fin at the bottom of the head, OE heads only have two solid fins while the new china casting has 3

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modoc wrote:
The 044 casting today has evolved significantly, I have OE 041 heads and there is not much similarity between 044 and 041.

The only difference I can see today is the added material above the ports so that welding is not needed, and the smaller plug to prevent cracking. Other than that the basic 044 has all the same qualities of the G03 or late brazil 041 (again other than the larger valve size 40x35 vs 39x32). The difference between the "early chamber" 041s and the 044s is night and day
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of the China heads, L7 turbo from DRD. Motor is currently being built, but they appear very nice. Beautiful port work, nice looking castings. I also just put together a motor with the L5s from DRD purchased from
John @ AC.net. These were also a very nice product and ultimately inspired me to sell my CNC'd 044s and buy the CNC's from Darren.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am looking around at heads.. The L3s say that they've had some port word done though they don't say exactly what.. Maybe just a pocket port? The only pictures that I can find are of the chambers and to me they look a little rough. Is a bowl blend/polish unrealistic with these motors? I couldn't find any actual pictures of the ports or anything...

I haven't tried e-mailing john or drd about the L3s yet but will eventually asking these questions. I realise that stock lacks but for every gain there is a loss somewhere, I'm unwilling to loose too much bottom end.. Somewhere I saw some mexican castings, seems like they weren't much less money than the L3s though.

I've read reviews that CBs 044 heads are rough too, seems they still have that ridge behind the valve from machining.
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip B. wrote:
I have a set of the China heads, L7 turbo from DRD. Motor is currently being built, but they appear very nice. Beautiful port work, nice looking castings. I also just put together a motor with the L5s from DRD purchased from
John @ AC.net. These were also a very nice product and ultimately inspired me to sell my CNC'd 044s and buy the CNC's from Darren.

This post is useless without pics Laughing Cool

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthWeber wrote:
Roy, have you considered doing a head similar to DRD's L3 heads? Using your 040 MOFOCO casting.

I can do anything Wink

Yes, I do make heads similar, I just don't list them separately. It's our basic 040 plus the port and polish. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I just got our foundry to double their output for me, I will have another order of castings in 2 weeks so now is the time to order.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: